What's new

Man shot/killed over July 4th weekend while out wheeling with his kid

Ickychron

Yep
Member Number
Loc
Placer
Didn't see this here -

Last Friday, a dad was out wheeling with his teen son in their new Jeep, somewhere near Downieville CA.
A random fuckwad decided to go out there hunting humans that day and the kid got to see his dad shot and killed in front of him.
Kid escaped, called the cops and spent 30hrs hiding from gunman before the search team found him...and later the gunman they caught after chasing him down on his ATV.
....apparently the asshole also shot two other people (who survived) in separate attacks in the same area that day!

Cake topper is the kid's mom was at home suffering from chemo for her cancer.

WTF is wrong with people? Can't say being killed by a random crazy person when I'm out wheeling on public land ever crossed my mind. Stay safe out there.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...e-15390090.php

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/ar...1-15390331.php

dam. That's pretty fucked. My guess is that the shooter is a minor since they haven't released the name.

ALWAYS have a pistol on me when anywhere in the mountains for a variety of reasons. This is one

honestly with a guy sniping with a long gun like that, the pistol isn't going to do much for you.

Depending on the kind of pistol.

Something chambered in .223 or .308 would give one an edge over a standard pistol.

honestly with a guy sniping with a long gun like that, the pistol isn't going to do much for you.

Last edited:
Downieville is so mellow, can’t believe this happened. Way too close to home.

Last edited:

Exactly my thought. I'm usually focusing on enjoying myself and not rolling my rig or getting stuck, not really thinking about being sniped by someone hiding in the brush

ALWAYS have a pistol on me when anywhere in the mountains for a variety of reasons. This is one

Something chambered in .223 or .308 would give one an edge.

It doesn't matter what it's chambered in :rolleyes:

And you might as well have a rifle anyway.

And if you did have a rifle, what good is it going to do you? Are you going to examine every bit of terrain at all time to make sure there's not a sniper? :shaking:

Something chambered in .223 or .308 would give one an edge.

Chamber your pistol in whatever you want. Not any details yet other than rolling and dad shot and kid runs, they find the cocksucker on an ATV running away. Coupled with the no release of name I'm assuming minor who has been sniping on COD and decided to go live. I'm picturing someone like me who plays with precision shooting and get out there pretty reliable at 500 yds. My equipment is capable out to 1,000, and I can do it if conditions are right. I doubt this is that extreme, but it could be. It could be as simple as the guy was waiting behind a bush and shot them from 5 ft. Either way, ambush or sniped, you're dead regardless of chamber. That said, I carry all the time, but it's because of bullshit like this. Random crazy is random crazy.

dam. That's pretty fucked. My guess is that the shooter is a minor since they haven't released the name.

huh, thought i saw a mugshot of a dude on another article

The suspect's identity was not released, and the sheriff's office stated it anticipated releasing more information "in the coming days."

this is a pretty shitfucked story though :(

I've spent a lot of time in the Sierra City/Downieville/Bassetts/Graeagle area and the mountain sides are steep and would make for prime locations for such a thing. I always carried a Ti .357 revolver, but never felt like I needed it including doing night MTB rides. It was mostly for bears while fly fishing.

Fucked up, that's for sure. Any guesses as to dude being on psyc meds?

I'll never understand random acts of violence. I can understand getting mad enough at someone to kill them or even killing someone out of jealousy or even as a robbery because some piece of shit values that person's belongings over their life. But killing someone just for the helluva it? I'll never be able to comprehend that.

Didn't see this here -

This kid lost his dad, and could be losing his mom? That is just absolute shit.

Anything that we could do for the kid, mom?

Sierra County Sheriff's Office

18 hrs ·

PRESS RELEASE

Multi-Agency Response Ends Active Shooter
Threat in Sierra County

On July 3, 2020, at about 1600 hours, the Sierra County Sheriff's Office received information that two persons sustained gunshot wounds by an assailant in the Poker Flat area of northwestern Sierra County. The assailant was driving a utility terrain vehicle (UTV). Neither victim knew the shooter, and the act appeared to be a random act of violence.

After the two victims were transported out of the area, a 911 call came in from a 15-year-old caller in the same general area. The 15-year-old told the 911 dispatcher that he and his father, who was later identified as Dr. Ari Gershman, a physician from Danville, encountered the suspect while driving down a dirt road. The suspect opened fire on Dr. Gershman and his son, killing Dr. Gershman. The juvenile son fled into the forest to escape the shooter and find an area where he could call for help.

Throughout the night of July 3, and into the following day, the Sierra County Sheriff's Office coordinated a massive law enforcement response to the area. Responding agencies included: U.S. Forest Service, California Highway Patrol, California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW), Grass Valley Police Department, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Shasta, and Yuba counties. Additionally, helicopters from the California Highway Patrol, Washoe County (Nevada), and Placer County Sheriff's Office assisted throughout the incident.

Initial responding officers were able to locate Dr. Gershman and his vehicle. Officers searched the surrounding area for the suspect and missing juvenile. Officers remained in the area searching throughout the night. As day broke the following morning, tactical teams were assembled and continued searching the area.

In the afternoon of July 4, CDFW wildlife officers and a K-9, using human tracking skills, hiked through the forest with a Sierra County Deputy tracking the missing juvenile. Although the juvenile had fled a considerable distance, the officers were able to track and locate him. Even though the juvenile had fled the shooting and spent the night alone in the forest, he was in good physical condition and did not require medical attention. After giving him some food and water, officers transported him to the Sheriff's Office, where he was reunited with his mother.

Shortly after locating the juvenile, the suspect approached two CDFW wildlife officers and a USFS officer at high speed in the UTV. The officers were maintaining a checkpoint on Saddleback Road and attempted to stop the vehicle. The suspect failed to stop and tried to run over the two wildlife officers and then fled south on Saddleback Road towards Downieville. A third wildlife officer was positioned down the road in Downieville and started driving up the hill to block the suspects' vehicle. A vehicle collision ultimately occurred as officers were attempting to take the suspect into custody. The suspect immediately represented a threat to the officers, leading to an officer-involved shooting and deployment of a K-9. The suspect was taken into custody, and after receiving medical treatment at the scene, he was transported to the hospital. The suspect has been identified as John Thomas Conway, age 40, Oroville.

In addition to the above law enforcement agencies who assisted in this incident, I would like to thank the Downieville and Sierra City Fire Departments for their quick response and medical treatment of the shooting victims. I would also like to thank the Sierra County businesses and numerous local volunteers who made food for the officers involved in the incident.

The Sheriff’s Office is working closely with Sierra County District Attorney who anticipates announcing charges soon.

Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to please contact the Sierra County Sheriff’s Office at (530) 289-3700.
###

Wife and I wheeled to Poker Flat from the La Porte side just 2 weeks ago :eek:
I guess we figuratively and almost literally dodged a bullet.

There's a lot of tweekers and fringe-ish gold miners in the hills so we were "prepared".
Damned glad we didn't get into a gunfight or get room-temperatured on our vacation.

Shitty situation. I feel bad for the folks shot by the shitbag. :frown: Tweekers suck :flipoff:

EDIT: here's the (alleged) shitbag, John Thomas Conway:

ab0f738a-0100-4e0b-a3ef-e77e4d352096-large1x1_ConwayJohn.jpg?1594224685559.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	ab0f738a-0100-4e0b-a3ef-e77e4d352096-large1x1_ConwayJohn.jpg?1594224685559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	65067

In August of 2019, the Butte County Sheriff's Office (BCSO) listed Conway as one of their 'Most Wanted.' In a news release, BCSO said they were seeking John Thomas Conway for a felony warrant charging him with vandalism, battery, and two counts of making terrorist threats.

Source: https://krcrtv.com/news/local/butte-...hoe-nat-forest

Mu'fugger needs body temperature = room temperature, ASAP :mad3:

Last edited:
Glad to read they deployed a K9 on that guy, I hope they waited a while to pull it off

I'll never understand random acts of violence. I can understand getting mad enough at someone to kill them or even killing someone out of jealousy or even as a robbery because some piece of shit values that person's belongings over their life. But killing someone just for the helluva it? I'll never be able to comprehend that.

This kind of shit scares the shit out of me, makes me sick... I hope the kid is able to find a way to have a good life.

It looks like the suspect was shot and chewed on by the K9. Good.

Stuff like this really pisses me off. That K9 should have gone for the throat.
What a piece of shit...

Donation made, lets come through for these people as we used to on the old board.

Semi local to me, I was at gold lake just a few weeks ago.

I've spent a lot of time driving out on less traveled dirt roads. From as young as I can remember and still do it. Not the type of thing you really think will happen in the middle of nowhere.

Imo this is a result of pos state and especially this county releasing criminals.

That guy that tried to shoot up a school near corning and red bluff a few years ago had been arrested for stabbing a women a few months before. Which ended up being one of his victims. :mad3:

Can't wait to get out of this place ran by total pieces of shit.

Same here.

Didn't see this here -

Last Friday, a dad was out wheeling with his teen son in their new Jeep, somewhere near Downieville CA.
A random fuckwad decided to go out there hunting humans that day and the kid got to see his dad shot and killed in front of him.
Kid escaped, called the cops and spent 30hrs hiding from gunman before the search team found him...and later the gunman they caught after chasing him down on his ATV.
....apparently the asshole also shot two other people (who survived) in separate attacks in the same area that day!

WTF is wrong with people? Can't say being killed by a random crazy person when I'm out wheeling on public land ever crossed my mind. Stay safe out there.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...e-15390090.php

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/ar...1-15390331.php

Another reason to disband suckremento!
time for the prk's civil\revolt\disbandment!

I’ve been up almost every driveway in D-Ville, and never once been worried about shit like this.

It’s always been the bears hiding in the back yards that will scare the shit out of you when you’re not paying attention.

There’s bear shit on the tennis court in town.

Top Back Refresh