What's new

Merchant obtaining updated CC info from card issuer?m

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
Had an issue with a merchant, as a precaution i called my CC as lost and obtained a new card.

Fast forward 1.5 months later, I have the charge ins question that I should not have been charged.

My question is, can a merchant obtain new CC info from the card issuer and charge it without my authorization? Because that is what happened, and I dont unserstand how thats legal.

Thanks.

You should have told the CC company what the actual issue was.

And the answer to your question is yes.

Agree and disagree.

You should have told them the issue and they would have set up some monitoring.

Nowadays so much is set up on reoccurring billing through CCs that CC companies allow merchants with your previous CC number to keep using that number for a certain period of time.

Do I have more leverage in a dispute or now its all the same now that charge went through? I never *authorized* that specific charge, but merchant feels that I must be charged.

If you didnt authorize it then call the CC company and tell them. The way you did it sounds like your up to some shady shit.

Well fwiw
I had paypall charge a card I took off my acct.
pulled card #1 off and replaced with card #3.

next monthThey hit card #1.
I called them had them pull card #1 off and verify card #3 was there!

Next month same issue .
Cancelled card #1
Reissued a new card # (card #2)
Now pp only has card #3
Next month they hit card #2
Ended up canceling card #2
Ymmv

Had an issue with a merchant, as a precaution i called my CC as lost and obtained a new card.

The word used should have been "compromised" when explaining the dealio w/merchant....

...Stolen :lmao:

Try, try again-

I would call the CC company and kindly let them know they authorized and gave out your personal credit card information without your consent and if you have to call them again it will be from a lawyer and the state attorney general. No they are technically not allowed to do that. However CC companies have been breaking the law for decades and the government bends to them vs. the citizens. The card fee is a prime example. It was a convenience fee the merchant paid to have the ability to accept more forms of payment and therefore make more money. It used to be Illegal to pass that on. When enough people Got wise to the fraud the CC companies were encouraging the merchant to commit the changed the law to make it now illegal. Pay pal is famous for this, get rid of them.
It took me getting a supervisors number after they informed me there had been fraudulent activity on my account they refused to let me close for 10 years. At that point I told the supervisor that If my account was not closed by the time my lawyer got ahold of them I would be calling the State AG as well as posting her direct line on CL and every other help site for people trying to get help with PP. My shit was canceled and I was sent an email of the confirmation about 10 minutes after I hung up the phone.

Are you certain they gave out the new card #?

I've had a few instances where corporate cards were compromised and pending or upcoming charges were authorized and carried over to the new cc#, through being on the same account.

No fraud, they were trying to double charge me for their mistake. Called BOA, they confirmed theres a system that they use that gives them new CC. Also suggested I should have told them the issue and they would have stopped payment.

Thanks all. Never woulr have guessed theres a system like that in place.

​​​​​

I was reading the title and wondered why a merchant needed to know your concealed carry info????

No fraud, they were trying to double charge me for their mistake. Called BOA, they confirmed theres a system that they use that gives them new CC. Also suggested I should have told them the issue and they would have stopped payment.

Thanks all. Never woulr have guessed theres a system like that in place.

​​​​​

Had this happen when someone broke into my F250 when I was at dinner one night. That system is because people will put their electric/phone/water/other necessities on autopay and forget to change the autopay settings with the utilities. If the CC company didn't do that then they would be blamed for late fees, non-payment penalties and disconnected services by you guys.

Top Back Refresh