What's new

Mini-Split Recommendations?

Bringing this back up. Looking at one of the mr cool units. Mainly for heat and de-humidification. Having trouble finding a heat load calculator that fits this situation.

Garage is in the basement of the house. 26' x 38'
West wall exposed with two 9' wide garage doors
South wall is shared with the house
North and east wall buried foundation walls. I think they have a small amount of ridid insulation on the outside. East wall has 2" rigid and plywood on the inside. North wall is bare concrete.
Floor is concrete likely not insulated.
Located in SE Wisconsin

I think an 18k is enough for heating, but can't find anything to back that up.

Thats just a genertic climate zone and SF calculator. Doesn't get into specfics of wall type and the fact that most of it is underground.

I ended up ordering this for my new shop. I got it all wired up but have not had the lines vacuumed yet. I couldn't pass up the price. the shop is 24x30x12. 2x6 walls with fiberglass insulation. I'm planning on blowing in cellulose when I get the celling hung.

Bringing this back up. Looking at one of the mr cool units. Mainly for heat and de-humidification. Having trouble finding a heat load calculator that fits this situation.

Garage is in the basement of the house. 26' x 38'
West wall exposed with two 9' wide garage doors
South wall is shared with the house
North and east wall buried foundation walls. I think they have a small amount of ridid insulation on the outside. East wall has 2" rigid and plywood on the inside. North wall is bare concrete.
Floor is concrete likely not insulated.
Located in SE Wisconsin

I think an 18k is enough for heating, but can't find anything to back that up.

I think heating with a mini split in Wisconsin is a non starter, once the outside temp gets to 20 or so, they freeze and shut down

I think heating with a mini split in Wisconsin is a non starter, once the outside temp gets to 20 or so, they freeze and shut down
The mini splits heat down to 5 degrees. Had some at our old house to heat and cool the second floor and they worked great. We get maybe 10 days a year that the temp is below 5 degrees. Normally only at night. For those couple of days I can just shut the unit off and not be out in the garage.

Learn something new every day:beer:

I had one of mine running a defrost cycle on a 30deg night, every few years we get into the low 20s for a couple nights, I'll have a couple space heaters on hand just in case

The mini splits heat down to 5 degrees. Had some at our old house to heat and cool the second floor and they worked great. We get maybe 10 days a year that the temp is below 5 degrees. Normally only at night. For those couple of days I can just shut the unit off and not be out in the garage.
Do they heat off the pump/compressor operation at those temps, or activate heat strips with extra high draw like standard AC/Heat Pump units?

Do they heat off the pump/compressor operation at those temps, or activate heat strips with extra high draw like standard AC/Heat Pump units?
Off the compressor. Some of the Mitsubishi ones heat off the compressor down to -13

Off the compressor. Some of the Mitsubishi ones heat off the compressor down to -13
Awesome

Here's a calculator I just came across that get into way more details than most. Does prove out that since I got the spray foam done on the new shop, cooling needs are pretty low.

Awesome

Here's a calculator I just came across that get into way more details than most. Does prove out that since I got the spray foam done on the new shop, cooling needs are pretty low.

LoL says I only need 1000 BTU for my attached garage...which for maintaining temp, might be close? but if I want to cool it down, I don't want it to take hours.

LoL says I only need 1000 BTU for my attached garage...which for maintaining temp, might be close? but if I want to cool it down, I don't want it to take hours.

That is definitely a consideration in doing the calculations. There is a BIG difference between maintaining a temperature and turning it up/down for just an evening or weekend.

Top Back Refresh