What's new

Moving 850 miles away when you're a redneck

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Looks like we'll be finally moving in the next month or few. A uhaul would be nice, but we own 2 trucks and 2 trailers, so I feel like I should be able to do this without paying uhaul out the ass with price per mile, plus the 5 mph it will probably get.

To help move, we have:

97 F350 CC 8 feet of American steel bed like God intended
:usa:

15 F150 CC 5.5 feet of basically useless recycled beer can dipper bag compartment, and to make it worse it has a overpriced piece of fiber glass covering it. At least that's how the internet views them. :flipoff2:

7k 16' landscape type trailer with the angle iron sides and a ramp.

14k 14x7 dump trailer, 2' sides with 2x12s on top.

To move from the house we have:

Large completely sectional couch (the backs, sides, bases and cushions are all individual) so easy to pack and use as fill in.

Refrigerator

Washer/dryer

Kids bunk bed, that can be broken down

Toddler bed

King bed (this may not go since we bought a small house and it might not fit in the room) :laughing:

Plus whatever clothes, house hold stuff, kids toys ect. No TV, no dressors, no dining room table.

From garage:

Miller 211, bottle and cart

Small plasma

Tube bender on semi truck drum base

Vice on semi truck drum base

4x4 welding table

Large horizontal/vertical bandsaw (7x14 iirc)

20t press

Stand up drill press

Roll around tool box

Plus a small amount of Misc tolls, parts and fluids, ect.

Vehicles to move:

81 Toyota truck, doesn't currently run, but it's a Toyota, so I'm sure it would fire right up :flipoff2:

87 samurai, runs and drives (would possibly make the drive, but not planning on that at all :laughing:​​​​​​)

99 suzuki vitara crawler project, currently in pieces, rear axle is under it, but front would take some work (frame is cut at the firewall and 3 link 1/2 mocked up)

96 4runner (no problem making the drive if it works out that way)

Oh, plus 2 large, 1 huge dogs, 1 cat and 3 kids.

My plan was to get 2 big tarps, lay them in the trailers. Put all the house stuff on the landscape trailer, and all the garage stuff in the dump trailer, then wrap the tarp over the top. Anything that I'd be more concerned about getting wet could ride in the shell of 150 or back seat of the 350 (welder, plas, M18 stuff, ect) if those aren't enough, there is the long bed on the 350. Camper shell will mostly have the dogs in it.

So that's trip #1

That leaves 4 vehicles left. Fortunately, I have a handful of friends or family who have property I can store them at until I can come get them. But I'd rather not have my shit all spread out. I did find a buddy who has a 40' gooseneck. By rough measurements, that should fit the samurai, vitara and either the 4runner or 81 toyota. The only problem with that is, I have to bring the trailer back. I figure I could load the landscape trailer on the gooseneck for the way back and pickup the last vehicle on trip #3.

An I crazy for not hauling my stuff in an enclosed box? My neighbor has a 40' enclosed trailer that I could easily fit everything I own in, but again, I have to bring it back.

​​​​​​

Sounds like you'll need to make another trip back for vehicles anyway so who cares about having to return the 40' trailer?

This^^^^^. Having an enclosed is just piece of mind when you have to stop somewhere, You don't have to post a guard to keep things from walking off. Also, if it rains it's nice to not have to worry about it. I moved halfway across the country with a 32' gooseneck toy hauler. If it didn't fit in the trailer it didn't go with us.

Sounds like you'll need to make another trip back for vehicles anyway so who cares about having to return the 40' trailer?

If I didn't have to return the trailer, I could just have the wife drive the 4runner behind.

Either way, it's still saving me trips, so I can't complain too much.

You’re going to have to make multiple trips regardless. I wouldn’t sweat having to return a borrowed trailer. I would do trip one with the enclosed. Have her tow the landscape trailer.

trip two borrow the goose

trip three, grab what’s left and the dump

she and the kids only need to do trip one

Last edited:
If I didn't have to return the trailer, I could just have the wife drive the 4runner behind.

Either way, it's still saving me trips, so I can't complain too much.

You aren't saving anything if you leave vehicles behind to come back for later. Use the big trailer, even if you shove a couple cars in packed full and pack around them so the return trip can bring one of your trailers left behind and more shit with you.

Which direction are you moving? I'll assume not south. :laughing:

40 ft enclosed. You're gonna want peace of mind of not losing shit or worry of anyone taking anything.

that's a long days drive distance.

i'd probably find a friend or family to store the vehicles you won't be driving, load up the two running trucks with trailers and fit what fits. everything else goes to yard sale/goodwill/scrap/dump.

then the next time you come back to visit friend/family, bring the trailer and one at a time get the rest of the cars moved.

You’re going to have to make multiple trips regardless. I wouldn’t sweat having to return a borrowed trailer. I would do trip one with the enclosed. Have her tow the landscape trailer.

trip two borrow the goose

trip three, grab what’s left and the dump

she and the kids only need to do trip one

I'm not really sure if I can even use the enclosed really. I think if I asked, he would say yes, but that's an expensive and easily damaged trailer to borrow. They also use it every weekend for racing, so I don't know how that would work, especially since it will take quite a bit of time to load and unload. Also not 100% sure if I can get it in the new driveway :laughing:

My other neighbor has a ~22' enclosed, but I don't know him well.

I wish that uhaul or similar had a 16-20' enclosed trailer you could rent. Their largest enclosed is still pretty small.

You aren't saving anything if you leave vehicles behind to come back for later. Use the big trailer, even if you shove a couple cars in packed full and pack around them so the return trip can bring one of your trailers left behind and more shit with you.

Which direction are you moving? I'll assume not south. :laughing:

You don't like baja ca? :flipoff2:

Personally I never want the liability of something happening to a borrowed trailer when I have my own I can use.

Well, that's what's insurance if for. Or if it's minor, it's just a flat gooseneck. But, I get what youre saying, that's why I'm hesitant on the big enclosed.

that's a long days drive distance.

i'd probably find a friend or family to store the vehicles you won't be driving, load up the two running trucks with trailers and fit what fits. everything else goes to yard sale/goodwill/scrap/dump.

then the next time you come back to visit friend/family, bring the trailer and one at a time get the rest of the cars moved.

It's about 14 hours. So not terrible, if you leave early.

That's the backup plan. I just don't like having my stuff spread out, and don't really want to drag a trailer back and worth that many times.

tl;dr You were crazy enough to type all that up :grinpimp: It would take me at least 4 semitrailer loads to move, so yours should be easy.

Typing it out helps since I can come back and look at it later.

What's funny is that 2 years ago, we lost everything but the 4runner and F350. All that shit has been acquired since. I also forgot to put the trailer full of spare parts I gotta figure out what to do with :laughing:​​​​​​​

I prefer Uhaul box trucks when moving.

I moved a few times over the years and learned one valuable lesson: get the biggest uhaul truck they have cuz you always have more than it appears.

Load up, drive to new place, unload, drop off truck, done. One vehicle.

My last move was out of a 2 bedroom apt into a 3 bedroom two-story house. I rented the longest truck Uhaul offered and filled it completely end to end top to bottom. Only issue was it would not get up my steep-ish driveway without scraping like the titanic on the iceburg.

I drove an hour and half in the green speed zone (best mileage speed) and gas needle barely moved. I think it was about $20 in gas.

I prefer Uhaul box trucks when moving.

I moved a few times over the years and learned one valuable lesson: get the biggest uhaul truck they have cuz you always have more than it appears.

Load up, drive to new place, unload, drop off truck, done. One vehicle.

My last move was out of a 2 bedroom apt into a 3 bedroom two-story house. I rented the longest truck Uhaul offered and filled it completely end to end top to bottom. Only issue was it would not get up my steep-ish driveway without scraping like the titanic on the iceburg.

I drove an hour and half in the green speed zone (best mileage speed) and gas needle barely moved. I think it was about $20 in gas.

Because 80 miles is the same as 850?

Just the rental alone is $3000:laughing:

Plus ~$400 in fuel.

Switch the zips and its $750, so many people moving out of CA, they're having to pay to haul/drive them back empty. Plus I'd still have to come back for other vehicles.

Trailers are significantly more expensive in north id then where we are at. Buy a 40' gooseneck and sell it out there when you are done for 3-5k profit.
Have your wife tow the landscape trailer witg house stuff and make your first trip with all your kids and wifes junk. Get out there and spend a week or 2 getting set up and the famy settled in. Then come back and haul the rest of the stuff

Yard sale, Craigslist and offer-up. There is similar junk / stuff wherever you are moving to.

Use your own trailers, take the small valuable items and sell the large invaluable items. Couches and appliances are NOT worth moving that far. I have done it and no longer have any of the large items. Make your tools and you wife’s kitchen items a priority.

Cash has no problem making the 850 mile trip.

Yard sale, Craigslist and offer-up. There is similar junk / stuff wherever you are moving to.

Use your own trailers, take the small valuable items and sell the large invaluable items. Couches and appliances are NOT worth moving that far. I have done it and no longer have any of the large items. Make your tools and you wife’s kitchen items a priority.

Cash has no problem making the 850 mile trip.

Out couch is $5k retail (we didn't pay that, but really like it) and our appliances are brand new, but whatever you say :laughing:

Trailers are significantly more expensive in north id then where we are at. Buy a 40' gooseneck and sell it out there when you are done for 3-5k profit.
Have your wife tow the landscape trailer witg house stuff and make your first trip with all your kids and wifes junk. Get out there and spend a week or 2 getting set up and the famy settled in. Then come back and haul the rest of the stuff

Unfortunately, all our money is in the bank, so a big purchase like that may be a red flag to the underwriter. Plus I don't need more trailers :laughing:

Find one and buy it, I'll deliver and sell it for free :flipoff2:(kinda serious?)

You asked. Report back in 3 years.

$5k couch is more valuable than your beaters. Leave those behind and haul your couch.

the hard part is "what to do with it"

yard sales for couches and tables seem like a tough sell, not sure what things are even worth on craigslist. the whole "too nice to take to the dump" mantra is like a damn trap for collecting crapp

Got any buddies with toyhaulers/horse trailers? Last time I moved I borrowed my buddies toyhauler. We fit the entire apartment in that thing.

What about equipment rental places with large enclosed trailers?

I didn't read it, but sell as much house shit as possible. Sell aa many of your projects as possible

buy an illegal California box truck and drive it, then sell it when you get there for a profit

Top Back Refresh