What's new

Mechanic's "Ten Commandments" And Tips

Same.

Hate all the salt they put on our roads, absolutely destroys the vehicles around here.

Got a 1976 Chevy K20 pickup and it doesn't see the roads during the winter because of all the salt.

Fluid Film :smokin:

Fluid Film :smokin:

South Main Auto on youtube made me try out Fluid Film and I love the stuff now. A little pricey at around $9-10 a can, but worth every penny IMO. I absolutely detest rubberized undercoating, makes vehicles a pain in the ass to work on, but Fluid Film works so much better and wipes right off if needed. Not flammable, either.

Fluid Film by the gallon and an underbody sprayer...way cheaper.

I'm getting both of my trucks coated with Fluid Film this winter. Might even do a second spray during winter.

This is what I have been doing the past 6 years. My 4runner had a little rust when I bought it but has remained the same. It really does work.

I undercoat the mower decks too.......when I can remember. :laughing:

Tell a southerner more about this fluid film. I just watched a few videos.

Does it stay greasy/wet?

It it like a undercoating and overspray looks like shit?

Tell a southerner more about this fluid film. I just watched a few videos.

Does it stay greasy/wet?

It it like a undercoating and overspray looks like shit?

Yes it stays greasy and wet and doesn’t come off easily. Once it gets a layer of dirt over it it’ll stay where you spray it, but it wipes off easily with a rag if need be. Won’t catch fire either (sprayed it on concrete and held torch directly to it lol). I love the stuff. FUCK RUST!

Yes it stays greasy and wet and doesn’t come off easily. Once it gets a layer of dirt over it it’ll stay where you spray it, but it wipes off easily with a rag if need be. Won’t catch fire either (sprayed it on concrete and held torch directly to it lol). I love the stuff. FUCK RUST!

One more; fuck rust.

So, is it just a clear sheen over surface rust? Or does it apply black? Or convert the rust like ospho?

So, is it just a clear sheen over surface rust? Or does it apply black? Or convert the rust like ospho?

When I spray it over my rust it gets a darker color that's uniform. It really doesn't "hide" the rust, but it looks almost like there's oil on it, without all the gritty shit.

Used motor oil is free and the HF "texture spray gun" is cheaper and lays down nice and thick. The over-spray keeps the dust on the driveway down.

Last edited:
Motor oil washes out easier and is nowhere near as thick.

Yup. Used to do the motor oil thing before I found out about Fluid Film. Used motor oil sucks. Drips all over the garage and makes it harder to tell if your car is actually leaking oil (barring a leak dye test). No mistaking fluid film for an oil leak.

All my used motor oil, besides what I keep to start bon fires, goes in the waste oil heater at work. Don’t do a lot of oil changes and it helps heat the place in the winter. Gets cold as fuck here.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any efficiency tips or advice about working in the automotive field ?

Yeah, have an exit strategy
stay off the tool truck, at 20 years old look up the cost of hearing aids

Exit strategy? No plans to stop turning wrenches as long as my health holds out (I'm 25 so it should lol). Am doing the best to prevent hearing damage right now by wearing ear plugs 99% of the time while working (didn't always when I first started). And as I said, I don't kneel directly on concrete unless I absolutely have to, trying to save my knees. Let the tools do the work for me whenever possible so I don't strain my back. There are ways to take care of yourself while doing this type of work to minimize damage to your body, although I'll admit it is physically demanding and you are exposed to chemicals on a daily basis, so it is hard on you.

Far as staying off the tool trucks go, I do my best to shop around and find the best quality tools I can for a decent price. I own a decent amount of Snap On tools, but most of my daily use sockets and wrenches are either Craftsman or Gearwrench. Have a fair bit of Harbor Freight tools as well, although I don't expect much from them. The convenience of the tool trucks coming to you weekly vs. running to Sears/Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hardware/etc. after work or mailing back tools for a warranty is what makes me purchase a lot of tools via the tool trucks.

Murphy's law always applies, and tools either break the day after the tool truck has been there, or you need something before they're due to stop, etc. so they do have their drawbacks as well. In the end, a quality tool means more to me than saving money on a tool. Have had cheap tools break when I needed them most and didn't have a backup, so I was screwed.

South Main Auto on youtube made me try out Fluid Film and I love the stuff now. A little pricey at around $9-10 a can, but worth every penny IMO. I absolutely detest rubberized undercoating, makes vehicles a pain in the ass to work on, but Fluid Film works so much better and wipes right off if needed. Not flammable, either.

Truth, here's 6 years in Canada with a fluid film coated vehicle:

Good video, thanks.

Wouldn't a head mount for your camera be easier?

I'm watching ProjectFarm's goop comparison right now.

Yeah, prolly, but I'd also need to get an external mic and/or wireless recording setup of some sort...probably should do that at some point.

I saw the PF comparison when it came out, I haven't tried all the products but fluid film honestly does better than he portrays IMO and the comments on his video pretty well match that.

If I recall correctly, you can make your own fluid film with lanolin and mineral spirits.

Well said!
anz7tzgs68f21.jpg
I just saw this thread AGAIN...
This musta been EARLIER in his career as ibb dumb post maker..
WAY Before
So here I am "qualifying " my post rather than delete it.
:flipoff2:

If I recall correctly, you can make your own fluid film with lanolin and mineral spirits.
You got bulk lanolin lying around? Kinky...:flipoff2:

Bought in gallon form the price is hard to beat. Squirt bottle works great for tools and surface treatment of steel. A little goes a long way. I use it on my reenactment gear as it is friendly to wood and leather. Unlike some gun oils, smells better too.

:flipoff2:
You got bulk lanolin lying around? Kinky...:flipoff2:

Bought in gallon form the price is hard to beat. Squirt bottle works great for tools and surface treatment of steel. A little goes a long way. I use it on my reenactment gear as it is friendly to wood and leather. Unlike some gun oils, smells better too.
Yep, I get lanolin in bulk from Amazon. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh