What's new

More craziness in CA. Repeal affirmative action?

92 Green YJ

General Lee Jeep
Member Number
Loc
Mariaville, ME
so I just stumbled on this and I am co platelet confused and flummoxed. The state wants to overturn the affirmative action program that makes it illegal to discriminate based on race, sex, religion, etc. how the hell does this make sense or help anyone? Be repealing it, they make it legal to discriminate. WTF?

https://news.yahoo.com/california-affirmative-action-vote-prompts-051540913.html

. SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The California Assembly on Wednesday decided to let voters choose whether to overturn the state's 24-year-old ban of affirmative action programs — capping an emotional hours-long debate in the Legislature that highlighted tension between the state's Asian and black communities.

The proposed amendment to the state's Constitution, which still must pass the Senate and be approved by voters, would repeal a 1996 amendment that banned “preferential treatment” based on race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin. The push has gotten a boost recently from the worldwide protests over racial injustice and police brutality prompted by the death of George Floyd in Minnesota.

But the repeal effort faces strong, organized opposition from many in the state's Asian community, who fear it would make it harder for them to gain admission to the state's prestigious public universities — where students of Asian descent have been overrepresented.

Democratic Assemblyman Evan Low, who is of Chinese descent and shares an apartment with his police officer brother in Silicon Valley, said sitting elected officials in his district have asked him things like: “Why are you voting against your own people?” He said his office received more than 3,000 emails and phone calls opposing the repeal compared to just nine in support.

Low said that tension in the community spread to the Legislature, noting that no one from the Asian and Pacific Islander Caucus signed on as a co-author of the repeal. Wednesday, Low called out the Assembly Black Caucus for not contacting him to ask him for his vote or even to just talk about the issue.

“What am I to do, without even having the decency of a conversation to discuss the difficulties of race?” Low asked his colleagues on Wednesday. “If we can’t even have these tough conversations, what do you think is going to happen to the electorate?"

Low eventually did vote for the repeal, telling The Associated Press in an interview he voted “yes” because of his commitment to social justice and his belief that “injustice to one is injustice to us all.” But he acknowledged it will likely hurt him politically, saying office has received calls from constituents threatening to recall him from office.

Low added he did not run for office for "self-preservation.”

“How do you go to a Black Lives Matter rally and say, ‘Yes, I am with you,’ but then all of a sudden say, 'Oh, well, not here, not on that part,” Low said.

Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, who authored the repeal, apologized on the Assembly floor just before the vote for not contacting lawmakers individually. She said the physical distancing requirements because of the coronavirus and the Legislature's shortened session made it difficult to do that.

“I’m so grateful I didn’t have to convince you that racism is real because George Floyd did that,” Weber said. “So that was one conversation I didn't have to have on this issue.”

Assemblyman David Chiu said not everyone in the Asian community opposed the repeal, saying “over 100 organizations and community leaders representing hundreds of thousands of Asian Americans support this measure.”

Not everyone was convinced. Assemblyman Steven Choi, a Republican from Irvine who was born in South Korea, said he opposed the measure because it would “legalize racism and sexism.”

“I do not want to live in a state where the color of my skin or my race or my sex or my national origin determines my qualifications for a position, a job or entering to a college,” he said. “I came here to this country to get away from ideologies like that.”

The Assembly voted 58-9 to let voters decide whether to repeal the amendment. If the state Senate concurs by June 25, the question would be added to the November ballot — further intensifying an election year that already includes a presidential contest.

Since the 1996 amendment, at least seven other states have adopted similar policies: Washington, Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, Arizona, New Hampshire and Oklahoma. A constitutional amendment in Colorado failed to pass in 2008.

“This is not the same California that voted on this 25 years ago,” said Assemblyman Miguel Santiago, a Democrat from Los Angeles.

Hispanics surpassed whites in 2015 as the state’s largest ethnic group. As of 2019, Asians account for 15.3% of the state's population while African Americans make up 6.5%.

At the University of California system, Asians account for 30% of the undergraduate and graduate student population, followed by whites at 24%, Hispanics at 22% and blacks at 4%. California State University, the nation’s largest four-year public university with 23 campuses and nearly 482,000 students, has a student body that is nearly 75% people of color.

ah, just read the article. confusing thread title is confusing.

CA is trying to BRING BACK affirmative action :shaking:

More craziness in CA. Repeal affirmative action?

Reading comprehension owns you today :homer:

They're debating repealing the ban on preferential treatment, so they can reinstate race-based discrimination.

EDIT: Affirmative Action is racial discrimination, which was outlawed in 1996.
They're looking to return to racism because that's "fairer" than equal treatment, somehow :confused:

Last edited:
uneducated people demanding social changes without doing the homework.

Hey, if they wanna dump the affirmative action stuff, I am all for it. Tired of white shaming by people who have enjoyed govt mandated preferential treatment for decades and managing to make no appreciable improvement in their lives. Level the playing field and those who choose not to train and practice will live with their decisions.

So they have a veto proof majority and then vote 58-9 to let the voters determine what is going to happen? They are big time sissies for not rubber stamping their name to some pile of junk. I'm even more scared to see how they word the proposition to screw Calif residents.

AA is nothing but pure racism against whites and asians. Period. Never should have been, never should be.

They're debating repealing the ban on preferential treatment, so they can reinstate race-based discrimination.

They're looking to return to racism because that's "fairer" than equal treatment, somehow :confused:

That sucks. Well, it is par for the course in Cali. Lets continue to race to the precipice and find out just how bad things can get.

Right? Like I don’t get it. Affirmative action was supposed to combat racism and sexism and whateverism. Wasn’t the whole point and idea to ensure that companies and schools had to look at everyone based on their merits instead of their sex or race? Now they want to repeal that which would basically mean companies and schools can now do just that and hire on whatever they feel they want? You are a dude who likes dudes? Sorry, doesn’t fit our company image. Even though you are otherwise the perfect candidate no job for you. Affirmative action was supposed to make it so you couldn’t do that.

I dunno but 2 things come to mind...
1 they get paid to waste taxpayers $$$ (and free haircuts to?!)
2 "if it makes sense don't do it"

I would love the chance to vote on ALL the fukkin b.s. Laws they write!

Right? Like I don’t get it. Affirmative action was supposed to combat racism and sexism and whateverism. Wasn’t the whole point and idea to ensure that companies and schools had to look at everyone based on their merits instead of their sex or race? Now they want to repeal that which would basically mean companies and schools can now do just that and hire on whatever they feel they want? You are a dude who likes dudes? Sorry, doesn’t fit our company image. Even though you are otherwise the perfect candidate no job for you. Affirmative action was supposed to make it so you couldn’t do that.

you are backwards

CA repealed it in the 1990's. AA has been out the window since.

They are trying to BRING IT BACK! and that, is dumb.

it is equally as dumb as mandating that C-corps over a certain size MUST include a woman on them or face a fine of ~$200k/year. So, pay a woman $150k per year as a token or pay the state $200k per year? Yeah, that is a superb idea :homer:

hire the right person fer the job no matter if its a white male, :mr-t: , or woman or anyone in between.
I’ve been saying the same thing for years. A prospective employer should have resumes with no names, ages or gender listed on them. Just the experience and qualifications listed.

I’ve been saying the same thing for years. A prospective employer should have resumes with no names, ages or gender listed on them. Just the experience and qualifications listed.

Absolutely agree. For the majority of jobs, this would be just fine.

Affirmative action hasn't been a thing in CA for decades. AA needs to go

you are backwards

CA repealed it in the 1990's. AA has been out the window since.

They are trying to BRING IT BACK! and that, is dumb.

it is equally as dumb as mandating that C-corps over a certain size MUST include a woman on them or face a fine of ~$200k/year. So, pay a woman $150k per year as a token or pay the state $200k per year? Yeah, that is a superb idea :homer:

AA was supposed to have a time limit, even before the SCOTUS tested it in the 1970s.

This entire racial show is preparation to either win in November, or if Trump wins and gets at least 1 more pick, set up the battle to keep all of that Liberal-agenda legislation.

The two Institutions that have fought hardest for AA are the University of Michigan and University of Texas.

For once, California is not the upholder of Liberal agenda.

UMich and UTexas probably have 2,000 people involved in administering Race-norming in each Institution. Of course nationwide the number is countless, how many people are involved in making sure that White people give up some of their opportunity for Minorities?

It's a huge industry with a vested-interest base, and it won't go away unless SCOTUS rules or the Federal Government outlaws it.

I was a "victim" of AA years ago

A guy was promoted before me because (I feel) they needed more brown NCO's

The guy could barely walk and chew gum at the same time :homer:

It seems you think Affirmative Action is anti-discrimination - it's the exact opposite of that.
Affirmative Action is race-based rules, quotas, etc. (e.g., saying you need to have "x" percentage of "x" racial group by law).
To clarify: Affirmative Action is not equal treatment, it's straight-up discrimination based on race, sex, etc.

I was a "victim" of AA years ago

A guy was promoted before me because (I feel) they needed more brown NCO's

The guy could barely walk and chew gum at the same time :homer:

Hell, if that was the Marine Corps, that's probably why he would have gotten promoted, since he couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time; no chewing gum in uniform! 😝

nahhhh....those other things matter. If I am hiring a babysitter its going to be a women. If I want a bodyguard its going to be a dude. I should be able to hire who I want for my business without having to justify it to equality police.

AA lives on in government and larger companies every day, but voluntarily. I've personally seen many hirings purely because of race. College admissions is highly raced based, but not officially.

Ya gotta scratch yer mind if you want to get ahead, or stay in front of the army ant swarm. Change your name to Sanchez de la Vaca, Jamaican Hispanic lesbian identifying.

Ya gotta scratch yer mind if you want to get ahead, or stay in front of the army ant swarm. Change your name to Sanchez de la Vaca, Jamaican Hispanic lesbian identifying.

My last name is Portuguese, it sounds “Hispanic” (Adopted at birth, I’m very Caucasian)

Both of my girls were accepted to every college they applied to. They had great grades and test scores, but I still wonder if the name had any weight in getting acceptance letters

https://www.kcra.com/article/african...gyzdypBKIk-NEw

speaking of crazy CA stuff :laughing: :(

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
A proposal to establish a task force to study and prepare recommendations for how to give reparations to African Americans passed the California Assembly on Thursday.

The bill advanced with a 56-5 vote as protests nationwide over police brutality re-energized the movement for racial justice and activists pressed for sweeping reforms. It is a top priority for California's Legislative Black Caucus.

Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, a Democrat from San Diego who wrote the bill, said the study would reiterate California's history of abetting slavery, even as it joined the union as a “free state” in 1850

https://www.kcra.com/article/african...gyzdypBKIk-NEw

speaking of crazy CA stuff :laughing: :(

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
A proposal to establish a task force to study and prepare recommendations for how to give reparations to African Americans passed the California Assembly on Thursday.

The bill advanced with a 56-5 vote as protests nationwide over police brutality re-energized the movement for racial justice and activists pressed for sweeping reforms. It is a top priority for California's Legislative Black Caucus.

Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, a Democrat from San Diego who wrote the bill, said the study would reiterate California's history of abetting slavery, even as it joined the union as a “free state” in 1850

Reparations for stuff that happened 200 years ago before anyone talking about this stuff was even thought of. Gotcha. We are already broke from supporting the millions of illegal border jumpers here. Where does Newsom plan to find all this extra money to give to black people just because they are black?

Reparations for stuff that happened 200 years ago before anyone talking about this stuff was even thought of. Gotcha. We are already broke from supporting the millions of illegal border jumpers here. Where does Newsom plan to find all this extra money to give to black people just because they are black?

well, the weather is nice and people keep voting for higher taxes :rasta:

Top Back Refresh