willis_racing

I Liek Biek
Member Number
Loc
Edgewood, NM
2016 Focus ST and a 3 rail :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

20220612_124136.jpg
20220612_124150.jpg

Dear Cummins shitposters: My 25MPG towing is the average, not the instant :flipoff2:

Used to work with a guy that did hare scrambles in the Midwest. MO to TN to TX. He raced a '97ish CR250 and pulled it on a 4x8 trailer, with a truck toolbox turned lengthwise with all his gear in it, fuel jugs on the deck beside the bike, behind his CRX. :laughing:

the little tiny car CRX of the early 90s not the SUV thing they have now.

Last edited:
Forgot to take more pictures of it because I'm stupid and because I forgot to download my snapchat stories before they deleted.

1400 mile round trip this weekend, from Albuquerque up to Glenrock, WY for the North Platte Enduro. Hauling a single bike, a spare for the trailer, my dry break, some tools, a few spare fluids, and my gear.

It averaged 25.9 MPG on the way up (the flats the whole way from Pueblo to Fort Collins, it was getting about 27)
And dropped to 24.8 or so on the way back, had a bunch of head winds and a good bit of rain and storm coming back south through Raton.
This thing is incredibly comfortable and has no issues pulling 80mph on cruise for hours. Fuel range is limited to about 250 miles/tank with only 12 gallon tank, so I have to stop more than I'm used to but overall it's working as planned. My back would not have survived the trip back after that race in a truck.
20220620_113953.jpg
20220620_114517.jpg

These are the six speed manual cars correct? Can you still pull the high gear while towing?

These are the six speed manual cars correct? Can you still pull the high gear while towing?
Yeah, cruise control at 80mph in 6th. That speed is still 3000rpm though so that helps with torque output. On flat ground it's not even under enough load to register on the boost gauge. Hills and head winds it'll sit at about 6PSI or so.

Only time I had to downshift was a really steep hill south of Pueblo, CO, and even that is mostly because the ECU limits boost on cruise.

Nice. I feel like towing something as light as dirt bikes via car is overlooked by a lot of folks.

I had a Jetta TDI that would get about 35-40 with 2 bikes on a converted boat trailer.

13892056_1043769868992332_2038465272781140843_n.jpg

Then there is this guy I saw at a PA enduro lol

20180505_134055-L.jpg

Met this guy at a camp/ride for a local club, said he got 40-ish mpg with it (my old Excursion in the background that got a lot less mpg)

20200516_153923-L.jpg

I like it

Do you camp or hotel it?

I've considered something similar with a small enclosed that I could camp in
I've only been rocking this setup for about 3 weeks. In Wyoming I stayed in my aunt and uncle's 5th wheel, so that one was pretty easy.

In the future I'll be packing my Kamprite tent cot. It's a pretty easy sell for camping when all I have to do is unfold my tent, throw a sleeping bag in it and pack a few meals for a one night trip :smokin:

Nice. I feel like towing something as light as dirt bikes via car is overlooked by a lot of folks.
Hard agree. I met another guy in NM that has a one bike trailer he tows behind a really nice BMW and he scorches around at 100 towing it and then bombs the gravel roads out to riding areas. That dude is a madlad.
Is that a diesel rabbit truck? What an OG

Little cars are awesome. We had a 12' Versa 1.8 6spd on the tail end of my DH racing years. Load up 3 bikes on a light 4x6 trailer and with gear/tools in the hatchback and get 30mpg all over the east coast.

The full size GM high top conversion van it replaced was a better base camp/sleep rig (cash for clunkers)... eventually the Versa was traded back in on a newer conversion van haha.

Good parts runner too, it brought home my first and second sets of yota axles, tons of tires etc..

Top Back Refresh