What's new

IA Montyspawn's grandad's ride, 1972 C50 with low mileage on 427 GM Goodwrench engine.

So… had a guy contact me fro Florida via email from my CL ad. Seems legit. One of you losers?:flipoff2:
I’m going to call him this evening. I’ll let y’all know.

Any luck?

The only way I could feasibly make this work would be if I had someone haul it, which would be as expensive as the truck itself.

Any luck?

The only way I could feasibly make this work would be if I had someone haul it, which would be as expensive as the truck itself.
So, the guy seems legit. He's into Chevelles and wants to make a car hauler out of it. He seems to know a lot of details about it and wanted the kind of information from me you would only ask if you were serious. He also can't come to get it for about 2 months. He wanted to wire the money but I told him he could either send me a check or a cashier's check in the mail. If he's going to be 2 months coming to get it, I've got plenty of time to ensure the transaction is legit. Now, if he "all of a sudden" can get it next week, then the deal is most likely off. He's split on driving it back to FL or hauling it. He says he is in the process of buying a dual tandem, and I told him the way it is geared he would probably enjoy that trip more:laughing:.

So, we shall see. I spoke to him about 1/2 and hour, and I'm generally disposed to distrust. I think this is at least 80% legit. Either way, I will be strapped when I meet the guy:flipoff2:

So, the guy seems legit. He's into Chevelles and wants to make a car hauler out of it. He seems to know a lot of details about it and wanted the kind of information from me you would only ask if you were serious. He also can't come to get it for about 2 months. He wanted to wire the money but I told him he could either send me a check or a cashier's check in the mail. If he's going to be 2 months coming to get it, I've got plenty of time to ensure the transaction is legit. Now, if he "all of a sudden" can get it next week, then the deal is most likely off. He's split on driving it back to FL or hauling it. He says he is in the process of buying a dual tandem, and I told him the way it is geared he would probably enjoy that trip more:laughing:.

So, we shall see. I spoke to him about 1/2 and hour, and I'm generally disposed to distrust. I think this is at least 80% legit. Either way, I will be strapped when I meet the guy:flipoff2:

A legit wire transfer from his bank to your bank is as secure as it gets. You can call your bank to ask details, but they can usually call the sending bank and verify funds while also arranging the transfer.

And I'm glad it's going to a car enthusiast. He'll be able to give it way more love than I could. :lmao:

Yep, it would just be hauling creek rock and crap if it came here. Be the coolest but just a old dump.

Last edited:
A legit wire transfer from his bank to your bank is as secure as it gets. You can call your bank to ask details, but they can usually call the sending bank and verify funds while also arranging the transfer.

And I'm glad it's going to a car enthusiast. He'll be able to give it way more love than I could. :lmao:
I know that a piece of paper is just that, but I guess I’m old school enough to want a written transaction record. I also told him I know what he’s signing up for, and I gave him 24 hours to change his mind:laughing:

I also am happy that someone doesn’t just want to part out the air cab and the engine and scrap the rest. This is a pretty rare truck and deserves to be saved IMO.

I know that a piece of paper is just that, but I guess I’m old school enough to want a written transaction record. I also told him I know what he’s signing up for, and I have him 24 hours to change his mind:laughing:

I also am happy that someone doesn’t just want to part out the air cab and the engine and scrap the rest. This is a pretty rare truck and deserves to be saved IMO.

You can get the bank to print a confirmation of the transfer. Hell, you can even go into the bank and handle it over the phone in person.

And me too. I would have kept it ratty old school with patina and all, though the drivetrain would have gotten as much love as possible. But it would still get used as a utilitarian rig at the end of the day.

This Chevy looks to be in exceptional shape , with the crate motor and those old
grain trucks in Chevy flavor are the least common of the big 3 I see in the boneyards around here. I have no time, space or energy for the process but I wonder if one could make it worthwhile to grab these out of boneyards, sell the dump setup, and then sell the cab and chassis. I see all kind of weird COE, cab forward, and conventional in old IH and Fords.

This Chevy looks to be in exceptional shape , with the crate motor and those old
grain trucks in Chevy flavor are the least common of the big 3 I see in the boneyards around here. I have no time, space or energy for the process but I wonder if one could make it worthwhile to grab these out of boneyards, sell the dump setup, and then sell the cab and chassis. I see all kind of weird COE, cab forward, and conventional in old IH and Fords.
At one time IH had something like 70% of the medium-duty market, think 1940-early 70s era. That vintage is definitely most common here, with Ford being #2 Chevy/GMC was probably distant 3rd, then Dodge, then a smattering of everything else.
As all the cool 60s-70s stuff worth fixing is drying up, I could see the 1.5-2 ton trucks being much more desirable to a subset of the hobby than they were 20 years ago, at least the non-fence row trucks.

Should have updated. Guy in Florida bought it. Paid me but has yet to come get it. He says he’s gonna drive it back. If he does I’ll see if he wants to join IBB and document his journey at 50mph for posterity :laughing:
needs to happen, and he can update us in the "other builds" section :grinpimp:

Should have updated. Guy in Florida bought it. Paid me but has yet to come get it. He says he’s gonna drive it back. If he does I’ll see if he wants to join IBB and document his journey at 50mph for posterity :laughing:
Tradition requires he loop past DMG's place.

Is this the 427 truck motor? The goofy deck height ones like the 366?
Or standard big block?

For standard big block you could yank the engine, scrap the rest and make more than your asking price.

Yes it’s a tall deck.
Could have parted it and made more (maybe) but sold it together
It really is a great deal. Hope it sells soon for ya.

Those truck motors, you used to be able to buy some aftermarket pistons and get some pretty amazing HP for street cars. I am not sure if that is still a thing or not.
But they held up great in trucks. That thing looks like it has a lot of life left in it.

fuck, missed this. :mad3:

if buyer backs out, holler at me. Or cancel the transaction and sell it to an irate instead. It would be in a good home.

fuck, missed this. :mad3:

if buyer backs out, holler at me. Or cancel the transaction and sell it to an irate instead. It would be in a good home.
I already took his money and am waiting for him to pick it up.
If for some reason he says no and wants his money back I’m telling him to talk to Biden :laughing:

I already took his money and am waiting for him to pick it up.
If for some reason he says no and wants his money back I’m telling him to talk to Biden :laughing:

if he says no keep his money and give it to me.

give his money back. tell him you needed it out od your yard and sold it to someone else.

1) For all of you saying back out, that's cheesy. The man sent money and is communicating.
2) if something were to go legally south, I have dibs. :flipoff2:

1) For all of you saying back out, that's cheesy. The man sent money and is communicating.
2) if something were to go legally south, I have dibs. :flipoff2:

seems like it was paid for a month ago and still on his property, that seems like a while.

Having had stuff bought out from under me. Don't back out. Be true to your word. Which I think you are trying to do.

That is just evil to cancel the deal. But there is nothing wrong with setting a deadline you both agree on. He has to be realistic as well. At some point he would have to admit he cannot come get it.

Greetings all,

I'm Mike, the guy from Florida who bought the truck. I enjoyed reading all the banter about the purchase. Being from Florida I get it.
There are a bunch of scammers in my state. That's why I bought out of state. Everyone is selling junk here.
I've scheduled the pick up using U-ship. It should be picked up this week. Costed me an arm and a leg. ($2700.00)
Even though the truck was posted cheaper here I'm still very happy with the purchase. Logistics do dictate cost.

Patrick has been very good to me and we worked through all the details from the get-go. At first I was thinking about driving it home but, with my
work schedule this is the smarter move. I'm sure it would have been a fun drive but.. No thanks :)

The truck is going to a good home and will be treated to a second life with lots of upgrades and modifications.
I'm going to turn her into a ramp truck to haul around my Chevelle and El Camino projects. I have a lot of them!
I'm an Electrician by trade but, I do own a metal fabrication shop with manual and cnc machines.
Being a blue-collar worker I couldn't afford to pay other people to do the level of work I wanted so, I invested in tools so I could do the work myself.
I've been fabricating for the last 35 years. Now I just dream it and build it myself.

I'm currently in the middle of building a 40x60 shop on my property. When I finish the shop I'll start on the truck.
If anyone wants to follow the build let me know and I'll post a link to it when it starts.
I've attached a picture of what I have in mind.

Mike

Attachments

• th-2513565310.jpg
    th-2513565310.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 18
Greetings all,

I'm Mike, the guy from Florida who bought the truck. I enjoyed reading all the banter about the purchase. Being from Florida I get it.
There are a bunch of scammers in my state. That's why I bought out of state. Everyone is selling junk here.
I've scheduled the pick up using U-ship. It should be picked up this week. Costed me an arm and a leg. ($2700.00)
Even though the truck was posted cheaper here I'm still very happy with the purchase. Logistics do dictate cost.

Patrick has been very good to me and we worked through all the details from the get-go. At first I was thinking about driving it home but, with my
work schedule this is the smarter move. I'm sure it would have been a fun drive but.. No thanks :)

The truck is going to a good home and will be treated to a second life with lots of upgrades and modifications.
I'm going to turn her into a ramp truck to haul around my Chevelle and El Camino projects. I have a lot of them!
I'm an Electrician by trade but, I do own a metal fabrication shop with manual and cnc machines.
Being a blue-collar worker I couldn't afford to pay other people to do the level of work I wanted so, I invested in tools so I could do the work myself.
I've been fabricating for the last 35 years. Now I just dream it and build it myself.

I'm currently in the middle of building a 40x60 shop on my property. When I finish the shop I'll start on the truck.
If anyone wants to follow the build let me know and I'll post a link to it when it starts.
I've attached a picture of what I have in mind.

Mike
Hey, don't know how you found this thread but great! FYI I posted it at a lower price here as a deal to the community, not because I thought it wasn't worth a little more. If it makes you feel better, I had it posted on FB Marketplace for $5,000 and got a very interested party (whatever that actually means) at that price after I'd already made the deal with you but before I could get my wife to take the ad down:laughing:. Ah well, I'm so happy it's going to a good home I'm not losing any sleep over it. Marketplace is so full of BSers that it wasn't my first choice to list stuff anyway, but my wife suggested it so I wasn't going to fight with her about it.

There's and "other builds" section of this site, sign me up for a build thread! I think that everyone here would be wildly entertained and supportive of this.

To all who were interested in this thread:
The truck has one dented fender and the hood is dented. Both are probably repairable, but he mentioned to me in our original conversations that he'd like to find solid versions of both without the big dents. At one time there were tons of these filling fencerows around here. I told him I'd keep my eye out and see if I could snag one of each before they got scrapped. I've been busy with personal stuff and haven't had as much time to look around these parts, plus scrap price is creeping up so some more of that is going away.
So, if any of y'all out there know of a solid truck that's just going to get scrapped with good fenders and a hood for cheap, messaged Warforged with the details, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Everyone here will sure be disappointed to hear you aren't driving it, but your time is probably worth more than the story it would generate.:beer:

To the disappointment of IBB but the satisfaction of Warforged the truck left Iowa today on a flatbed.
D81AFDEE-F8C3-496B-B5D8-0B17EEBACCBC.jpeg

Blurry pic from brothers flip phone. Hope it’s everything he wants it to be. Glad it’s going to a good home. If he wants to drop what he learned about Uship I’ll let him, not my story but I’m certain it wound entertaining. I’m just glad he finally got the service he sought.

Well, the first guy flaked. He pissed me off so badly I wrote a scathing letter. (something I'm very good at). I voiced my disgust to the top at Uship.
The letter was so bad, when you go to his profile PROACTIVE PERFORMANCE LOGISTICS INC | Get Quotes for Transport
there is nothing. All reviews are gone. They were removed by Uship and his account is in review at the moment.
I ended up going with these guys. TOTAL TRANSPORT LOGISTICS INC | Get Quotes for Transport
Communication was excellent and they were on it quick. Truck should be here Monday. I will update when I see the truck.
This transport ended up costing me 3k. I'm still waiting on my refund from the first overbooking asshole.
Thanks again IowaOffRoad for working with me.

I had no idea that vintage farm truck would have even offered A/C. The one I've used was bare bones... "be glad you got a rubber on the steering wheel and shifter knob" model :lmao:

I've run one to haul dirt for a day or two. Got told I was #1 more than a few times doing 50-55mph on a 65mph highway that everyone does 70+ :lmao:

Top Back Refresh