What's new

Milwaukee powered skeet thrower

Boons

Member Number
Not an electricIan, will running an 18v 8.0 Milwaukee battery on this 12volt skeet thrower kill it or nuns in the near vicinity?

Attachments

• E9FC0BF9-7871-4468-9F11-A5FA9143C724.jpeg
    E9FC0BF9-7871-4468-9F11-A5FA9143C724.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 156
It might damage it. More voltage means more current means more heat. It depends on the margins the thrower was designed and built with. Prolly not designed for a 50% increase, however. There are voltage dividers one could make or use potentiometer but those are somewhat inefficient. The best bet would be to strip one third of the batteries out of the pack but that would be, at the very least, troublesome and soldering to the batteries is a pain if even doable.

You need 16 amps min for the thrower to work.....what does that Milwaukee battery have 3 battery amps per hour.

Have the same thrower.
I use my jumper pack.
Works great and portable.

Also get the hand held remote and wobbler.

Last edited:
It might damage it. More voltage means more current means more heat. It depends on the margins the thrower was designed and built with. Prolly not designed for a 50% increase, however. There are voltage dividers one could make or use potentiometer but those are somewhat inefficient. The best bet would be to strip one third of the batteries out of the pack but that would be, at the very least, troublesome and soldering to the batteries is a pain if even doable.
I have step down box that drops it to 12volt but also drops amps down to nothing and doesn't have enough jam to operate it. With the battery directly wired it runs it great and nothing seems to be getting hot but I'm not sure how long term will hold up.
You need 16 amps min for the thrower to work.....what does that Milwaukee battery have 3 battery amps per hour.

Have the same thrower.
I use my jumper pack.

That 8.0 seems run it no problem.

Have the same thrower.
I use my jumper pack.

A 8.0 battery is rated at 8 amp hours. If that thrower draws 16 amps the battery should be able to run it non stop for 30 minutes. Seeing as I can burn through one of the 8.0 batteries in about ten minutes in my grinder I'd say it is more than capable of running that thrower.

As to whether or not the thrower is going to die I'd say if it's set up to run on jumpers from your car it's designed to run on 14v at a minimum. Running it on an 18 volt battery is probably ok, but I'd keep an eye on electronics temps.

Milwaukee batteries tend to be around 20v fully topped off and run down to around 16-16.5 dead.

I think it will be fine. It's probably pulling enough load that the actual voltage is lower than the 20~ that the battery puts out while fully charged.

If you fry something let me know, because for the price of one of those adapters I will talk my buddy into making his work like this. Way more handy than an RV battery.

No it’s not going to hurt anything . A lot of times your 12v system is at 14-15volts, it will be fine .

I think it will work. But im curious with the extra juice is it going to start breaking clays

It might damage it. More voltage means more current means more heat. It depends on the margins the thrower was designed and built with.

I take it you are an electrician.

Nice to see that it works.

Its a DC motor, more voltage means more speed and that's about all in this case of slight over voltage.
As was said it will work fine.

Its a DC motor, more voltage means more speed and that's about all in this case of slight over voltage.
As was said it will work fine.
Yup, throws em at a noticeably faster rate. Fast enough to have 2 in the air before the first one even comes close to the dirt. The power of throw doesn't change at all as thats the job of the spring.

Top Back Refresh