What's new

Miller Auto-Set vs ESAB smart mig?

JohnnyJ

Low Range Drifter
Member Number
Loc
SE Michigan
Toying with the idea of upgrading from my Miller 175 to a newer machine.

Currently looking at Miller 211 with Auto-Set vs ESAB 215 with Smart mig. From what I understand, with the ESAB you select the wire size and metal thickness and it adjusts power from there. Everything I've heard is that it welds super nice. The Miller has similar setup, but there's less talk of it making real-time adjustments.

Has anybody used both and have some feedback?

There's about $600 price difference (ESAB is more) between the two; but I have not been able to find as much info on the Miller system as the ESAB. I can look at a chart and pick my power tap and wire speed, so if it's just a different know for selecting the welder settings, then I'm less interested than if it can make real time adjustments.

Any thoughts? Anybody used both?

I have used both, like the ESAB a lot better. Gives you more adjustment. It also welds a lot cleaner / less spatter.

I own the Miller and kinda regret it. Not that much better than a Hobart 210MVP.

Have a 211 with the auto set, not a fan. It's probably fine if you don't know better but if you know how to weld and know how to set up the machine the auto function is more trouble than it's worth to me. I tried the auto set and abandoned it quickly, not a fan of the changing settings mid weld. Good machine otherwise.

The autoset is just picking values on the chart for you based on select process, wire size, and material thickness, nothing more. Auto set elite (which my mm215 has) just lets you dial in a little plus/minus on wire speed and voltage as desired. The other thing these machines have is a start feature that helps establish an arc more smoothly. I use autoset on mine almost exclusively, it's faster to set the machine than checking the chart, gets me a good starting point, and then I can dial it in slightly with the knobs from the default setting. I have zero complaints about my machine and would definitely buy it again in a heartbeat (well, probably a 220 since it has AC TIG which mine only has DC).

Haven't tried the ESAB machines though.

Fwiw
I have a 211, first try on "auto set" was less than stellar performance, manual settings were much better.
I have not studied the parameters of this setting and choose to not use it.
Hope this helps.

I have the ESAB 215.

In warm temps, it welds fabulously. It gives me problems when the air is cold. I do usually have to work outdoors. Supposedly there's a fix for the issue, but I've yet to contact ESAB about it.

The smart mig has outsmarted me a couple times. Pick your wire and material thickness and it typically welds perfectly. Be aware, though, that Tweco torches are junk. I put a 15' Lincoln gun on mine and it is a million times better than the fusion guns.

The autoset is just picking values on the chart for you based on select process, wire size, and material thickness, nothing more. Auto set elite (which my mm215 has) just lets you dial in a little plus/minus on wire speed and voltage as desired. The other thing these machines have is a start feature that helps establish an arc more smoothly. I use autoset on mine almost exclusively, it's faster to set the machine than checking the chart, gets me a good starting point, and then I can dial it in slightly with the knobs from the default setting. I have zero complaints about my machine and would definitely buy it again in a heartbeat (well, probably a 220 since it has AC TIG which mine only has DC).

Haven't tried the ESAB machines though.

As said above on the Miller you are looking at two separate things.

The autoset just picks the Miller recommended setting for whatever wire and material you turn the knob to.

The Miller "start feature" which I think they now call "active arc stabilizer" uses a feed back loop to try and automatically adjust voltage to wire stick out. Every machine I have had with this feature (2013 era 211 and currently a 2016 era 252) I really dislike enough I would not buy another Miller.

Might be the start thing I don't like then. It's like theres someone standing there turning knobs as you weld sometimes.

As said above on the Miller you are looking at two separate things.

The autoset just picks the Miller recommended setting for whatever wire and material you turn the knob to.

The Miller "start feature" which I think they now call "active arc stabilizer" uses a feed back loop to try and automatically adjust voltage to wire stick out. Every machine I have had with this feature (2013 era 211 and currently a 2016 era 252) I really dislike enough I would not buy another Miller.

This is the feature I'm talking about which is still advertised on the 215 page:

1678814830348.png

This is the simplest description of what it does that I found:

1678814881614.png

And I can confirm the machine definitely does this, wire speed is slow right at the beginning when pulling the trigger and then picks up.

how cold you talking?
Around freezing and below. I could start out just fine, but within seconds of the cooling fans kicking on, it would hunt and peck like mad.

This is a known issue on a few models. Had to do with the software, I think. I haven't looked into the 215 software yet.

This is the feature I'm talking about which is still advertised on the 215 page:

1678814830348.png

This is the simplest description of what it does that I found:

1678814881614.png

And I can confirm the machine definitely does this, wire speed is slow right at the beginning when pulling the trigger and then picks up.

Interesting, I was wrong in assuming it was a different wording of the same thing. We are talking about two different things both with the idea of better/cleaner starts. The 252 still advertises the "active arc stabilizer", but it doesn't change run in speed.

I maybe being a bit overly harsh the 252 is my main workhorse and used everyday. It has been reliable and welds great most of the time, but even with tig level prep and trimmed wire it will completely screw up about 1 in 5 starts and leave a big splatter filled mess trying to auto adjust its self like someone is messing with the knob. My older 211 behaved the exact same way. I have no experience with anything newer than the 2016 model 252.

Last edited:
Interesting, I was wrong in assuming it was a different wording of the same thing. We are talking about two different things both with the idea of better/cleaner starts. The 252 still advertises the "active arc stabilizer", but it doesn't change run in speed.

I maybe being a bit overly harsh the 252 is my main workhorse and used everyday. It has been reliable and welds great most of the time, but even with tig level prep and trimmed wire it will completely screw up about 1 in 5 starts and leave a big splatter filled mess trying to auto adjust its self like someone is messing with the knob. My older 211 behaved the exact same way. I have no experience with anything new than the 2016 model 252.

Yup, I saw that language on the 252, different than what it says for the 215.

My MM215 is from around the same era, 2016-2017ish...zero issues with starts. I guess occasionally if I've got some way less than perfect material prep (leftover soot or just never grinded off the mill scale/rust) and a ball on the end of the wire it'll sputter or not even arc, but that's no fault of the machine, that's me being lazy lol

Like here's a bunch of repeated starts, this is how it usually goes:

Or watch this one where I was mucking around with shit that shouldn't work lol

The autoset is just picking values on the chart for you based on select process, wire size, and material thickness, nothing more. Auto set elite (which my mm215 has) just lets you dial in a little plus/minus on wire speed and voltage as desired. [SNIP] I use autoset on mine almost exclusively, it's faster to set the machine than checking the chart, gets me a good starting point, and then I can dial it in slightly with the knobs from the default setting.

That's my problem with the autoset - it kinda "gets you there," but then you have no adjustment to "fine tune" it further. Being able to "get you there" and "fine tune" it would be much better.

That's my problem with the autoset - it kinda "gets you there," but then you have no adjustment to "fine tune" it further. Being able to "get you there" and "fine tune" it would be much better.
Yup, the auto-set elite solves that problem. The fine tune is great, smidge more voltage, smidge less wire speed, or whatever...can get you there then dial it in just right.

The esab lets you fine tune it too

Can't comment on the esab, but I have the 211 and really like it. I think it's the perfect hobby machine. The 120v/240v plug in option has came in handy.

Auto set is OK, but that's for people who don't know how to set a machine anyway :homer:

I do use it every now and then when doing something out of the ordinary, where I don't feel like dialing in the settings. Works fine for me.

I also only paid $1100 for mine after a sale and mail in rebate. Last I looked they were almost $2k, which would make it much harder for me to recommend. If the esab is ~$2500, I just cant see that either. Get a $1k Hobart and learn how to set it up.

I also only paid $1100 for mine after a sale and mail in rebate. Last I looked they were almost $2k, which would make it much harder for me to recommend. If the esab is ~$2500, I just cant see that either. Get a $1k Hobart and learn how to set it up.

That's a good point, I only paid $1500 CAD for my MM215 without TIG after rebates...they're close to $3000 CAD now, harder sell. Found a barely used TIG kit for mine for $500 including a 55cf argon tank...super good deal.

Esab is awesome and works really well. I say it works better then the Miller. Mine is sitting at the local custom shop and it gets used a ton unless it's getting into heavy duty cycles.

Can't comment on the esab, but I have the 211 and really like it. I think it's the perfect hobby machine. The 120v/240v plug in option has came in handy.

Auto set is OK, but that's for people who don't know how to set a machine anyway :homer:

I do use it every now and then when doing something out of the ordinary, where I don't feel like dialing in the settings. Works fine for me.

Exactly my experience, I picked a floor model one up for $1k in 2018. Its a great machine but I'm not sure I'd give what they're asking now for it.

Tried using the auto set once and it doesn't jive with how I weld.

Shits more expensive now. I doubt prices will ever come down. Truthfully, I was going to pull the trigger a few times over the years, only to watch prices creep up.

I pulled the trigger this morning and have the Esab on order.

Top Back Refresh