What's new

Mig Wire for Rust

ChiScouter

Red Skull Member
Member Number
What a mess, I have a 04 3/4 ton suburban. It has 300k, typical midwest rust, and is nothing but a POS work/tow vehicle. I probably don't put 3k miles on it a year. Last trip the frame bent just behind the rear spring mount. It is the most stressed point of the frame and some brilliant engineer thought it would be a great place for a 3 inch hole. I just pulled the rear fuel tank to replace the fuel pump so I have a bit of room, There is nothing flat or that lends itself to an easy clean looking patch/brace job. I can get in only minimally with a wire wheel in the drill or angle grinder. I typically use ER70S wire but for this project I want to explore options and get a 15lb pound spool of something better suited if there is anything. I need this thing up and running very soon so I don't want to get into anything extensive.
Any wire recommendations?

Can you reach it with a wire brush on a reciprocating saw? :laughing:

I like the idea. :D

There is also the small spot sandblasters - a bag of sand and a nozzle to cover the spot with and pound on it. Or just a bag of sand and a siphon blaster for the size you're working on..

But I have no recommendation on wire. When it's rusty, that's what the stick welder is for. :D

I just had a genius idea, 4500psi pressure washer. I started the Sub today and it seems to run fine on one tank with no gas gushing out of anywhere, I need to drive it about a half mile to be able to pressure wash the frame and see if it does any good at removing the lose rust. Id still like to find some super duper rusty metal mig wire.

Flux core that mutha! Clean up as best as possible, grab a spool of flux core from HF or Home Depot or Walmart or where ever, crank the heat and let her eat!

Needle scaler to clean in the hard to reach area. Root pass with 3/32 6011 then fill it out with 1/8 7018. I would run the 6011 downhill and the 7018 uphill on the vertical sections.

What a mess, I have a 04 3/4 ton suburban. It has 300k, typical midwest rust, and is nothing but a POS work/tow vehicle. I probably don't put 3k miles on it a year. Last trip the frame bent just behind the rear spring mount. It is the most stressed point of the frame and some brilliant engineer thought it would be a great place for a 3 inch hole. I just pulled the rear fuel tank to replace the fuel pump so I have a bit of room, There is nothing flat or that lends itself to an easy clean looking patch/brace job. I can get in only minimally with a wire wheel in the drill or angle grinder. I typically use ER70S wire but for this project I want to explore options and get a 15lb pound spool of something better suited if there is anything. I need this thing up and running very soon so I don't want to get into anything extensive.
Any wire recommendations?

Just curious, is there a reason you're not wanting to stick weld it? Do you simply not have a stick welder?

I have 2 stick welders but can not access them in the necessary time frame. Have to mig this one

Needle scaler to clean in the hard to reach area. Root pass with 3/32 6011 then fill it out with 1/8 7018. I would run the 6011 downhill and the 7018 uphill on the vertical sections.

Go to harbor freight and get a cheap needle scaler.
I wouldn't stick weld, its probably thin and you will blow though trying to weld up. I use plain old 70s6 .030 wire and do the best you can. Thick paint will cover the porosity. Welding down will work fine just burn it hot

Last edited:
Needle scaler, or just hit the frame with a hammer. Pressure washer will help, you can get wet blaster kits for the pressure washers.

Flux core that mutha! Clean up as best as possible, grab a spool of flux core from HF or Home Depot or Walmart or where ever, crank the heat and let her eat!

This^^

Flux core is your best bet. If you have to use solid wire, ER70-S6 will work better than the other S's.

Top Back Refresh