What's new

Most superior dual use tire in 35x17?

RusM

Amateur Viking
Member Number
Loc
North Bend WA
What's the verdict on the best tire for daily driver and off-road with some periods of snow and ice? BFG AT, COOPER STT Pro, Pitbull Rockets, Goodyear MTR, Patashitias?

Looking for something a bit better than the BFG AT that came stock on my Heap in a 35x17, but need it to be able to handle icy freeway driving as well as wheeling. :homer:

What's the best at everything? Obviously, thornbirds, where have you been the last 30 years?

Duratracs seem to have lots of praise in snow driving, and probably aren't bad oof road. You obviously have to give up a little here to gain there. Good rock crawling tires aren't good ice tires and visa versa.

I've had my eyes on Nitto Ridge Grapplers for a while, Everything I've seen and heard has been great about the balance between wear and traction

I have duratracs on my tundra in the 35” flavor. They eat the snow. Can’t speak for off-road, but I’m sure they’d perform okay.

Edit. Also the kanati trail hog is basically a duratrac knockoff

Love my cooper AT3 xlt for all of those reasons and they last a long time and are quiet

I’ve ran too many tires in search for a good all terrain. Right now I have a set of Falken Wildpeaks 285/75R17 LT E range. They ride softer than the 35” KO2 C range. Track better, quieter, wear better without the feathering that KO2 get on the shoulders. The 285 LT seems to be the best size for the wheel as it doesn’t bulge like the KO2 315 and the sidewall doesn’t flex as much for better steering. Ride comfort is firmer but not as harsh. Toyo MT and AT were too harsh and loud. Cooper starts off ok then get hard and loud, same as Duratrac. Wildpeak P rated are a very different tread and carcass compared to the LT. The LT is not too hard for a 1/2 ton bombing down fire roads with small rocks and roots or washboards.

I’ve ran too many tires in search for a good all terrain. Right now I have a set of Falken Wildpeaks 285/75R17 LT E range. They ride softer than the 35” KO2 C range. Track better, quieter, wear better without the feathering that KO2 get on the shoulders. The 285 LT seems to be the best size for the wheel as it doesn’t bulge like the KO2 315 and the sidewall doesn’t flex as much for better steering. Ride comfort is firmer but not as harsh. Toyo MT and AT were too harsh and loud. Cooper starts off ok then get hard and loud, same as Duratrac. Wildpeak P rated are a very different tread and carcass compared to the LT. The LT is not too hard for a 1/2 ton bombing down fire roads with small rocks and roots or washboards.
Love the falkens.

I expect to get 15k miles out of the duratracs on the f350 before the get loud AF. Will be replaced with falkens

The only reason I run the duratracs is because I get a 25% discount on Goodyear and Kelly tires through USAA, and if you have it, you should look into the discount.

The only reason I run the duratracs is because I get a 25% discount on Goodyear and Kelly tires through USAA, and if you have it, you should look into the discount.
Where do you find this discount and does it include mounting and balancing?

Where do you find this discount and does it include mounting and balancing?
I honestly don’t know, my wife handles it. I don’t think the discount covers mount and balance, but we did have the tires shipped right to the tires shop. She just told me it’s through their online portal. You just gotta dig for it. Or just call them. They are always super helpful and receptive.

Toyo M/T, Nitto Ridge Grappler, Nitto Trail Grappler.

The BFG ATs are hard to beat for icy roads and snow. Anything that gives better performance in the mud will probably go worse than your BFGs on icy roads and snow, and mud is really the main place the BFG AT doesn't shine since they load up. I live in the high Sierra desert around Carson City/Reno and BFG ATs are great for around here. If you are gonna switch to something more mud capable then probably something with bigger voids that still has the three peak rating.

I like Duratracs in the snow... but the 17" version of the 35" is D rated instead of E rated in the 16". They wear faster, and rated ~800# less.

I went with General Grabber AT but in the 37" size on my JKU. The tread is a little like the BFG AT. They are cheaper, have good reviews online, and I have had good service from General LT tires before. I like them so far.

Had the Ridge Grappler on my Dodge Ram in a 37", loved them. I have them on my Colorado also but in a 35". They wear great, do awsome in the snow when aired down. The only thing I don't like is they suck on wet pavement, but I think that is because they are E-rated on a small and somewhat light truck.

My next tire will either be the Wild peak or the Nitto Exo Grappler. I don't do much mud or trail riding anymore, mainly pavement and snow and icy roads in the winter.

I like Duratracs in the snow... but the 17" version of the 35" is D rated instead of E rated in the 16". They wear faster, and rated ~800# less.
My 35x12.5r17 duratracs are E rated.

Ok, I stand corrected - they are E rated.... but 3195# instead of 3860#, and wear faster.
Usually a tire that wears faster has softer rubber, which flexes a little better and grabs ice better, and rocks too.

I'd take 20k miles in a dual use tire.

I put 315-70-17 on my Dmax. Started with the H2 bfg at take offs. They're ok at everything. Went to the old style Cooper STT,lots better in muddy pastures,worse on road. Then Duratracs. Better than bfg at,especially snow and ice around here.,worse wear though.
Now on Nitto exo grappler, went down to 285-70-17,worse off road than duratracs,but so far wearing little better.

I really like the General ATX.

maybe some people are tired of me talkin about how happy I was with these
however I won 1st place in my class at the 4 Wheel Jamboree 2008 Nationals.. with these.. in the mud bog

except that link is for 35s, and I won my trophy with 37s
33d.gif

I had 37" SSRs and they would constantly hydro plane in any amount of wetness on the street, were square and as an added bonus sucked offroad. I drove them in flurries once and thought I was going to die.

I used to DD a set of bfg KM2s for a long time, I would run them on a daily again, whatever the new style is. They were good in evrey condition and I would give them a meh in light snow, but good in deep snow. I also had BFG KOs and would take the KM2s (are they on 3now?) Any day over them just for the extra offroad performance and close inroad performance. They wore like iron as well.

285-75-18 (35x11.5-18) on my SRW Ram 3500 4WD. Towing, commuting and aired down to about 20lbs on the beach. Another vote for the Nitto Ridge Grappler over Cooper AT3 and Toyo Open Country MT. I've had all three and prefer the Ridge Grappler to the point that I'll probably get another set. The Toyos were tough as nails but were loud and I wore them out in about 30k miles. The Coopers were awful to keep balanced, sucked for traction below 25% tread and I was constantly plugging/patching for nails and screws. I expect to get about 35K - 40K out of the Ridge Grapplers and would get another set.

33d.gif

I had 37" SSRs and they would constantly hydro plane in any amount of wetness on the street, were square and as an added bonus sucked offroad. I drove them in flurries once and thought I was going to die.

I used to DD a set of bfg KM2s for a long time, I would run them on a daily again, whatever the new style is. They were good in evrey condition and I would give them a meh in light snow, but good in deep snow. I also had BFG KOs and would take the KM2s (are they on 3now?) Any day over them just for the extra offroad performance and close inroad performance. They wore like iron as well.
x2. SSRs are the shittiest tires made. Look at them 1 too many times and the sidewalls blow out.

I loved my duratracs when I had them. Probably the best all-around tire I've had so far. I just recently got some Toyo RT's but havnt tested then off road yet. On road performance and noise is great though.

I had Padagonia MTs between the previous two... they were good enough in mud, and didn't send me sliding off the road in rain, so that's good I guess. The downside was they were really loud and the road and did not wear evenly. They are really cheap and you get a lot of tire for your money. I think they would be fine for a dedicated trail rig, but I wouldn't put them on a daily driver again.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh