What's new

Montana & Utah permit less Ccarry now?

Weasel

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Black Hills, SoDak
I didn't see this posted but cool, MT process was always a PIA, imo. Compared to SoDak anyways.

Montana and Utah Enact GOA-supported Constitutional Carry

Gun Owners of America applauds Montana Governor Greg Gianforte (R) for signing Constitutional Carry into law today.

“Governor Gianforte is a true friend of Montana gun owners,” said GOA Senior Vice President Erich Pratt in a news release.

“The previous governor Steve Bullock kept vetoing legislation to expand permitless carry to the entire state. But with Gianforte, we now have a true Second Amendment champion sitting at the governor’s desk,” Pratt said.

Montana becomes the second state within the past week to join the Constitutional Carry club. Utah Governor Spencer Cox (R) signed GOA-endorsed Constitutional Carry on Friday.

GOA members in each state lobbied their state legislators on behalf of these bills -- which, in each case, allow law-abiding citizens to carry firearms without first getting permission.

By signing permitless carry into law, Governors Cox and Gianforte bring the total number of Constitutional Carry states to 18. The full list can be seen here.

GOA encourages residents of Montana and Utah to use GOA’s prewritten letters to thank Governors Gianforte and Cox.

didn't know MT went that way, but did see that UT had :smokin:

places like WA are digging further into a whole and NY is trying to oneup itself yet again :shaking: good to see the "backlash" has resulted in something like half the states in the country moving to a more free system.

And if you do have the permit you can carry in state and local government building. Also allows are on college campus. Does allow business to bar it though, which I like SoDak version much better. Business cannot bar carry, only the state can.

MT is easy. Have you taken hunters safety? Yes? Then you've had a safe gun handling instruction. Here's your CCL. :flipoff2:

Open carry was always legal, as was concealed if you were engaged in outdoor activities.

MT is easy. Have you taken hunters safety? Yes? Then you've had a safe gun handling instruction. Here's your CCL. :flipoff2:

Open carry was always legal, as was concealed if you were engaged in outdoor activities.

You sure about that? :confused: Last I looked a CCL was $50 bucks and there was a class. I did the Sodak as it was $5 bucks and no class. Wasn't aware of the concealed okay if you were outside, I remeber that from hunters Safety as being a huge no no.

You sure about that? :confused: Last I looked a CCL was $50 bucks and there was a class. I did the Sodak as it was $5 bucks and no class. Wasn't aware of the concealed okay if you were outside, I remeber that from hunters Safety as being a huge no no.

There are classes available. If you have taken hunters safety it's a qualified class also.

$50 first time, $25 renewal, and it's good for 4 years.

​​​​​

There are classes available. If you have taken hunters safety it's a qualified class also.

$50 first time, $25 renewal, and it's good for 4 years.

​​​​​

Hmm, not even sure where my HS card would be at. $10 first time and $5 renewals are more better, MT recognizes SoDak permits.

MT is $50-$60, NRA class, hunters ed, prior military, all acceptable. I had my wife do online hunters education for hers. I'll keep mine because I buy a gun without a background check.

MT is $50-$60, NRA class, hunters ed, prior military, all acceptable. I had my wife do online hunters education for hers. I'll keep mine because I buy a gun without a background check.

Yeah I got that from the above posts. :flipoff2:

Didn't know that on the background checks. Hmm interesting.

You still have to fill out 4473, it just bypasses the FBI phone call. Not that it matters much since I'm sure I'm already on the "list" :laughing: .

On the 4473 they write your license # as the approval number. Only reason I've ever had one.

Other handy tidbit, Montana concealed is only on your person. You've never needed anything to keep a loaded gun in your console, under seat, etc.

Top Back Refresh