What's new

Mix and match NP241C and J?

Doubtful. Years ago I tried to do a pass drop 241 Chevy front with a pass drop dodge 241 rear. The pocket for the shift rail was in different places. If you have the parts though, you might take a look, the 2 I tried and the 2 you are asking about are not the same. What are you trying to accomplish?

I need a driver drop np241 behind a 4l60e, seems easy. I want a fixed output on the rear, too. I picked up a NP241J from a 2008 Wrangler with like 20,000 miles, it's like new, and they have a fixed yoke. I brain-farted and forgot the clocking of the tcase bolt patterns were different. The plan was to swap in the 27 spline input and 6-pinion planetary from a 241C (already have these parts) and bolt it up. Derp.

So my options are:
1) build (or buy but can't find) a clocking ring to correct the pattern and use the 241J as-is.
2) buy a really crusty old 90's 241C, rebuild, merge with 241J to get the fixed yoke output. Maybe use the 241J's guts to "rebuild" the old 241C.
3) buy/rebuild crusty 241C and swap the main shaft and retainer from the 241J? This might actually work, I don't know.
4) buy/rebuild crusty 241C and buy a way overpriced SYE.
5) keep 241J and buy expensive tcase adapter to 4l60e

I need a driver drop np241 behind a 4l60e, seems easy. I want a fixed output on the rear, too. I picked up a NP241J from a 2008 Wrangler with like 20,000 miles, it's like new, and they have a fixed yoke. I brain-farted and forgot the clocking of the tcase bolt patterns were different. The plan was to swap in the 27 spline input and 6-pinion planetary from a 241C (already have these parts) and bolt it up. Derp.

So my options are:
1) build (or buy but can't find) a clocking ring to correct the pattern and use the 241J as-is.
2) buy a really crusty old 90's 241C, rebuild, merge with 241J to get the fixed yoke output. Maybe use the 241J's guts to "rebuild" the old 241C.
3) buy/rebuild crusty 241C and swap the main shaft and retainer from the 241J? This might actually work, I don't know.
4) buy/rebuild crusty 241C and buy a way overpriced SYE.
5) keep 241J and buy expensive tcase adapter to 4l60e

jb conversions has a slip yoke eliminator for the 241c. The t-case itself is pretty easy to find for not much money, especially from behind the 4l60. Sell your jeep t-case to recoup some money

https://jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=6

Last edited:
There are 241C's galore, but up here the salt and miles has killed every one I've looked at so far. So bad that all of the bolts would just break off in the case. Junk. On top of that they need a complete rebuild and $400-500 worth of SYE, so $800 for a 241C all-in.

I have one on the other side of the Lake if you want to come over and get it. It's in pretty decent shape but I'd replace the shift fork pads at least. They're like $10. I also have a JB conversions shorty conversion with a mechanical speedo housing. It's the really early version so you'll have to machine the yoke down by 1/4". I can make you a screaming deal on the whole pile if you want it. 27 spline 241C's in good shape are a dime a dozen over here. 32 spline 241c's are a little more difficult to find.

How far up the beach are you? I will consider your offer.

I came up with another idea tonight - use a 4L80E tcase adapter, which is a couple inches shorter, and machine an adapter ring to turn the 241J the right way. I don't like the idea of a thin clocking ring, losing the spline engagement, or losing the centering pilot,either. I suppose at that point I should just machine a whole new tcase adapter.

How far up the beach are you? I will consider your offer.

I came up with another idea tonight - use a 4L80E tcase adapter, which is a couple inches shorter, and machine an adapter ring to turn the 241J the right way. I don't like the idea of a thin clocking ring, losing the spline engagement, or losing the centering pilot,either. I suppose at that point I should just machine a whole new tcase adapter.

I'm in Holland.

No worries, I am going to make a clocking ring this weekend and just run it.

How are you converting the 23 spline 241J to the 4L60 27 spline? I don't think the sun gear is interchangeable between the 241J and the 241C. The 241J has a 4:1 reduction and the 241C has a 2.72 reduction.

Novak sells a output shaft for the 4L60 to convert it to 23 spline but that isn't a cheap option.

How are you converting the 23 spline 241J to the 4L60 27 spline? I don't think the sun gear is interchangeable between the 241J and the 241C. The 241J has a 4:1 reduction and the 241C has a 2.72 reduction.

Novak sells a output shaft for the 4L60 to convert it to 23 spline but that isn't a cheap option.

I don't have the OR version, just the regular one with 2.72:1 reduction. It takes the same input shaft as the 241C, which is 27 splines.

I'll grab some tomorrow. FWIW the np241 input fits, but it uses the smaller pilot bearing so it won't mate to the main shaft. It looks like an NP261 input has the larger pilot and shooould fit, so I ordered that. I also had to swap to the narrow 0.630 input bearing from the Chevy stuff, but that goes in without any modifications.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh