What's new

Mig welding chromoly and mild steel?

CHOGA

Member Number
Can I get away with mig welding chromoly tube adaptors to DOM?

only thing that's different is that you can get some brittleness in the heat affected zone when welding steels with enough carbon in them to harden when quenched
pre and post heat at 400F will eliminate this
the low thermal mass says you can probably get away with just preheat, and even just on the alloy steel part as the mild steel will be unaffected

I welded my mild steel hydro ram attachment point to my chromoly tie rod because I didn't know you weren't supposed to. Works fine

In my experience it welds just the same with all the same settings and 'looks good' and 'has not broken yet'. I couldnt help you out with any scientific metallurgy or x rays or any of that mumbo jumbo but in my experience it welds just like mild steel

The Cambells have MIG welded chromoly chassis for a long time. And we know that Shannon has taken a few tumbles...

Can I get away with mig welding chromoly tube adaptors to DOM?

Yep. The joint will end up being at least as strong as the mild steel. There will be some dilution of the cromo and mild steel. Preheating the tube adapter is a good idea.

The Cambells have MIG welded chromoly chassis for a long time. And we know that Shannon has taken a few tumbles...

What type wire are they using? Because you can get 4130 MIG wire. Curious how a top team would do it.

I imagine er70 of it's on the chassis. Usually only use 4130 filler if it's going to get heat treated. That's the operation for tig anyway.

Top Back Refresh