What's new

MT-TOY'S 82 REbuild V119.0 build thread.

MT-TOY

Where's the comet?
Member Number
Loc
RVA and it's blue AF
20 year project 82 LWB. Some of you may remember this pile. Been tinkering lately after a decade hiatus. Last I updated my thread on Pirate was probably 2010. A lot has changed in 10 years and not with the truck. 2 cross country moves, 2 more crotch crickets, a new wife, and an 8 year stint going crazy blowing up/tearing down buildings 80 hours a week put a strain on my free time.

Good to see some of the OGs here.

photo833.jpg

photo834.jpg

photo14511.jpg

Rundown...
82 LWB DLX
3.4/auto/duals/2.28/4.7 geared. All Marlin adapters/gears/23 spline/Longfield output/twin sticks.
TG taco width axles with every widget they make to assemble except OG Bobby's 30 spline shafts/rear Moser full float axles. FJ80/V6 brakes all around.
Six shooter knuckles/hi steer/ trunnion eliminators
TG wheel hubs/spindles all around with their super ghey studs
40" Goodyear stickies
Custom flatbed
3" Skyjacker front springs on 14" Bilstein RR 6100s
rear 4 link/1.25 heims/2" uppers and lowers/14" Fox air shocks/Kartek 1-1/4 sway bar
Backhalved frame
3rd gen runner dash/HVAC/column/etc
Doved front
Hydro assist steering (need to install ram)
Full suspension seats. (Can't remember brand) custom b pillar hoop/seat cage for 4 pt harnesses
5:29 Yukon gears/Yukon spool
A bunch of time fuckin' with this thing.
wheelbase is 118-119" currently. Was 115 on leaf springs IIRC
Frame is 20-21"ish at ride height.
Uptravel is 6" in the front and about 5-1/2" out back.
Still have to install bump cans/bumps up front to finish front suspension off.

Last edited:
Love this truck, cant wait for the updates!!

I had a good run throughout the spring then summer temps hit and woodwork jobs came in. Been pretty busy making money instead of spending it.

Thanks Man. I'll try to update as I can and go back and take picks of shit I barely remember doing 😎

Not planning on going back to the OG build thread to retrieve posts.

Reworked the bed to have wheel wells and a place to mount shocks, sunk a 19 gallon fuel cell and a bigger toolbox to help keep COG low. Dual optimas are going in the driver's side well and CO2 tank on passenger side.

photo14513.jpg

I had a good run throughout the spring then summer temps hit and woodwork jobs came in. Been pretty busy making money instead of spending it.

Thanks Man. I'll try to update as I can and go back and take picks of shit I barely remember doing 😎

Not planning on going back to the OG build thread to retrieve posts.

Are you here on the east coast/south east now?

Yea I hear ya, I have an 8hr one way drive to anything cool down in KY and TN from up here in hellinois

I'm about 25 miles south of Richmond VA now. No decent wheeling anywhere near.

Petersburg? Chesterfield? Prince George Co? I grew up in that area, still know a few guys that wheel in that area.

Glad to see this build coming back into the mix, following for updates. :grinpimp:

There's wheeling in PA North of me and Tennessee southeast of me. All at least 200+ miles away. I haven't even found a testing spot yet. I don't like anything about Virginia except my wife and that's why I'm here. Planning on moving back to Montana eventually.

Petersburg? Chesterfield? Prince George Co? I grew up in that area, still know a few guys that wheel in that area.

Glad to see this build coming back into the mix, following for updates. :grinpimp:

Edge of the Appomattox river on the CH side. I'm a poor now😂
Not far from VSU
Good to see you here, Man. *Pirate salute*

Last edited:
Edge of the Appomattox river on the CH side. I'm a poor now😂
Not far from VSU
Good to see you here, Man. *Pirate salute*

Well at least you arent that far from some wheeling in the western part of the state and the interstate will let ya cover ground quick when you need to drive to go wheel somewhere. Alxj64 is also gonna be moving out that way in the next few months a little farther west of ya.

Next time you are in Petersburg check out King's Barbecue, good shit fo sho!!

Well at least you arent that far from some wheeling in the western part of the state and the interstate will let ya cover ground quick when you need to drive to go wheel somewhere. Alxj64 is also gonna be moving out that way in the next few months a little farther west of ya.

Next time you are in Petersburg check out King's Barbecue, good shit fo sho!!

I've eaten there! Tried to sell them some cherry scrap of my sawmill too.
I've been here since Feb of 2018 and traveled pretty much all over the state. Sure pretty here but the blue haired screechers in RVA are killing the vibe in short order. I've never seen such backwards shit as here. King Ralphie needs Kennedy'd soon.

Trying out an idea with a 3 chamber airbag that I'll fill or dump from the cab. Plumbed into the CO2 tank and controlled with a valve and gauge. Want to be able to lift the rear in a stuck or tow my sawmill into wood lots without getting stuck. It pivots at the axle to keep the bag relatively vertical during articulation.
It's probably a jackass idea, but it's worth a try. I don't plan on running much air. It's good for 13"-14" of travel vertically.

photo14544.jpg

FIRST daylight it'd seen in 8 years. I loaded it on the trailer and moved from Jackson MS to Virginia the next day. Then it sat another two years while I started my business and got settled into VA.

photo14557.jpg

It fits about perfect. The width is the same as a 1st Gen, but it's a lot taller. The runner dash bar almost fit and even bolted up on the driver's side (random threaded holes for relays/etc. I ended up lopping off the passenger side mounting tab on the bar and bolted triangle plates to both sides of the cab to weld the bar to. Then the dash pad bolts to the bar. The cowl curvature is slight off to the dash, but not enough to warrant trimming anything. I haven't gotten everything ironed out yet fitting everything and pedals/etc, but not too big of an issue. I've got everything apart currently to finish the brake pedal assembly and TLC master cylinder. My stock dash was an absolute cracked and rattling mess, so this swap is a major improvement and all the donor components in the dash bolt or screw right on and all the harness plugs plug in instead of repinning shit.
I'll try to get photos up soon about that.

Sweet. Wondering what happened to this thing. Be sure to post up pictures of the dash when you get a chance.

I always liked the bed on this truck cool too see it over here and getting some upgrades

I had a few distractions throughout the years. This was a Jimmy's 3rd hand U4 fuck bucket we bought and refurbed. It sold and went to Phoenix. Haven't seen hide nor hair of it since the flat billers bought it.
The proceeds then went to a Top Shelf chassis with some TG racey parts. It got made into a roller and due to work/time constraints, James at BTF took it and made it a runner.

484678_480095505359072_1478780280_n-1.jpg

IMG952013060195183222.jpg

IMG_20130704_185034_591.jpg

IMG_20170704_192531416.jpg

New truck day! I haven't had a new ride in 15 years, so....
2019 taco Longbed. Holy hell, a reliable vehicle again...the old Dodge 2500 is wore out at 280k

photo15950.jpg

Top Back Refresh