What's new

Mil car help, 2000ish accord

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
No you dont want pictures, and no you dont want to see them first and decide later... trust me on this one

So the mother in law was over last night and when she went to leave her 2000ish low mile accord wouldn't start. I figured she had just left the lights on or something but there was nothing obvious. I checked the voltage and it was 11.5. I was kind surprised the starter wouldnt even click. I then cleaned the terminals and checked voltage at the batterey again and at the other end of the cables (at starter and ground) and still 11.5 and ccas were around 200.
I then jump started it and it fired right up. I checked the alternator output and it was 14.5. The batterey was a 4 year old larger Interstate so I told her it was most likely a fluke, possibly just the dirty terminals, or worst case it needs a new battery and 4 years is decent anyways. And that if the problems continued I have some good ones around that should at least get her another year.

Today I hear she went and bought a batterey and put it in. I guess on her way home last night the stereo and spedometer would not work. With the new batterey she got the stereo working but still no speedo.

Any ideas?

easy guess is failing alternator. Although, not sure that year but newer Hondas have a funky charging system with eld (electronics load detection?) and a sepetate alterntor relay setup.

Found this after a little online search, perhaps it can be useful to you...

Happens sometimes with Cavalier instrument clusters involving some battery issues (jumping dead battery, reconnecting battery, etc). Electronic panel "gets confused" and needs a fresh-start reboot. Try pulling the fuses with the ignition "on" (but not running). I had to pull both the "BCM/CLU" and "cluster" fuses and replace them with the ignition still "on" to get it to work. By the way, I also got a jump from a drained battery. This may be significant; I pulled the BCM/CLU fuse first, then the cluster fuse and replaced them in order of BCM/CLU fuse first, then the cluster fuse.

easy guess is failing alternator. Although, not sure that year but newer Hondas have a funky charging system with eld (electronics load detection?) and a sepetate alterntor relay setup.

You are correct. ELD has been a Honda thing for quite a while.

This thread reminded me why I got out of the auto repair business. :laughing:

That was my guess also until it tested good. I know that doesn't mean it wasn't acting up before or after...

Top Back Refresh