What's new

Most expensive Remington 870

Aisin

Grumpy old fuck
Member Number
I’ve always had a thing for Remington 870s. I carried one briefly while deployed to the desert. I bought this one 20 years ago when I was home on leave. I ended up selling it to my buddy Ian. It sat in his safe for 15 years. His older brother killed a couple of deer with it during that time. He gave it back to me about 5 years ago. Last month I said fuck it. I efiled a form 1 and it came back approved in under a month. I cut just over 5 inches off the barrel. Definitely a handful with the shorter barrel. Tuesday I’m taking it to get laser engraved. After that it will be going to Vang Comp to get worked over. It will be almost $1K with all of their work. I realize I should have just bought a Benelli or a Beretta but my 870 love is everlasting.

Attachments

• 2E3749B2-38FE-47A4-8A7E-5E7412EF1214.jpeg
    2E3749B2-38FE-47A4-8A7E-5E7412EF1214.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I only asked because of the sight.
Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Did you cut and crown the barrel yourself?

I only asked because of the sight.
Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Did you cut and crown the barrel yourself?
I’m saving the last inch for the gun shop. Hence the mark on the tape. I cut that bitch with an angle grinder and ran several boxes of 00 through to crown it. :flipoff2: Vang Comp is waiting on their sights so I will have them reattach the front rifle sight for now.

You should pattern it then do it again after the work is completed to see if there is a change.

You should pattern it then do it again after the work is completed to see if there is a change.
They guarantee a 10 to 12 inch pattern at 25 yards with their barrel mods.

Make sure you engrave the receiver so you can still swap barrels.

The only real thing they do is lengthen the forcing cone.

Make sure you engrave the receiver so you can still swap barrels.

The only real thing they do is lengthen the forcing cone.
Receiver is getting engraved Tuesday. They also back bore the barrel and put a choke where there wasn’t one.

Receiver is getting engraved Tuesday. They also back bore the barrel and put a choke where there wasn’t one.
Yes, I know that. Lots of people can do that, the point was, there isn't any magic to what they do. Most people don't/can't mess with the forcing cone, thats the only thing different they do. Makes a big difference in some guns.

The comment about engraving location was because many people choose to engrave the barrel on SBS/SBR's instead of the receiver. Thats all.

Yes, I know that. Lots of people can do that, the point was, there isn't any magic to what they do. Most people don't/can't mess with the forcing cone, thats the only thing different they do. Makes a big difference in some guns.

The comment about engraving location was because many people choose to engrave the barrel on SBS/SBR's instead of the receiver. Thats all.
Didn’t say there was any magic involved. You stated the only thing that they do is open up the forcing cone. That’s incorrect.

Back in the day before the JM930, I made my own. Chopped the barrel at 20" and sent it off to some shotgun wizard. Back bored, forcing cone, and choke. Even with 8" of barrel missing it patterned better and more consistently. To my shoulder if feels like there was some recoil reduction as well.

Top Back Refresh