What's new

MPG of a stock h1?

larboc

Limestone cowboy
Member Number
Loc
Da yoop
Anyone have a good estimate of the mpg of a 6.5 powered H1 at a constant speed?

Right, I was guessing for empty.
They don't weigh as much as I thought they did before hauling one for my buddy...
My 6.2 CUCV Blazer wouldn't get any lower than like 11.8... as heavy as I ever hauled with it, which is way way way more than I should have.
I'm assuming you mean military as well, not civilian.

Right, I was guessing for empty.
They don't weigh as much as I thought they did before hauling one for my buddy...
My 6.2 CUCV Blazer wouldn't get any lower than like 11.8... as heavy as I ever hauled with it, which is way way way more than I should have.
I'm assuming you mean military as well, not civilian.
correct, 11k lb m1151

correct, 11k lb m1151
This will make the most difference. The uparmored ones are absolute dogs compared to a soft side. The weight took most of the capability out of the HMMWV, even with getting a “better 6.5”. Not that a soft side is a rocket ship rock crawler, but feels like it after riding in an uparmored one.

I never looked at what mileage they got while in the service, but it can’t be good. (We had mainly M1165s and M1152s, but same difference)

My guess is 8mpg cruising.

We had one. Civilian version. We got 14 on the highway once. Otherwise it hovered around 8-10 mostly in town driving.

Nobody wanted to drive it on the highway. Top speed was like 65 engine screaming. Loud, noisey inside. The tires, since they had the inflate/deflate setup would not balance so it would shake you to death.
Seems like we did ball joints every couple of months.

Some parts you just had to dream up on your own because they were not available. Like the blower motor resistor and blower motor. Seems like we did something stupid with reverse polarity and a freightliner fan motor. It worked fine becuase it was all mounted in plastic.

Heavy slug, undomfortable. It was a novelty.

We had one. Civilian version. We got 14 on the highway once. Otherwise it hovered around 8-10 mostly in town driving.

Nobody wanted to drive it on the highway. Top speed was like 65 engine screaming. Loud, noisey inside. The tires, since they had the inflate/deflate setup would not balance so it would shake you to death.

Some parts you just had to dream up on your own because they were not available. Like the blower motor resistor and blower motor. Seems like we did something stupid with reverse polarity and a freightliner fan motor. It worked fine becuase it was all mounted in plastic.

And none of that gets better with age. :lmao:

My pal that has one is a soft sided, I think he said it weighs in the 5-5500# range. Seems Ackritt based on how it felt on the trailer.
Driving it around, it feels pretty light on it's feet for a 6.5.

military Humvee usually tops out at 8 or 9 miles per gallon highway or 4 around town. The low mileage is one factor that makes military Humvees less than ideal for long road trips.Feb 2, 2021

A better hwy gear ratio would help with overall better mileage.

I dont recall at least the early ones had a OD transmission,

yep. i had a rich customer/ friend with one and he insisted i drive it for camping trips. he just wanted the cool factor. it was a civilian wagon. one of the nicer i have seen and well taken care of.... i hated driving that pos.

yep. i had a rich customer/ friend with one and he insisted i drive it for camping trips. he just wanted the cool factor. it was a civilian wagon. one of the nicer i have seen and well taken care of.... i hated driving that pos.
Yep that sums it up. LOL ours was a 2 door pickup style. Everyone wanted to drive it until they actually drove it.

Top Back Refresh