What's new

Mount pics

Tin Roof

Rusted
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
Post up pics of your mounts. These two are a couple of old ones that I have that mean a lot to me. The one on the left I shot when I was 16, just over 30 years ago now. The one on the right I watched my sister shoot around the same timeframe. She’s passed away so I like having it around for the memories.

59AB902A-87F2-4387-BC3A-75E62E6780F0.jpeg

Good idea. Will post my only two when I have a minute. One shoulder, one euro. Not big deer for many areas, but both FL public land 10 pts.

D1153B08-17EB-413C-ADF4-A85D99AF8899.jpeg

9401BEF6-5DA6-4CF3-B635-17DC4944301D.jpeg

Last edited:
Tin Roof
I see that.... then I think of the terrain up yourway... then I think of an old saying

"Don't skip the first day what you'd take on the last"

And that was what changed me from a trophy hunter, to a meat hunter.

Although I love the misery of a good hunt.

Nice mounts. :beer:

First buck. Got him a couple years ago.

And here’s a pic of him on the game camera shortly before I got him.

Attachments

• C940A847-707E-4290-83E7-367A2C978925.jpeg
    C940A847-707E-4290-83E7-367A2C978925.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 2C4651A4-FBE3-49E8-8355-C8D504895A73.jpeg
    2C4651A4-FBE3-49E8-8355-C8D504895A73.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 15
IMG_1382.jpg
IMG_2163.jpg

I had never lost a deer until this evening.
It was right before dark, let my .300 WinMag loose, and he disappeared.
I was heartbroken, I was scared I wounded him.
We searched for 2 hours and nothing more than a scrape from where he bolted, and a blood spot the size of a half dollar.
Next morning, we searched again and found him completely devoured and not 15 yards from where I shot him.
I did find my entry and exit. It was a little low, missed his heart is all I can assume.
150 grain forward of his right shoulder, exited behind his left.

IMG_2164.jpg
IMG_2165.jpg

This one is for fun.
My first deer, shooting my dad's 7 mag Weatherby.
Scoped myself...
If you notice, this South Texas whitetail has a rare (as far as I know), ancient genetic.
Canine teeth.
I have shot many deer in my life, and I have yet to see another with these fangs!
If any of you have, please post them up!

IMG_1382.jpg
IMG_2163.jpg

I had never lost a deer until this evening.
It was right before dark, let my .300 WinMag loose, and he disappeared.
I was heartbroken, I was scared I wounded him.
We searched for 2 hours and nothing more than a scrape from where he bolted, and a blood spot the size of a half dollar.
Next morning, we searched again and found him completely devoured and not 15 yards from where I shot him.
I did find my entry and exit. It was a little low, missed his heart is all I can assume.
150 grain forward of his right shoulder, exited behind his left.

how far away was that shot?

guided a guy who knocked one down at 130 yards-ish. spinal shocked him for about 5 minutes. stood up after and ran off. he lived for 3 more years atleast. hit him too high behind the shoulder and got into that void up there. 300 win mag and ultra mag at close distance just doesnt open up enough unless it hits substantial bone, not just ribs. lucky you did find him.

Not really a mount, but a deadhead I found on our property a few years ago while bow hunting. Still has velvet on, I’m guessing by where I found it that it was hit by a car. Beer can for size reference, don’t judge me on my beer choice tonight. :flipoff2:

C3FF8753-2591-4A94-8A45-C47807659C08.jpeg

Try desiccants, those little white packets filled with beads...

... you probably got some in the pockets or bottom of your purse...

Admit it, you'd rather be in the field than dealing with this supply chain:flipoff2:
Sorry, couldn’t hear you over the Taylor Swift song I had cranked up. :flipoff2:

Don’t even get me started on the supply chain. Almost 30 years in the trade and I’ve never seen anything like this.

how far away was that shot?

guided a guy who knocked one down at 130 yards-ish. spinal shocked him for about 5 minutes. stood up after and ran off. he lived for 3 more years atleast. hit him too high behind the shoulder and got into that void up there. 300 win mag and ultra mag at close distance just doesnt open up enough unless it hits substantial bone, not just ribs. lucky you did find him.

How does this make sense? Closer shot, higher velocity = bullet opens up more. Longer range, lower velocity = bullet opens less. Bullet design also makes a huge difference. I shoot Barnes TTSX and they always open up and rarely shed much weight.

Top Back Refresh