What's new

Metal Prices

Byro

Lurkin’
Member Number
Loc
East Canton, OH
Had some metal delivered today, 2x6-3/16 22’ 1.75 .188 wall 22’ and 7/8 .095 22’

$649!

Is metal price way up or is my supplier stroking me? I don’t remember it being so expensive even in the past couple months.

i've been on vacay for a couple weeks but metal has been down. on the other hand local metal marts always lean high, regaurdless of reality.

i've been buying in excess on every order

metal supply dont care about you, they pass on their price plus their f ups. and multiply by difficulty of customer

Last edited:
and your list your metal wrong it would be 6x2 not 2x6. at least for all my suppliers. list shit like that and you get the high dollar price round here, cuz they can.

a metal guy can smell a wood butcher a mile away

Fabricator buddy of mine told me about a month or so ago steel is going to go up 30%.

Fabricator buddy of mine told me about a month or so ago steel is going to go up 30%.

void of time frame that will always be correct.

where i work its gone up 30% in the last 1-1/2 months.

also percent up and down is a shit way to price, go up 50% and down 50%................... whats the end price.?

void of time frame that will always be correct.

where i work its gone up 30% in the last 1-1/2 months.

also percent up and down is a shit way to price, go up 50% and down 50%................... whats the end price.?

Yea I see about 30% over the past few months. Tube seems to be up the most. Got an upcoming job using a bunch of 12x6x.375 box tube and it's not cheap. There is a shortage right now. I think as more mills come online next year it may ease up.

Last edited:
and your list your metal wrong it would be 6x2 not 2x6. at least for all my suppliers. list shit like that and you get the high dollar price round here, cuz they can.
a metal guy can smell a wood butcher a mile away

this
go to the wrong place, or talk to the wrong person at the right place and your quote price will damn near get an extra zero tacked on the end at the drop of a hat

I just bought some today. Still around a dollar per pound (CAD). Seems it`s been that price forever, for mild steel obviously. Whatever I want to buy (sheet, tube, angle) just finger out the weight and blammo instant quote. Rebar is about half that I think.

place I go to recently upped their randoms price per lb from 30 cents to 40 cents, so that's a real kick in the dick, but that was probably 5mo ago?

We e been hovering at $.38/lb on gr50 sheet delivered for almost 2 years. Jumped to $.58/lb just recently. Ouch

I beam jumped a few months ago, to the point we ordered truckloads in advance. The inflated price was or is set to go up, get orders in before it does. Not sure on channel or plate.

Tariffs working their magic . . .

Reduced production from virus, maintenance shutdowns, and higher demand than expected leading to a shortage.

Domestic steel production is set to begin ramping back up, but don't think prices will drop just yet.

The last load of DOM I got was quite a bit cheaper but while talking to the salesman he was expecting a big increase in the 1st quarter. Stock is slim on some of the odd flavors of tube.

tracyb Dethmachinefab

@ anybody else:laughing:

got some pointers for us small time guys to get a fair deal from a supplier?

I name drop the company account, take notes, and work up my cost per sqft or linear foot, but it seems like a shell game, or the guy just doesn't care.

Is figuring out the cost per lb the best plan?

Pipe, tube, angle, square tube, channel, sheet, how do the premiums stack up?

thanks

tracyb Dethmachinefab

I name drop the company account, take notes, and work up my cost per sqft or linear foot, but it seems like a shell game, or the guy just doesn't care.

thanks

Ask me when your ready to buy it, I will quote it and you can know if it's fair. Generally if you don't order tons you will get the off the street price of 25% higher than a volume customer.

Plate 40-50 cents per lb.
Structural 55-75 cents per lb.
Tube 75-1.00 per lb.

That should be close.

tracyb Dethmachinefab

thanks

I generally just wing it with $/lb on angle, channel, wide flange beam, sheet etc. You get into tube you can still rough it by pound, its just more. Added processes like DOM add more cost as well. I judge my rounds off of 1.5 or 1.75 x .120 in erw and dom. If I'm needing some, I'll just quote that. DOM never came down around here from any of my 3 suppliers. When it was cheap 3 years ago, 1.75x.095 was under $2 delivered to my shop. By a fair amount. It hasn't been under $2.50 in teh last year since that last spike from the tariff scare. Mild structural and plate settled back in.

Ask me when your ready to buy it, I will quote it and you can know if it's fair. Generally if you don't order tons you will get the off the street price of 25% higher than a volume customer.

Plate 40-50 cents per lb.
Structural 55-75 cents per lb.
Tube 75-1.00 per lb.

That should be close.

Have you quoted gr50 plate this week? Maybe I need to shop, I was shocked by it going from .38 last order up to .58 this order.

me and deathmachinefab are on opposite sides of the country, and they way they price is a bit different. for example my tube isn't that expensive atm but my plate isn't that cheap.

i go thru around 100k lbs of steel a year, or so my acct, wife, tells me. so that helps. i do my best to keep orders over 2k$ and on small and thinner wall items never order less than 10pcs.

for people not ordering like i do and wanting to keep prices down. here are my recommendations and other ramblings;

-stay away from 'have it all suppliers' i use a slitter outfit, structural only, nonferrous, and round pipe/tube suppliers. ex. if i order round tube from my structural supplier its expensive

-dont be afraid to call the big suppliers, they want to move product.

- if ordering even simi regularily set up an account. most will only do biz credit but having your CC on file helps

-do your best to not waste their time. knowing little things like 3x3x.250 and 3x3x 1/4 are to different materials (ones for tube the other is angle) and list biggest measurement first, because thats how their catalogs are setup.

-most bigger places its easier for them to deliver, or find out if it is. when i started out i had all my steel delivered to a buddies auto shop who had a forklift. i got him metal at my cost in exchange. but some places will drive their trucks to your house at no extra charge. ive never been given a delivery time, just a date and maybe a call when headed my way.

-if you really need the best deal follow steel prices, prices go up and down all the time, and some shops are right with it others prices lag behind a week or 2. can be confusing when one place is cheaper when prices are going down and another place is cheaper when prices are going up.

thats all i can think of right now. i may edit later

Last edited:
700 a bundle is my best price on rebar, 715 on a single bundle.

what is a bundle of rebar
just from seeing them at the store not really paying much attention it seems like they're about a ton's worth?

that's way helpful as I'm planning on using a shitton of 3/8 coming up soon and buying the 20 footers singly is like 4 bucks each instead of that 2.66ish

20 ft of 3x3x3/16 and 26 ft of C3 ran me about $200 last week in Denver. It was a bit more than I'd expected, cost per lb is like 1.5-2x what I remember paying 2 years ago

I buy 1 3/4" .095 wall HREW by the bundle (91 sticks). It has gone up nearly $.50 per foot recently. I also use a lot of .065 square tube, but it hasn't gone up that much. Yet.

Rebar fabricator here. Seeing $65/ton increase from the mills. Scrap pricing going up as well.

Top Back Refresh