What's new

Moving a cinder block structure

Ebs

`
Member Number
Loc
MI
Can a cinder block structure be jacked up and moved, or will the thing just fall apart?

Getting way ahead of myself in this scenario, but neighbor listed their place for sale, they're marketing it as a fancy buildable lot. There's an existing cinder block 2 car garage on it. It'd have to move maybe 100-200' to be in a good spot on my property. Worth the trouble?

I doubt it's free, they're listing it as a lot so they don't have to address any issues the building may have, but it's most likely adding value, and will add value to the buyer to store their shit while building... so I doubt it's being offered

And I don't it can be moved, I can only imagine the amount of lovingly tied rebar it would have to have been built with to survive

Your best bet is to dig all the way around it and under it the best you can, then go around and secure everything, I mean airtight, every thing that's loose, every door jamb, every crack in the mortar, you're going to need it perfect, fuckin airtight. The roof is going to become a bigger part of the structure than ever imagined for a move like this. You're going to need to doze and grade the entire path, nearly laser smooth. Once all that is done your going to install special bulkhead fittings through a secure portion of the structure to pump in the helium.

I was just thinking in a scenario where if it was otherwise getting demo'd, if it was viable to move it, I could save the buyer demo costs and only cost me having pros come move it. Win win deal. Prob not worth it vs just having something built.

I was just thinking in a scenario where if it was otherwise getting demo'd, if it was viable to move it, I could save the buyer demo costs and only cost me having pros come move it. Win win deal. Prob not worth it vs just having something built.
Back a trailer inside the building, remove wheels and drop trailer to the ground. Stack enough pallets or whatever to support beams that go up and touch the bottom chord of the trusses (you may have to add something to the trusses to stiffen where the beams touch).

Jack up and reinstall wheels and drive off with your covered trailer.

Salvage what else you can out of the block structure and doze the rest.

Now, where's the pics!

Cut any ties to the block. Lift roof off. Set on new foundation :flipoff2:

99% of house cinder block builds are going to fall apart.
Now, if you knew it was 100% rebar in every course and cell with 100% grout fill it would probably be ok.:laughing:

Yes it can be moved.
Disassemble, move, and reassemble.
This.

99% of house cinder block builds are going to fall apart.
Now, if you knew it was 100% rebar in every course and cell with 100% grout fill it would probably be ok.:laughing:
And this. Unless they slugged every course you basically have a big lego set that's going to fall apart as soon as you try to move it. Odds are they didn't fill any courses on a residential build.

if you get the right tool you an move it
they are inexpensive

1714078023207.png

What about helicopters? :flipoff2:

The best Tueday idea I could come up with is if you could jack it up some how and set it on a bigass I-beam perimeter and now you have everything supported and a skid to move it on. I'm sure the cost would be close to what a dude setting block all day for a new garage would cost.

What about helicopters? :flipoff2:

The best Tueday idea I could come up with is if you could jack it up some how and set it on a bigass I-beam perimeter and now you have everything supported and a skid to move it on. I'm sure the cost would be close to what a dude setting block all day for a new garage would cost.
Most of the way there, except lay some pipe down on the ground to act as rollers; and you won't need an expensive helicopter.

:flipoff2:

Could you? Sure but I wonder if it’s worth it. I think you’d need I beams around the perimeter and then join them together then wheels or maybe bevel them so you cxan use as skids. The beams you need most likely exceed the value of the building I’d guess. Idk how you’d get them under each side without cracks/crumbling what’s above it in the stack.I don’t think you could do the typical pass through style where you notch out 1 block and slide the beam in

It could be done, but probably not worth it. they moved an entire pizza hut building here a few years back, but it was a 20x30 or so brick building on a slab. they dug around it, and put beams under the entire slab, relocated it about 15 miles away. I can't imagine what it cost to do.

I don't see why not with the proper planning.
Clamp a piece of steel inside and out , then cross more to contain all 4 sides. jack, dolly and roll it over to your property.
I moved a two car wooden garage with a car trailer. Just did what I mentioned along with some cross braces.
YMMV

It could be done, but probably not worth it. they moved an entire pizza hut building here a few years back, but it was a 20x30 or so brick building on a slab. they dug around it, and put beams under the entire slab, relocated it about 15 miles away. I can't imagine what it cost to do.

I mean, if I can get the slab I'll take that too. :homer:

whoa...
stone-house-move-edgeworth-pa.jpg

See what the walls are made of. I would probably brace ithe walls vertically and horizontally every 4ish ft, cut the wall at the first course, knock out enough of the course to lift it, throw some sort of beams under it and go.

Top Back Refresh