What's new

Meat thermometers

2JZ

Member Number
I'm looking for a good meat thermometer. I mostly smoke pork shoulders on my Big Green Egg, and cook Ribeyes or other steaks in a cast iron pan, seared on the stovetop, then transferred to the oven. And whole chickens, either on the BGE, the oven, or even the Instant Pot. My last few Ribeyes were a bit overcooked. I'm hoping a good (wireless?) thermometer will help with my consistency. I'm currently just using a plain ol dial type probe thermometer. Which means I'm constantly having to open the egg or oven to check temps.

I like the idea of a completely wireless type. "Meater+" seems to have some good reviews. The Thermopro has good reviews too, but isnt truly wireless, as the probes are wired. Thats not a deal killer though, I just like the idea of no wires.

What say the irate chefs?

I’ve bought a bunch of them and still the only one I trust 100 percent is a cheap pocket manual one from Walmart but I love using the igrill whenever I am doing a long smoke that thing is awesome and the app and notifications are great !

Reactions: 2JZ
Not wireless, but I use a fireboard, with the app to my phone.
but I'm a hack with the smoker, the thermometer does not make me any better

I had 2 thermopro. They are pieces of shite. The only reason they are well reviewed on Amazon is because they will warranty or return, but that doesn’t help you when you need it.

I currently have this one from Uline which I got as a free gift for ordering hundreds of dollars. It seems very solid and well built. Looks like it will last.

I have a Meater brand, works great I just remove 1 level lower than I want and it come out perfect.

I use this one myself. not sure how great it is but it works. only thing i cant figure out is why it needs the GPS turned on on my phone so it will connect to the damn thing.. it absolutely will not connect unless the GPS is on.

Ink Bird

these are the best ive ever used over ten years of competition BBQ experience.

the wireless "smoke" unit is really good too.

these are the best ive ever used over ten years of competition BBQ experience.

the wireless "smoke" unit is really good too.
Yeah, a Thermopen is a must have.

Well thanks to Amazon Prime, I couldn't wait. Ordered the Meater+ on Sunday evening, got it yesterday by noon. Did a reverse sear on a couple ribeyes tonight. It worked great. The app gave me an estimated oven cook time to 130*, and then I seared em in a cast iron pan to 140*. They were super tender. Maybe a little more rare than I like, but super tasty. I doubt I'll ever sear first again.

I got a pair of MEATER+ wireless/Bluetooth thermometers for Father’s Day.
Game changer IMHO.
NOT CHEAP but they work well and almost effortlessly.
they work with an app you download to your phone.
You can use any of the programmed “cooks” or customize your own.
The thing monitors your pre-set end temperature, as well as internal and ambient temperature, estimates cook time and will send alerts for major fluctuations and near finishing.

Attachments

• BBFABB33-845D-4091-824B-980279FCA252.jpeg
    BBFABB33-845D-4091-824B-980279FCA252.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 22
Well thanks to Amazon Prime, I couldn't wait. Ordered the Meater+ on Sunday evening, got it yesterday by noon. Did a reverse sear on a couple ribeyes tonight. It worked great. The app gave me an estimated oven cook time to 130*, and then I seared em in a cast iron pan to 140*. They were super tender. Maybe a little more rare than I like, but super tasty. I doubt I'll ever sear first again.
Ha, I didn’t read all the way down. Im a fan and had to chime in with my opinion.
Good choice and I’m sure you’ll be pleased, just make sure to insert up to the line, and investigate if you ever get the over temperature “To Hot” alert.
they have some fairly high tech sensors that can be damaged if not used according to instructions

Ha, I didn’t read all the way down. Im a fan and had to chime in with my opinion.
Good choice and I’m sure you’ll be pleased, just make sure to insert up to the line, and investigate if you ever get the over temperature “To Hot” alert.
they have some fairly high tech sensors that can be damaged if not used according to instructions
Will be smoking a pork shoulder Fri night...cant wait to try it out on that. I usually start my Big Green Egg around 10PM. Its ready to cook by 11pm. Wake up sometime in the middle of the night when temp is ~160*. Foil it and go back to bed. Sometimes I dont wake up. Will set up an alert to let me know when to foil it.

Thermapen Mk4 is the only game in town for instant read. I had the original but lost it to salt water, my own fault.

I have the Meater+ and really enjoy it for long cooks, the probe has to go in pretty far and it makes a damn big hole for steaks, honestly haven't tried it for steaks though. Get the Thermapen, you won't regret it, good for deep frying and baking too.

Top Back Refresh