What's new

Mechanical or electric fan?

RareCJ8

Member Number
stroker build getting near finished and at cross roads about stay with serp belt driven mechanical fan or go to electrical, one big one or two smaller. talk me in or out of going electrical. this will free up some much needed space under the hood.

Unless you spend a lot of money, an Electric will not flow as much as a mechanical. fan.

Unless you spend a lot of money, an Electric will not flow as much as a mechanical. fan.

^^^^^^

This. It's worth the effort to find the right fan if you're dealing with depth/fitment issues (from another vehicle, I mean). Don't bother with flex fans, either. A good quality clutch .... the largest blades you can fit ... and a well fitted/designed shroud will do most everything you need.

There's always other factors --- but the above will get the basics more than sorted out. Then if you have to do a little bit of chasing ...it's the details at that point.

I love a mechanical fan but there was that one time the bearing on the water pump gave out and chewed the brand new radiator.

Since then I've learned to #1 buy new water pumps with every new radiator I put in and I also as insurance put a barrier of expanded steel between the fan and radiator, big enough holes that it flows but also will protect from a rogue fan blade.

Mechanical for towing and street use. Electric for crawling and trail riding.

If you go Electric look at the Volvo 2 speed fan similar to the Taurus fan. It has an nice round mounting surface and relay system.

Mechanical works best with a proper shroud as does Electric. The fan shroud is the key to making it all work in my experience.

I had an electric fan in my Jeep for one reason. Driving through and crossing creeks. I could turn the fan off when I was in water. It cooled the engine perfectly on the trail.

Mechanical for towing and street use. Electric for crawling and trail riding.

If you go Electric look at the Volvo 2 speed fan similar to the Taurus fan. It has an nice round mounting surface and relay system.

Mechanical works best with a proper shroud as does Electric. The fan shroud is the key to making it all work in my experience.

This. Volvo/Taurus bmw temp switch done. I just put this setup on my Jeep yesterday. Just for creek crossings.

Most mech setups (IMO) run a clutch anyways. So you have a little bit better margin of safety in a water crossing. Flex Fans will do just that. Flex right into the fucking radiator. Straight mechanical .... dicey depending on clearances.

I mean .... what did they do in the 60, 70s, and 80s before good electric fans started popping up? :)

Top Back Refresh