What's new

Miller 252

ANGELO

Red Numb Skull
Member Number
Loc
BRADENTON FL
Picked this up for 1500 today, a pawn shop had it listed on marketplace. It has a short warranty, that I had to pay extra for. Only reason why I paid it was they didn't have a 220 outlet or a generator.
Brought it home and it's seems to be welding great, except the gas solenoid is stuck open. I took it apart and the solenoid is unplugged, I tested the solenoid and it's no good. I ordered a new one and I'll call them tomorrow and see if they will pay for it.
Is there any issues with these? Why would the last guy unplugged the solenoid?

I'd like to set it up for aluminum. The miller 30a is kinda pricey. Is there a china gun that will work on this? I don't plan on doing aluminum all that much.
Screenshot_20210513-091411.png
Screenshot_20210513-091411.png

Don’t know anything about the 252 but I picked up a used 30a for my mm251 for about $300. They are pretty simple so I wouldn’t hesitate to buy used again. Mine is circa 1994

Also the 15a is the same thing but with 15’ of lead vs the 30’ of the 30a if you want to save some money

I have two 251's, the model before yours

I run the holy piss out of them, as in a 33lb-roll-in-a-day piss out of them at around 200A. Is this listed in the recommended duty cycle? Nope. But it does it, and I make it do it
I have them hooked up to machines to semi automate them half of the time

They will thermal out and throw a code, but let the fan work and it will wake back up

Pawn shop is sketch though. If you get it working you are golden

and FYI 1500 is a VERY generous price

as in that is what I purchased mine for new generous. That is a 300.00 machine

How long has it been since a 251 was $1500 new? I paid $2200 for a used 251 with a 30A and 2 bottles 3 years ago, Couldn't be happier.

It's not the 50s any more millers not cheap.

Screenshot_20210514-070534.png
I'll have one for sale
I'll give you a deal.....2000.00 bux, just for you. I will even throw in a roll of wire

You aren't going to find your deals going at it that way

I'll have one for sale
I'll give you a deal.....2000.00 bux, just for you. I will even throw in a roll of wire

You aren't going to find your deals going at it that way

You can't even find old stick welders for 300$ in this area let alone a 220 mig... 1500 is half off a new one..

I should still have the aluminum spool gun set up from my 252, just need to find where I stored it in the shop. Make me an offer and put it to work.

You can't even find old stick welders for 300$ in this area let alone a 220 mig... 1500 is half off a new one..
So 2000.00 is a decent deal?
30% off :flipoff2:

All joking aside, as long as the OP is good with the price, then that is really all that matters.

My original point is that these are little work horses, it should tread him well in the long run

I was going to suggest a spoolmate 200 but they've damn near doubled in price since I bought mine. I think it was around $650 5 years ago and now they're over $1100. That being said, if you can find a used one and upgrade the nozzle they're a fine gun for home/hobby work.

That's maybe the most common mig machine for a fab shop to have. Even large manufacturing facilities usually have a couple floating around.

How long has it been since a 251 was $1500 new? I paid $2200 for a used 251 with a 30A and 2 bottles 3 years ago, Couldn't be happier.

I just checked my account at Cyberweld. Bought a brand new 251 on 05/16/2006 for $1,798.00.

I have not had a single problem with the machine. It just flat works.

It's not the 50s any more millers not cheap.

Not everyone lives in a shithole where there's zero heavy industry.

~50% MSRP is a generous price on the used market for welders, at least around here.

Pretty sure I have a 30a that might have had a foot of wire run through it if any of you blue owners are looking.

I have one at work that we've ran several hundred pounds of wire through over the last couple years. No issues so far.

I just purchased one of these used at auction too but the stinger is shot. Should I buy a Miller replacement or is there a china/knockoff that would be worth the money?

I just purchased one of these used at auction too but the stinger is shot. Should I buy a Miller replacement or is there a china/knockoff that would be worth the money?
The factory one isn't that great. Get a Tweco gun, or a Radnor to save a few bucks. They are made by tweco. Exactly the same.

Is it really going to hurt you to pay a little more for USA made? I would go with Tweco personally.

Tweco and Miller are USA made, I think Radnor is too.

The factory one isn't that great. Get a Tweco gun, or a Radnor to save a few bucks. They are made by tweco. Exactly the same.

Just stay away from the tweco fusion. That one sucks.

Thanks all, wasn't sure if there was a USA made version so will definitely go that way.

Reactions: Dan
Top Back Refresh