What's new

Most superior work boots?

ConwayMuddy

Dis member
Member Number
Loc
Jerkwater wi
I need to replace my redwings a.s.a.p. and could use suggestions. Dont know which model they are, but they are 6" with external metatarsal guards. They lasted about 9 months before the soles started to fall apart. Looking at replacement redwings, the reviews arent great, boots falling apart fast and poor customer service.

I'm currently eyeballing some carolinas with the external metguards but I'm open to suggestions. I dont want a steel toe sneaker or faggy slip on cowboy boots. Just some basic steel toes with external metguards.

I do have some gripfast boots that I love, and have thought about cutting the guards off the redwings to throw on them. Last resort...

So, what are you wearing, what's good, what sucks donkey dick?

I wear Whites, because my right foot is fubar from getting run over by a cow years ago. Thorogood is a decent boot made in USA, might look into those. I've only had slip on ones from them and redwing.

Most comfortable slip-ons I've ever worn were Doc Martins. I did a job where I had to have a lace up that went over the ankle, found a Cat boot that was very light and comfortable.

Can't you get a metguard to add to just about any lace up boot? I have no real experience with them, but I do remember welders having something on their boots that wasn't actually part of the boot. It was something they bought and laced in.

I have custom built boots. Local shop, called Viberg boots. They will rebuild, repair, or resole as needed.
My dad has a pair pushing 20 years old. He's had em rebuilt 3 times, resoled 5 I think? Plenty of loggers and equipment guys with older pair than that around town too.

Maybe there's someone around your neck of the woods that builds boots?

Reebok Rapid Response. It has an oil slip resistant sole composite toe and/or side zip are options. It's available in 6"-8" heights and your typical .mil colors. It's a very supportive boot so buy a wide version or half a size bigger if you have any doubt about fitment.

Also they're only a hundred bucks a pop and last 2+yr of constant walking on asphalt.

My vote would be for thorogood. Best boots I've ever owned. I've had several guys at work try them and not go back to there old boots again.

I alternate between a pair of thorogoods and a pair of docs. Both are regular steel toe, no met guards. I had met guards once on a Redwing boot and they got hung up on all sorts of things, fawk that. Job doesn't require the metatarsal, so I don't bother anymore.

I bought a set of RedWings Logger boots last year. Not a fan at all. Took forever to break in. They're all sliced up from who knows what. The insides slide out each time I go to take them off. Honestly the Chipps I had before were great. But those were bought about ten years ago, so I'm under the impression they've swapped hands since then causing the quality to go down.

I'm a big fan of rotating boots. If you wear the same pair every day, especially if you are in a humid climate they never really dry out. I wore the Timberland Pro's with the composite toe for many years. My feet look like they belong to Fred Flintstone, with high arches and wide across the front, so I have to get a really wide boot.

Chippewa Super Logging boot, steel toe - 2 pair bought four years ago. Just sent them out to get stitched up again.

Trying a pair of Thorogood Men's American Heritage 8" Moc Toe - Safety Toe while my Chippie's get repaired. So far, very comfortable for an old man boot.

Also bought a pair of Thorogood Men's VGS-300 Series - Static Dissipative Slip-On, Composite Safety Toe Oxford for garage work, when I need to slip my shoes on/off often.

So far, very comfortable, too.

Chippewa Super Logging boot, steel toe - 2 pair bought four years ago. Just sent them out to get stitched up again.

Are those the :usa: ones? I checked them out and they were something like $500 or something stupid. There were all these normal boots, then this one series of Loggers that were totally made in the USA for twice as much.

edit: nevermind. They were RedWings @$400 (come down in price now it seems) https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/lo...html?cgid=work

Last edited:
Are those the :usa: ones? I checked them out and they were something like $500 or something stupid. There were all these normal boots, then this one series of Loggers that were totally made in the USA for twice as much.

edit: nevermind. They were RedWings @$400 (come down in price now it seems) https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/lo...html?cgid=work

Yes, the Made in USA ones. I won't buy anything else have to be US made.

https://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-Apac...4236151&sr=8-7

These. I have a brown pair and a black pair.

Last edited:
Yes, the Made in USA ones. I won't buy anything else.

https://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-Apac...4236151&sr=8-7

These. I have a brown pair and a black pair.

Yawp, that's what I had before I bought these RedWings. I had them for like six or seven years. Beat to shit. Eventually they somewhat snapped in half. The shank in the middle broke through. I wanted to buy them again, but I was being told that Chippewa boots weren't what they used to be. Got these RedWings and wasn't impressed.

Punched in "Thorogood" into Amazon. Got a decent chuckle:

Question:
Do they come in a soft toe?

Answer:
I doubt it, they are made for men.

:laughing:

Kind of late but I had a custom fit pair made by Franks Boots in a 6" tall and I think they are 1.25" heals. i had them made for office boots and had to promise Frank I wouldn't use them for real work but the damn things feel great. I had been wearing a couple pair of Redwing Heritage boots and have been happy except for the life.

I can't complain about the redwing because the midsole came apart and I was told by the dealer they wouldn't repair them, I was pissed and told them to send them back anyway so I could bitch. I was surprised they came back fully rebuilt. I had already ordered the Franks.

My feet and ankles are fawked. I paid for some extra ankle support, calf skin lining, and the custom fit. The only complaint I've had is they weigh as much as my 10" whites. But I can wear them all day including standing at a computer on a concrete floor at a computer (conference calls in the garage) for hours and feel fine. That hasn't happened ever. Even though these are home boots now and super expensive I really want to order a pair for I can tear up for everything else and ditch any other shoe.

One other note is Frank warned me the ankle support increases the break in time from 40 hours to 60. It takes every bit of that. Before these I can't remember a time in the last 20 years I wasn't craving an Advil at the end of the day. The Redwing's I was wearing were close but not even in the same category as these.

What I thought I liked
https://www.redwingshoes.com/heritage/mens/Classic-Moc-00875.html?cgid=mens-heritage

what I really like. Mine are the Wiltshire whine I think are the front range in a dress leather.

https://franksboots.com/casual-boots/

I wear them every day. They're awesome.

I want to find an insulated pair.

I dont know if they make insulated ones. These are the ones I usually buy. They have a gore tex like liner in them and it makes them hot. Might be your best bet . I'm planning on making them my winter boots and buying some like you have for summer.
Screenshot_20201029-175710_Chrome.jpg
20201029_175731.jpg

Call thorogood. I thought they used to do insulated as a custom option. It was a long time ago. I like that sole as well, except on snow and ice. I was burning through the soles every 4 months or so and still kept them.

Another good moc build boot are russels. You can get those insulated. They also offer a toe cap and turtle hide for those trashing them working on their knees. I really want a pair of the high country boots, they are $$$.

Never updated. Picked up some assembled by union folks in America carolinas. Holding up well so far. Taller but lighter than the redwings they replaced, comfortable without insoles, a little roomy, but I haven't had heavy socks on for winter yet. Only real gripe is the nasty paint I get to deal with sticking to the soles, but that crap sticks to everything. Hopefully they dont dissolve like the redwing soles did.

I'm a big fan of rotating boots. If you wear the same pair every day, especially if you are in a humid climate they never really dry out. I wore the Timberland Pro's with the composite toe for many years. My feet look like they belong to Fred Flintstone, with high arches and wide across the front, so I have to get a really wide boot.

Boot and glove dryer for the win. Never deal with soggy shit again. I use a powered one but they make them to sit on ductwork and such.

Never updated. Picked up some assembled by union folks in America carolinas. Holding up well so far. Taller but lighter than the redwings they replaced, comfortable without insoles, a little roomy, but I haven't had heavy socks on for winter yet. Only real gripe is the nasty paint I get to deal with sticking to the soles, but that crap sticks to everything. Hopefully they dont dissolve like the redwing soles did.

Which model #?

I'm a big fan of my chippewa boots. Have had them a while, they've held up very well to all sorts of mud, hot metal work, etc.

Reebok Rapid Response. It has an oil slip resistant sole composite toe and/or side zip are options. It's available in 6"-8" heights and your typical .mil colors. It's a very supportive boot so buy a wide version or half a size bigger if you have any doubt about fitment.

Also they're only a hundred bucks a pop and last 2+yr of constant walking on asphalt.

I just picked up a pair of them, in 6" height. Man, I have to say they don't seem to be very comfortable. Hopefully they break in.

I just picked up a pair of them, in 6" height. Man, I have to say they don't seem to be very comfortable. Hopefully they break in.

Yeah they take a bit. My current pair were really tight on the top. Took about a week to break them in but I work in an office and don't exactly work them hard.

Yeah they take a bit. My current pair were really tight on the top. Took about a week to break them in but I work in an office and don't exactly work them hard.

My main issues is that there is zero padding around the back and sides of the heel. It's rock hard. I wonder if mine are missing some padding?

To be fair, my usual "boots" are Keen hiking boots, which I've always found to be very comfortable. But I wanted to try these Reeboks because of the zipper for taking them off and putting them on faster, and also to have some toe protection, as I'll be doing a fair amount of work on my vehicles this winter I hope.

I've found that it is indeed faster to take off and put on, but it's not exactly easy to do, haha! I'm hoping once they break in, the boot will move a lot more and will be easier to take on and off.

Last edited:
My main issues is that there is zero padding around the back and sides of the heel. It's rock hard. I wonder if mine are missing some padding?

To be fair, my usual "boots" are Keen hiking boots, which I've always found to be very comfortable. But I wanted to try these Reeboks because of the zipper for taking them off and putting them on faster, and also to have some toe protection, as I'll be doing a fair amount of work on my vehicles this winter I hope.

I've found that it is indeed faster to take off and put on, but it's not exactly easy to do, haha! I'm hoping once they break in, the boot will move a lot more and will be easier to take on and off.

Just let it break in. Mine are fine and I don't have any of the issues you're talking about. They are kind of a bitch to break in. I'll give you that.

Just let it break in. Mine are fine and I don't have any of the issues you're talking about. They are kind of a bitch to break in. I'll give you that.

guess I'm not used to that, since I normally wear hiking boots, they don't usually need to break in much. I'll stick with it, see how it goes :-)

Top Back Refresh