What's new

Making vanilla extract

ridenby

Member Number
Loc
Kentucky
I make what I call vanilla extract by filling a container with vanilla beans and Tito's vodka. People(women) seem to like it. Simple. Just how I like it.

Infusion brewing in Omaha has a large jar of that on the bar.

I have my first 2 batches aging in the pantry now. I did one jar with Titos and one with whiskey to see the difference.

I make what I call vanilla extract by filling a container with vanilla beans and Tito's vodka. People(women) seem to like it. Simple. Just how I like it.
Thats what we do but don’t waste good vodka. The point is to taste the vanilla not the vodka. Do you keep a jar going and just add more beans as needed or make a batch and then start over? We just add vodka and beans to our jar and refill our container as needed

I have a jar with vodka and another with rum brewing right now. Tito's is a waste. You don't want the cheapest stuff, but there's not reason to use top shelf either. Cheap 80 proof works just fine.....though I've read where others claim that higher proof stuff works even better.

Beans ? Ive seen the stuff it comes from and its not beans its like a bark from a tree or something.

They call it beans but it dont look like any beans ive seen.

Costco has vanilla extract but its like 30 per pint.

Last edited:
If you just want to extract the good stuff from the beans to cook with, 70 proof vodka works ok but really high proof stuff like everclear would do a better job. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 ounces per fifth of booze. If you want to make something nice to drink you want to cut waaaaaay back on the beans.

Beans ? Ive seen the stuff it comes from and its not beans its like a bark from a tree or something.

They call it beans but it dont look like any beans ive seen.

That's because you are a fucking moron.

Last edited:
Thats what we do but don’t waste good vodka. The point is to taste the vanilla not the vodka. Do you keep a jar going and just add more beans as needed or make a batch and then start over? We just add vodka and beans to our jar and refill our container as needed
I give it to people. Let it sit for a few weeks-couple months first. Have switched to Everclear for latest batch. I tell people to just add more beans and vodka . I do not cook anything to need it myself. Am considering a icecream maker for grandkids use.

I give it to people. Let it sit for a few weeks-couple months first. Have switched to Everclear for latest batch. I tell people to just add more beans and vodka . I do not cook anything to need it myself. Am considering a icecream maker for grandkids use.
I add it to pancakes, waffles etc with some cinnamon and nutmeg. Yummm!

Top Back Refresh