What's new

Mountain Biking

scooter2374

walk home clown
Member Number
Loc
Red Bank, NJ
It's been about five years since I've ridden anywhere. Tired of the noises coming out of my ancient Judy rockshock. My cousin is trying to help me either build a new bike or score some parts to redo my Kestrel. I'm tired of being fat, old and lazy. I would settle for just old.

Unfortunately, mountain bikes don't really age the way dirt bikes do. New geometry and standards for everything make upgrading an old bike sorta futile. You would save yourself some headache getting a new bike.

Also, this may be sacrilegious for a lot of people, but if you're looking to get back into it, look at an ebike. Preggo wife got one to be able to ride a little longer before she had to hang it up and you definitely still get a work out riding one. The new stuff is really good.

Where are you located and what kind of trails do you want to ride? What is your budget? How tall are you?

Depending on those answers, you might be able to get by with a decent hardtail. ~1500 new. You might also be into the full suspension market, about 3k new. If you are of a normalish size, you might have luck in the used market. I would shop there if I could, but XL bikes that I like aren't easy to find.

I ride a Specialized camber comp carbon all over tennessee and arkansas. I love it and won't be going back to a hardtail anytime soon.

5'8" with short legs. Have a Kestrel Rubicon Comp dual suspension that I built back in '99.

KM1WeRJl.jpg

I wish it was that easy. Work has slowed to a crawl and have $0 expendable cash at the moment. If/when work picks up I could see myself buying into a new(er) bike but not ATM.

I have a Proflex with a Girvin front end stuffed up in the attic that looks a lot like that, between the bobbing when climbing because of the high pivot and the Girvin moving in a J form it flat sucked. I'm all about riding older stuff that works, that High Pivot design got shuffled out pretty quick.
KM1WeRJl.jpg

I have a Proflex with a Girvin front end stuffed up in the attic that looks a lot like that, between the bobbing when climbing because of the high pivot and the Girvin moving in a J form it flat sucked. I'm all about riding older stuff that works, that High Pivot design got shuffled out pretty quick.

Yep, I regretted buying it when I moved to CO later that same year.

Wheels are the big deal for me an older hardtail with a choice set of wheels and a 100mm front would be nice.

My old mountain bike made a nice gravel bike and then I got to buy a new 29er :smokin:

I didn't ride at all last year, trying to get my shit setup for this year. This dropper post cable is driving me fucking nuts. It's worked flawlessly for the past four years, but now it's decided to start fucking with me. I don't remember it being so damn picky to setup the first time, but getting the tension right is a massive PITA. It either wants to stay locked out all the way up or not rebound and it all has to do with the damn cable tension and I'm about to sling the damn thing out into the street. I know it's the cable because if you disconnect the cable and operate the lever on the post by hand it works flawlessly.

I didn't ride at all last year, trying to get my shit setup for this year. This dropper post cable is driving me fucking nuts. It's worked flawlessly for the past four years, but now it's decided to start fucking with me. I don't remember it being so damn picky to setup the first time, but getting the tension right is a massive PITA. It either wants to stay locked out all the way up or not rebound and it all has to do with the damn cable tension and I'm about to sling the damn thing out into the street. I know it's the cable because if you disconnect the cable and operate the lever on the post by hand it works flawlessly.

I just got a bike with one last July I think, I don’t know how I went so long without one, game changer. If you give up, I’d recommend the bike shop by qdoba/Home Depot

I just got a bike with one last July I think, I don’t know how I went so long without one, game changer. If you give up, I’d recommend the bike shop by qdoba/Home Depot

Yeah, they've always treated me right. I just broke down and bought a new cable for it today.

Not sure how hard you go, but I found a gnarly illegal downhill trail off of the Dedisse Trail last week bushwhacking around with the kiddo and dog. It drops off the main ridge and ends right at the bridge going across Bear Creek just past the golf course. Several big gap jumps and a 30-40 foot cliff drop that's probably in the 45 degree range. The whole trail is probably in the 20-30 degree range. It's the real deal. I'll stick to just hiking it. LOL!

Yeah, they've always treated me right. I just broke down and bought a new cable for it today.

Not sure how hard you go, but I found a gnarly illegal downhill trail off of the Dedisse Trail last week bushwhacking around with the kiddo and dog. It drops off the main ridge and ends right at the bridge going across Bear Creek just past the golf course. Several big gap jumps and a 30-40 foot cliff drop that's probably in the 45 degree range. The whole trail is probably in the 20-30 degree range. It's the real deal. I'll stick to just hiking it. LOL!

Sounds pretty fun but a bit too hardcore for me yet. I’ve been going to the new down hill trail by the antique store at the top of Floyd hill off the frontage road and getting used to it but I suck(or too pussy) compared to most of the guys I see, I kinda enjoy just the mellow trails with less people more.

Finding pretty much anything bike related is a motherfucker right now. Of course my wife decided this summer that she wanted to get a bike to tag along on some easier rides. Took two months to find her a decent little entry level Kona hardtail. When it was just me, I was just tossing my bike in the back of the 4Runner and taking off. Can't do that with two bikes. Now we need a bike rack. Took another two months to find one of the ones I wanted available. At least components for the most part are readily available. I overhauled my bike this summer with a new drivetrain and wheel set.

121547708_10159004398028023_4619581356855796723_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=n-sMO5JAs3IAX8_X6_E&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&tp=14&oh=afd74a2dafaa2e969d452b190d9fb2df&oe=5FADB4BF.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	121547708_10159004398028023_4619581356855796723_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=n-sMO5JAs3IAX8_X6_E&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&tp=14&oh=afd74a2dafaa2e969d452b190d9fb2df&oe=5FADB4BF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	507.7 KB ID:	161912

​​​

Leaves are still green, you must’ve moved

​​​​​​Yep. Back in western NC currently. Sold the house in June. We're looking to bounce back out west next summer. We'll see if it's western CO or Montana, probably western CO. That's what the wife wants and access to southern Utah is pretty awesome so that'd be fine by me too.

Top Back Refresh