What's new

Migrating your PBB data

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
This is a long post, but since I've already been asked several times I wanted to explain the decision so you don’t think I was just baiting and switching you all........

If you seen the post on PBB my initial plan to scrape our posts on PBB in order to save the history. I was going down that path for a while before deciding to change directions. I spent a good deal of time, and money, speaking to copyright attorneys (American) about the process I was going to use. Which in a nutshell was:
  1. Download the entire PBB site, which I got 70% of before stopping. Per TOU on PBB downloading the site for personal use is permitted
  2. They were preparing a legal document each member would have to sign basically giving me the right to act on your behalf in order to copy and paste your original content into IBB.
  3. Then, acting as you I can run my script on my local copy for you.
  4. Done.
This was the best legal option from my attorney. They are American and PBB specifically follows the governances of Toronto. I wasn’t willing to spend more for them to get a Canadian advisor. There were some possible issues with the above plan like when you would have posted somebody’s else’s content or a story from another site. I didn’t script any of that intelligence into what I was doing, not that it couldn’t be at some point.

If you do some research on VS and lawsuits, they have been involved in several and they are some real assholes. My attorney pointed out (and I’m probably poorly relaying legal issues here) that PBB’s copyright is in their TOU, which …. Is a Terms of Use. Meaning … what are they going to do to you for violating it? Ban you? Anyway, they still ferociously have gone after sites that had done a mirror of a site they tanked. They have gone so far as to claim copywrite violations on major brand logos posted on their site. My guy was not sure how they could sue with a TOU like that but that’s all they need to keep doing. Suing. Suing till the defendant is broke. Their parent company, Torstar, is a massive Canadian media conglomerate that has the FU money to throw at cases like this allday. If they don’t win in court, they simply have your site blocked by the state so nobody can get to it. I’m not making it up, you can Google the cases. They are grade A assholes.

Sure I could do big go-fund-me’s and waste our money in court as other forums have, but I don’t see the point. As it was even mentioned to me today even some of the best, holy of the holy, tech posts on Pirate ….. are a bit dated now. Certainly not all of it but a lot is.

So … the new plan…
Give PBB’s members a new home after VS fucks up PBB and encourage rapid rebuilding of our own updated tech by getting contributors compensated for their efforts. See my post about Blue Skulls in the Premium memberships post. I feel like that is a much better plan for members to assure that this site stays up and running for us.

This is getting a bit lengthy for most of your attention spans but I will not be copying over your posts from PBB. If you would like to I say go for it, you will be violating their TOU and I’m not really sure what that entails legally. Don’t take any of my advice here as true legal advice. My head typically spins when at tourneys talk and I probably only take in part of it lol

As it was even mentioned to me today even some of the best, holy of the holy, tech posts on Pirate ….. are a bit dated now. Certainly not all of it but a lot is.

I like the new plan. It's not like we need thousands of threads with 15-20 year old tech. "D60"

It would rock to be able to scan an old tech post, edit in the newest tech updates and re word them for today's ibb.
Most likely a huge headache, but much of the tech is dated.
We get to update that by +20....
Thanks bossman

I think new tech would be better. instead of comments on new posts saying just search there was a thread about it in 2004. most of the older threads ive found if the tech is still current the links, pictures or company they bought the parts from are dead

Hey man... I have gotten into the Toyota van community heavily... and we are all looking for a place to do write ups and whatnot. The facebook format kinda sucks for anything like that. I have waaaaaaaaaay more than enough content to start about 40 write ups, just van related. Could I start doing some write ups and invite some of the crowd here? Mostly 4x4 van related stuff. Where could I put it? Miscellaneous? I host all my pica at imgur, so it wouldn't weigh down on storage or anything...

Hey man... I have gotten into the Toyota van community heavily... and we are all looking for a place to do write ups and whatnot. The facebook format kinda sucks for anything like that. I have waaaaaaaaaay more than enough content to start about 40 write ups, just van related. Could I start doing some write ups and invite some of the crowd here? Mostly 4x4 van related stuff. Where could I put it? Miscellaneous? I host all my pica at imgur, so it wouldn't weigh down on storage or anything...

Toyota section is already there for ya fag :flipoff2:

These guys aren't use to the flamesuits… lol. I'm gonna muck up the Misc. category with a bunch of gay van stuff. I decided. :flipoff2:

Honestly I thought you were fucking with us :lmao:

images-1.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	images-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.6 KB ID:	2425
images.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.1 KB ID:	2426

But now I see you're serious :grinpimp:

GO ahead with the misc forum for now, if it takes off we can look into a subforum under SoccerMoms .. I mean Toyotas :flipoff2:

I'll tell you the same thing to those who asked about inviting JKO members over, go for it, but we're not giving up that pirate feel .... yes flamesuits are recommended

I like the new plan. It's not like we need thousands of threads with 15-20 year old tech. "D60"

We should use the blue star money to comission someone to read the SD60 thread and write us a SD60 bible. :laughing:

I started transferring my build thread and noticed the 30 second repost time is too long. Drop it down to 10 seconds or less. Cutting, pasting, and uploading needs to go faster.

Halfway through I exceeded my picture upload limit. Uncap the limits temporarily to get more tech on the site and build it up.

Its got to be easier and faster to transfer our data to get more people on board.

What about the Chit Chat Classics? Would those still be considered downloadable for private use by the original poster? Seems a shame to lose some of the gems in there.

Screwzer, camarogenius, Wenzel, Kayla's Sunsets......the diarrhea song. Could probably due without wenzel because I'm hoping this place ends up getting its own personal version but kinda fitting to have those memorials so to speak.

If all the old data doesn’t come over how will we know if 39’s will fit on our TJs?

We should use the blue star money to comission someone to read the SD60 thread and write us a SD60 bible. :laughing:

The point of Blue Stars is that they make their own money here.

Also, I just recently reached out to the OG, fingers crossed I hear back.

I started transferring my build thread and noticed the 30 second repost time is too long. Drop it down to 10 seconds or less. Cutting, pasting, and uploading needs to go faster.

Halfway through I exceeded my picture upload limit. Uncap the limits temporarily to get more tech on the site and build it up.

Its got to be easier and faster to transfer our data to get more people on board.

Noted, and temporarily dropped to 5sec as many people are doing the same.

The real reason for that is to prevent spammers from registering as a regular user (a black star or numbskull) and blowing up the forums with spam.
Before I bump it back up I'll configure less post times for paid members since spammers never go to that extent.....

I would say beyond my original Join date of that other place I could care less about anything I posted. Shit I took a 7 year hiatus and now well. I am pretty disappointed that I spent 30 bucks and nothing is really even there.

I asked them to delete all my material, based on the fact that I have a copyright on it.

I do not agree to their new TOS.

They can sue me here in the US, if they like. I have the best kind of attorney, DOD appointed, will never run out of money.

I asked them to delete all my material, based on the fact that I have a copyright on it.

I do not agree to their new TOS.

They can sue me here in the US, if they like. I have the best kind of attorney, DOD appointed, will never run out of money.

Tell me how this works out.

I don't care about most of my tech shit, but I have been kind of opinionated on some shit here and there, and if I'm going to go through the divorce, I'd like my shit scrubbed. from GCC and the Trailer Park. I may eventually need a job and I think I kept my shit clean enough, but ........

(And this does have a "divorce" feel to it.)

Even Camaro Genius spent weeks going through and deleting shit when he was sanitizing his web stuff from future employers.

PLUS if I delete my shit, I am less likely to go back over there. It just makes a clean break.

I have a couple build threads I would print to PDF or something but if they go down overall fuckem. Except for the 04 join date, dang.

I didn't know VS was onwed by Torstar. Fuck. Them. They are like your CNN but 100x worse.

Honestly I thought you were fucking with us :lmao:

But now I see you're serious :grinpimp:

GO ahead with the misc forum for now, if it takes off we can look into a subforum under SoccerMoms .. I mean Toyotas :flipoff2:

I'll tell you the same thing to those who asked about inviting JKO members over, go for it, but we're not giving up that pirate feel .... yes flamesuits are recommended

:laughing:

OK... ok... Maybe just an "Expedition" rig forum so I can migrate my gay little van build over here... Save the "Soccer mom" forum for VanHub. :flipoff2:

There was a ton of cool shit in the Expedition forum over there anyways... AND, no doubt it will migrate this way if theres a canvas for them to work on. :grinpimp:

Last edited by a moderator:
Call it "Overlanding" - that's millennial newspeak for "car camping" :flipoff2:

No shit? "Overlanding"? Not nearly as cool sounding as "Soccer Mom banging in a Van" forum... :flipoff2: Call it whatever, just want a place to continue my gay van build so the masses can flock to see it! :homer:

Top Back Refresh