What's new

Maybe cutting down frame of long WB K30

ridenby

Member Number
Loc
Kentucky
Thinking at first going as short as possible while keeping leaf springs. What do yall think? Is there a "perfect" wheelbase?

Yeah i think it depends on intended use. Tow rig? i want it long. Trail rig? Well then that depends on terrain and tire size. 130" wheelbase on 38s would suck in the tight trails of PA, but id assume work great out in Moab.

IIRC my bronco is stretched to 107". On 42s it works pretty well in the NE. Std cab long bed Ford is 133". A buddy wheels one, and he fits, but he definitely struggles some in the tighter turns. A short bed, or preferrably a bobbed bed would definitely help keep from crunching the back corner.

I am in Kentucky. Kind of tight trails. I am thinking 110" would be fairly easy. I run 37" and 40" tires. Worst problem I have encountered is hitting rear driveshaft on rock/stump then it twists up.

Depends upon trails, tires, and under frame clearance. Maybe add in ass sticking beyond the tire.

I had a cruiser frame stretched from 108" WB to 120" WB. This was to fit 43" tires on the Rubicon trail:flipoff2: This WB was picked based upon recommendation from my fab guy... I was ready to keep it 108". I want to say frame clearance is going to be ~20"... so very short for the size tire. I wan to say maybe 2' of tube bed after the rear tire.

My other cruiser is sporting about 110" WB for 35" tires for snow plowing and Rubicon. It may have 2" body beyond the rear tire.

As for driveshaft issue, I've seen 96" WB FJ40s destroy rear driveshafts(~30" long DS) so going smaller may not help you.

Move the rear axle towards the cab as much as possible without the tires rubbing. Move the front axle forward about 8" for weight distribution and tire to cab clearance.

119" wheel base works good for my truck.

Last edited:
110" is short for a rig on 40's. I'm running 114" on a CJ/buggy. No overhangs works good for out west. Tight boulder trails of CO and the more open trails of Moab.

If you want to use shorty saddle tanks, dont cut it down further than shortbox spec (~150wb).

If you want a tank behind the axle, one shock gets in the way of a K5 or Burb tank.

For general trail use my Suburban has surprisingly turned into one of my best wheelers. 1 ton axles and a shit ton of power has not only impressed me but has been king of the hill quite a few times.

Now dedicated crawler, mud truck, etc. couldn't speak to that. But it dominates on trail usage, is comfy on the road, and has a lot of room for everything.

Problem, body doesn't fit anywhere but that's not what you asked. 🤣

If you want to use shorty saddle tanks, dont cut it down further than shortbox spec (~150wb).

If you want a tank behind the axle, one shock gets in the way of a K5 or Burb tank.
Lwb is 133-135-140"ish depending on specifics Swb is 124"ish
Blazers are 115"ish

Yes. K30 shocks are inboard where k5/10/20 are outboard. There are lots of ways to handle that.

Just throwin in clifs notes type stuff.

I had a '91 K30 crew/short for a few years.

Suburban wheelbase gets it done also.

Got out this weekend. Now rethinking shortening .
Got on the idea of reducing the wheel base because of hitting driveshaft on rocks and such. Now considering just making a better driveshaft. Stock rear is about 51" of tube 5+ inch diameter, thin as air. Thinking yokes for 2.5 X .250 inch tube in the correct length.....

Top Back Refresh