What's new

Most compact way to locate a rear axle

ProjectTwin

Member Number
So...here's the background on this project.

I have a '06 Scion xB. It's ugly and white. I call it Toast Malone.

Anyway, the tranny took a shit. Started pulling it and found that someone had pieced this thing together with engine/trans from the junkyard.

So I picked up a '95 S-10 rolling chassis. Has the same track width.

I have a '66 Chevelle that will be getting an LS swap...so I'll have an "extra" 283/powerglide sitting around.

The plan: V8 xB on a back-halved S-10 chassis.

I've seen two of these built in the past but they both REALLY ate into the interior space with a huge Z in the rear chassis. I want to keep as much interior cargo (audio) space as possible.

I'm currently thinking a radius arm setup would be the most compact way to go. One of the mini truck guys told me to run a 2-link setup because that would be compact.

Ideas/suggestions? Is there a simpler solution I'm overlooking?

This won't be a quick build by any means. We're talking Sceep levels of progress. Glacial time scale. Just trying to formulate a plan of attack at this point.

Last edited:
What you're looking for is commonly called "truck arms" it's what chevy trucks used from 62ish till 72. Hell nascar still uses it to this day as far as I know.

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0029_M.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	368606

Keep in mind that you can use links behind the rear axle instead of in front of it, although I'm not sure if it would accomplish what you want.

What you're looking for is commonly called "truck arms" it's what chevy trucks used from 62ish till 72. Hell nascar still uses it to this day as far as I know.

That's the basic design of the 2-link kit I referenced in my original post. Since there are no heims there how much lateral movement do they have? Enough to warrant a panhard/Watts?

Keep in mind that you can use links behind the rear axle instead of in front of it, although I'm not sure if it would accomplish what you want.

Planning on fuel cell behind the axle. I've seen 4-links with two front, two rear.

Why not do a complete irs setup?

Would love to but have a 54" track width. Haven't seen anything with IRS at that width.

That's the basic design of the 2-link kit I referenced in my original post. Since there are no heims there how much lateral movement do they have? Enough to warrant a panhard/Watts?

The 2 link the mini truckers talk about is basically truck arms that run straight forward to the stock leaf spring mounts. The arms are so short any suspension movement makes for huge pinion angle changes. Truck arms are long with bushings at the frame end on factory setup, they're also triangulated. They do use a panhard.

There is a reasonable amount of room around the rear axle on an xb for activities but the floor is gonna get chopped since the soon to be driveline tunnel is tiny. But I bet you already figured that part out. :laughing:

Planning on fuel cell behind the axle. I've seen 4-links with two front, two rear.

Would love to but have a 54" track width. Haven't seen anything with IRS at that width.

maybe e36 bmw. 55ish IIRC.
What's a miata rear end?

At this point I'm thinking everything in the rear will end up being fabricated. I really don't want to buy a $650 kit if it won't work for what's built in the rear.

Ideally I cut about 10" out of the middle of the S10 chassis, find something like that kit that'll bolt up, put the thing on coilovers/bags, and go...but I know it won't be that simple. :laughing:

The 2 link the mini truckers talk about is basically truck arms that run straight forward to the stock leaf spring mounts. The arms are so short any suspension movement makes for huge pinion angle changes. Truck arms are long with bushings at the frame end on factory setup, they're also triangulated. They do use a panhard.

There is a reasonable amount of room around the rear axle on an xb for activities but the floor is gonna get chopped since the soon to be driveline tunnel is tiny. But I bet you already figured that part out. :laughing:

Yeah, I noticed they were short as hell. Didn't see the appeal there. I guess they set pinion angle at ride height and everything else is tossed aside.

Trans tunnel isn't a huge deal. I just want to maintain cargo space. The Miata rear seems like a simple, bolt-in solution...after an 8.8 conversion. :laughing:

What about a subframe from an e28? Track width is a bit wider than you want but doable and compact.
post-34123-0-97667600-1359918895.jpg

At this point I'm thinking everything in the rear will end up being fabricated. I really don't want to buy a $650 kit if it won't work for what's built in the rear.

Ideally I cut about 10" out of the middle of the S10 chassis, find something like that kit that'll bolt up, put the thing on coilovers/bags, and go...but I know it won't be that simple. :laughing:

If you have fabricate it all no it won’t be that simple. If you buy a bolt in kit for a S10 it could be easier. If you’re using the back half of an S10 blazer I’d go with Thorbec Brothers just because it’s what they have focused on for twenty years. They can sell you a whole five link with bags in the rear if you want.

Yeah, I noticed they were short as hell. Didn't see the appeal there. I guess they set pinion angle at ride height and everything else is tossed aside.

Trans tunnel isn't a huge deal. I just want to maintain cargo space. The Miata rear seems like a simple, bolt-in solution...after an 8.8 conversion. :laughing:

Mini truckers for the most part don't understand geometry at best and at worst are proponents of terrible shit.

I'm not sure you'd even need the 8.8. have you weighed that xb? They are glorified tin cans at best. I want to say my ex's was barely over 2k

Mini truckers for the most part don't understand geometry at best and at worst are proponents of terrible shit.

I'm not sure you'd even need the 8.8. have you weighed that xb? They are glorified tin cans at best. I want to say my ex's was barely over 2k
Google says that the stock curb weight for a 2006 xB is 2,425 to 2,469 lbs

Aaron Z

I'm going to add audio. It'll end up as a 2-seater. It's going to end up being a fat pig once the steel cage is built for the 24s. That's why I want to retain as much floor as possible.

Primary concern is keeping the distance from floor to roof around 50 inches if possible.

I'm going to add audio. It'll end up as a 2-seater. It's going to end up being a fat pig once the steel cage is built for the 24s. That's why I want to retain as much floor as possible.

Primary concern is keeping the distance from floor to roof around 50 inches if possible.

That poor tuna can is gonna get fucked up by them subs. :laughing:. I look forward to the build.
​​​​

Have debated that too.

Compact, cheap, and easy. And if you're beefing the chassis up the frame rails will be nice to work from.

Hell, you could actually just use the S10 frame and drivetrain and body swap the Scion onto it. :laughing:

Speaking of that, what's the plan for front suspension? Use the Scion macpherson struts and just keep the CV outer stub to preload the bearings?

Compact, cheap, and easy. And if you're beefing the chassis up the frame rails will be nice to work from.

Hell, you could actually just use the S10 frame and drivetrain and body swap the Scion onto it. :laughing:

Speaking of that, what's the plan for front suspension? Use the Scion macpherson struts and just keep the CV outer stub to preload the bearings?

S10 front suspension with coil-overs or bags with 2" drop spindles. Thinking bags on the rear would be ideal for weight.

As I said earlier, it'd be nice to just cut ~10" out of the middle of the S10 chassis and plunk the Xb down. The trick to that is getting it to sit and look like a normal xB. I'll have to get the things in the shop and on the lift first. Too busy for that now. That's why everything is being thought over right now.

The two guys I've seen that have done this have both used the S10 front suspension and rear axle.

One dude kept the factory "frame rails" under the xB body, grafted to them then skinned them with steel plate.

The other dude just grafted to the front and from the built a full back-half from that point. Huge Z in the rear that eats into the cabin space.

I have a miata here you could have, just a few hours north of you

I think it would work good for what you are trying to do

Oh, shit. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh