What's new

Making a Dana 44 into a low speed trailer axle

Alaska was nothing until WW2, and then not much until the 60s-70s with the oilfield and pipeline. Other than 100 year old mining equipment we don't have shit for cool old iron like that.
yeah I thought about that a bit later, typed out a post and everything but must not have posted it
not much farming equipment out that way

Came here to post this after my last post. Only downside I could think of was noise in a turn and some intermittent chattering

using some long fiber grease with a tight tube would probably eliminate all my concerns above
I would just drill some holes in the pipe and fill the diff up with enough oil that the bottom of the pipe touches. You need oil for the bearings anyway, might as well let it do both jobs.

Oh, and cram a block of something in the diff so it takes less oil. :flipoff2:

Why tho?

What downside does running the normal capacity have for them?
Expense of throwing away expensive oil when something breaks in 300 feet. Many of those tractor rear axles are gutted of anything unnecessary so the system capacity goes up from the original 5-25 gallons (depending on model). Foam weighs nothing, oil is 7#/gal or more. Less oil means you can stack more weight were you want it. And of course, some of it is just being cheap.

Edit: aczlan beat me to it.:beer:

Top Back Refresh