What's new

Marlin .22 rifle issues

ANGELO

Red Numb Skull
Member Number
Loc
BRADENTON FL
I got this marlin 80g few years back and it's always had this issue. Probably 50% of the empty
PXL_20240130_230342865.MP.jpg
PXL_20240130_230355183.MP.jpg
shells get stuck in the barrel and I'll have to pop them out with a screw driver. Sometimes I can go all 7 ejecting fine, then it'll be all 7 need to be pried out. I already replaced the clips on the bolt that grab the shell. Any ideas?

Idk know much about guns and nothing about yours*

However, there should be a spring under here that put psi on the extractor to grab the casing, id start with stretching it or or replacing it.

Screenshot_20240130-151731_Chrome.jpg

I had a 10-22 that did that. Deburred the edge of the chamber by hand turning a conical dremel grinding bit. Hasn't stuck a round since (25+ years).

However, there should be a spring under here that put psi on the extractor to grab the casing, id start with stretching it or or replacing it.

thats new.

I had a 10-22 that did that. Deburred the edge of the chamber by hand turning a conical dremel grinding bit. Hasn't stuck a round since (25+ years).
i bet that would fix it

probably gotta polish the chamber as said
maybe there's a burr raised from dry firing if it is one that the firing pin hits the chamber, maybe it's just roughly machined
look in there real close with a magnifying glass or borescope or whatever (borrow one) and determine what's going on

if that picture is of the bolt in question, there won't be a spring in there
the extractor and opposing hook are all one piece of spring steel

Idk. I just looked up marlin 80g bolt and that the pic i found.

I only know about ar stuff and that is the concept it uses.

Just throwing out there and half looking to learn.

lots of 22 stuff is just a single wraparound piece of spring steel without any pivot

the stevens 87a guns I'd been getting into lately have both kinds, one older bolt with separate claws, coil springs and plungers (sorta like a 10/22 but two of them instead of only one), then the later ones just have a single piece stamping

they got a sharp extractor on the ejection port side and a rounded 'detent claw' sorta deal on the opposing side, to just hold the case on the bolt face before it hits the ejector

I tried to repair a Sears or Wards brand .22lr rifle similar to this with the exact same issue. I "polished" the chamber and replaced the extractor (found one on Numrich). Didn't fix the problem. Near as I could figure the milled depression in the bolt face (where the rim of the cartridge would rest) was not concentric/co-linear to the bore. You could force the cartridge into the chamber easy enough, but as the bolt was rotated (to extract the spent case) the extractor would lose just enough purchase with the rim and was unable to pull the spent case out of the chamber. Gave the gun back...

tandemkoss has a chamber deburr "tool". it works well. it helps to flatten out chamber faces that have been pinged and dented by dry firing.

Reactions: BDK
I think it's catching it further down in the barrel. A empty slides in fine till the last 1/8" or so

I put it in the ultra sonic for about a hour today. After is when I noticed the shells stick. I'll go at it with a wire brush tomorrow

what did you put in the ultrasonic? The bolt or the whole gun?

what did you put in the ultrasonic? The bolt or the whole gun?
As much that could fit. So that half of the barrel did fit. Along with the bolt.
Edit They were sticking before the ultrasonic. I took it apart and figured the first step is a good cleaning

i was wondering if your brass was opening more than normal. Maybe from a worn or poorly machined chamber.

Make sure you didn’t spring the extractor assembly. The bolt should be able to hold the casing. The replacement may also be out of spec. Compare it to the original.
Clean the hell out of the chamber with a new bronze brush and whatever carbon cleaner you use. Bonus points for chucking the brush into a cordless and using JB Bore Brite and Kroil.
Finally, borrow or buy a chamber iron/swage and follow the instructions.
I hoard cheap, old .22’s and one or all of these cure sticky chamber and extraction problems.

Top Back Refresh