What's new

Mattresses...What's good?

Grnd93

The Dude
Member Number
Loc
Michigan
Lost track of how old our current mattress is, so it's time to buy a new one. Seems like there are way too many options out there these days.

What does IBB recommend?

Not a tempur-pedic. Glorified air mattress that goes flat over night. I'm watching, I need a new bed too.

Last edited:
We currently have a Serta Largo Vista. It was a decent mattress, but at 5 years it is due for a change. It has a pillow top, so you can’t flip it. We just bought a new mattress from a local company that builds them to order. Not cheap, but they have a 20 year warranty, and will change the firmness of the mattress once during that time period for no cost.

Bought this last year:

71cMRFBIZtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	71cMRFBIZtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.7 KB ID:	338283

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Brand...76&sr=8-5&th=1

Its a little more firm than what I'd like. But a million times better than the old spring beds. Cali-King is freaking awesome too. No more feet hanging over the edge.

I questioned getting a bed in a box at first, but honestly its great. Would recommend.

edit: as far as being cool or hot, I don't notice a difference? I run hot anyways. My body steams when I'm out in a t-shirt in 40º weather.

we got the Purple #2 6 months ago. At first I didn't care for it but now its the best mattress I've owned. coming from a Tempur-pedic it was a fraction of the cost and way more comfortable

we got the Purple #2 6 months ago. At first I didn't care for it but now its the best mattress I've owned. coming from a Tempur-pedic it was a fraction of the cost and way more comfortable

Is that that honeycomb thing? That was so weird.

interesting. i heard the purple and most of the box beds decline rapidly after a year.

we bought a Serta knockoff of the Temprpedic foam bed about 8 years ago. Yeah, its about time for a new one. it was really great for a long while, now there are two noticeable indentions and its time for that thing to go away.

will follow this thread for ideas and suggestions.

We currently have a Serta Largo Vista. It was a decent mattress, but at 5 years it is due for a change. It has a pillow top, so you can’t flip it. We just bought a new mattress from a local company that builds them to order. Not cheap, but they have a 20 year warranty, and will change the firmness of the mattress once during that time period for no cost.

Thank you, my in-laws operate a 100 year old mattress factory. Support American small businesses people!

We sleep on a lot extra firm spring mattress. Its flippable but we are over due for a new one based on the weight increases since new. Will be following this thread.

I have a Tuft and Needle. Bought it from Amazon, felt it was too soft so I decided to return it. They told me to keep it and refunded my money. Then I added 3/8" OSB between it and the slat frame and it firmed it right up and now I love it. :flipoff2:

Original Mattress factory. Two sided. Hands down the best mattress and box spring we have bought.

the wife and i got a Kingsdown (from Mattress Epxress) and have been VERY happy with it. We both do well with a firm(er) mattress. It does have a thin pillow top that helps soften up the initial feel, but not enough to make it feel like a soft spring bed. Would def. buy again.

interesting. i heard the purple and most of the box beds decline rapidly after a year.

we bought a Serta knockoff of the Temprpedic foam bed about 8 years ago. Yeah, its about time for a new one. it was really great for a long while, now there are two noticeable indentions and its time for that thing to go away.

will follow this thread for ideas and suggestions.

We went with a Cantwell this time. They’re local to us in Corpus.

We have a zinus foam king mattress on our bed, one on my oldest daughter's bed, one on a twin trundle bed, and a zinus topper on our mattress in the travel trailer. We love them, and they are inexpensive. Foam mattress, bought on Amazon. They are hot as hell the first few nights, but now I love it.

What about one for fat fucks like myself who sleep really hot? Any recommendations? People still liking the Zinus'?

Not a tempur-pedic. Glorified air mattress that goes flat over night. I'm watching, I need a new bed too.

think you meant select comfort? Tempurpedic is not an air mattress. Our last bed was a tempur. We are now on a helix midnight. found it on google as "best cooling" mattress. Also supposed to be good for side sleepers. I can attest it is much cooler to sleep on that the tempur bed, and so far 6-8 months in I really like it. I'm 210# and sleep mostly on my side. Wife is 100# and sleeps on her back. She has been complaining the last month that her back hurts from the bed, so Im not sure what will come of it now.

What about one for fat fucks like myself who sleep really hot? Any recommendations? People still liking the Zinus'?

check out the helix midnight. it sleeps super cool. My wife post cancer treatments get hot flashes every night. We had a tempurpedic for ten+ years and it was just hot, like she couldn't sleep on it, sweating hot. This new helix all but cured that. She still has the hot flashes, but the bed is much cooler. Whats fat ass to you? Im 210# and it sleeps well for me.

Sleep number for me, mine is 20 years old I sleep good and have had no back issues.

We have a sleep number. I liked it the about 6 years. Wife still likes it. We bought it from QVC on the cheap . I replaced my side last year (its a split cal king) with a nectar foam mattress. It fit perfectly I never adjusted the air anyway. The adjustable foot and head have been the best part of the sleep number.

Girlfriend and I have tried out many beds. They all seemed to crater in the middle. We bought a Saatva(luxury firm) 2 years ago and it's by far the best bed we've had. No crater, super comfortable. This coming from a guy with back problems and can't ever sleep comfortably.

think you meant select comfort? Tempurpedic is not an air mattress. Our last bed was a tempur. We are now on a helix midnight. found it on google as "best cooling" mattress. Also supposed to be good for side sleepers. I can attest it is much cooler to sleep on that the tempur bed, and so far 6-8 months in I really like it. I'm 210# and sleep mostly on my side. Wife is 100# and sleeps on her back. She has been complaining the last month that her back hurts from the bed, so Im not sure what will come of it now.

Could be, the remote says tempur-pedic so that's what I call it. :laughing:

I'm a fat fuck @ 350lbs. and am always hot. Bed is NOT hot for me. We bought a Casper 4 yrs ago and have had zero issues, beds in as good of shape as when we bought it. Will buy another when we need one.

check out the helix midnight. it sleeps super cool. My wife post cancer treatments get hot flashes every night. We had a tempurpedic for ten+ years and it was just hot, like she couldn't sleep on it, sweating hot. This new helix all but cured that. She still has the hot flashes, but the bed is much cooler. Whats fat ass to you? Im 210# and it sleeps well for me.

I should weigh 10# more than you, I actually weigh 82# more than you. Fuck!:homer: Thanks I'll check it out

We have a zinus foam king mattress on our bed, one on my oldest daughter's bed, one on a twin trundle bed, and a zinus topper on our mattress in the travel trailer. We love them, and they are inexpensive. Foam mattress, bought on Amazon. They are hot as hell the first few nights, but now I love it.

^^^This.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have that mattress in our master with a 2" pillowtop from the old spring mattress, perfect combination. The Mrs. likes a softer mattress and I like a firm one, this split the difference for us after 2 spring mattresses didn't cut it. We've had it for 2-1/2yrs, it's awesome and cheap.

We bought a 6" for the trailer and love it as well.

We got a Purple #2 about 3-4 years ago and its still in perfect shape. I sleep like a rock on it.

Top Back Refresh