What's new

Mounting a shit spreader box to a truck.

billybob_81067

Redneck
Member Number
Loc
Southeastern Colorado
I figure some of you guys would have some ideas on how to properly mount a manure box to a truck.

I have a 1978 F-700 with a manure box on it. It was welded directly to the frame, and that caused the frame to crack propagating from the weld. Obviously I know it was not mounted properly and I need to fix that. So the plan so far is to drill and weld up the frame crack, fish plate the frame, and then figure out some proper mounting system for the box.

What design/style of mounts would you all recommend to attach this thing to the frame. I'm thinking about mounting one end solid with some properly made brackets/mounts and bolting through the side of the frame and using flexible mounts on the other end. Would I be better to solidly affix the rear and let the front flex, or solidly mount the front and allow the rear to flex?

0411171113.jpg

0411171113a.jpg

0411171113c.jpg

no solid mounts.
put some strips of hardwood on top of the frame, lay box on top, make body mounts for it hanging off the frame and use springs.
You must allow the rear of the frame to twist.
THis. Typically see rigid mount at the rear and captured springs (large bolt with springs around it) at the front, with wood, plastic or rubber between the frame rails and the frame. Typically 4 points of connection: 2 rigid at rear frame, 2 spring-loaded at front. I have seen with 3 points of contact (single springloaded bolt at front).

Not sure if it applies the same but box trucks I have seen have strips of wood between the truck frame and bed with U-bolts clamping it together. I was under the impression the wood and u bolts would hold it solid but would allow minor movement to keep things from cracking like you are seeing.

Does it need to be able to dump like a grain bed/dump truck to unload?

Not sure if it applies the same but box trucks I have seen have strips of wood between the truck frame and bed with U-bolts clamping it together. I was under the impression the wood and u bolts would hold it solid but would allow minor movement to keep things from cracking like you are seeing.

This is what I see a lot. My 10yd. dump box however only attaches at the cylinder at the front, and the hinge plate at the back. OP, I'm guessing there is a conveyor that moves the poo towards the back instead of dumping the box back?
Regardless, would it be an option to mount it in 3-points like a dump truck box mounts to let the frame flex? Two mounts at the back, middle of the cross member at the front.

To properly spread manure you need an International Harvester Loadstar. Why you think they're called 'shit spreaders'? And, quit tossing my alias around so casually. Seriously, three mounting locations. Front, mid and rear. Long U-bolts around the frame. If you use a wood pad between box/frame make it hardwood like white oak. Tankers use a rubber like pad 1/2-5/8" thick. Wotchu got, chain drive floor running off a PTO?

I can't imagine the joy of welding to a manure spreader.

Hell it cleans up fine with a pressure washer. No different than any other rusty steel.

No it does not need to dump

This is what I see a lot. My 10yd. dump box however only attaches at the cylinder at the front, and the hinge plate at the back. OP, I'm guessing there is a conveyor that moves the poo towards the back instead of dumping the box back?
Regardless, would it be an option to mount it in 3-points like a dump truck box mounts to let the frame flex? Two mounts at the back, middle of the cross member at the front.

To properly spread manure you need an International Harvester Loadstar. Why you think they're called 'shit spreaders'? And, quit tossing my alias around so casually. Seriously, three mounting locations. Front, mid and rear. Long U-bolts around the frame. If you use a wood pad between box/frame make it hardwood like white oak. Tankers use a rubber like pad 1/2-5/8" thick. Wotchu got, chain drive floor running off a PTO?

Yup it has a chain drive floor that runs the shit back towards the beaters. Pto runs a hydraulic pump that you can adjust the swash plate on for variable flow rate, and then that in turn runs a hydraulic motor that runs the floor. The beaters are driven directly off the PTO.

I actually just bought a 1983 international S-series truck yesterday. :laughing:

Bushings on all four corners. Just weld three pieces of pipe to a steel plate and throw leaf spring bushings in the pipes and do that at all four corners. You need a lot of rubber to support that shit.

If you're only gonna do bushings at two corners make the rear solid like everyone else said.

Since that frame hates life a 3pt mount would be better since it would let it flex more but since this is farmer ghetto fab stuff I have zero expectation of you actually doing that. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh