What's new

Maine Bound!

Nice end to the day. Finally spotted a pair of does out in our fields. Wife was making dinner and I was talking to her when I noticed one way over by the burn pit. Grabbed the binoculars and spotted a second one off the road to the sand pit too.
Opening day for residents only is Saturday (tomorrow) ..

Start wearing orange when out in the woods so you don't get shot by some ass-hat

Opening day for residents only is Saturday (tomorrow) ..

Start wearing orange when out in the woods so you don't get shot by some ass-hat
Yep. Got a Carhart orange beanie being delivered today actually. Though usually when I’m in the woods it’s on the quad. Still, better safe than sorry.

And here is something I haven’t seen in almost 20 years. Woke up to our first frost this morning.
9815BEB6-1095-4AAB-80C3-089F88219E56.jpeg
87C2DDB4-5FDE-4FBC-A705-81678838F1A7.jpeg

for some reason the truck wouldn’t remote start this morning. And I also discovered the passenger side washer nozzle is apparently clogged. Need to address that at some point later today.

first priority today though is more party prep. Gotta start another round of pumpkin bread, boil off my eggs for the deviled eggs so I can crack and soak them overnight in blueberry water to give them veins, make my pico de gailo and start my scallop and shrimp ceviche soaking for the shooters. Then this evening is trunk or treat down the road.

Well this is quite the treat. It’s amazing having a garage big enough to easily drive the Jeep into AND have plenty of room to move and work around it! Got it pretty well cleaned up, checked fluids, and loaded the decorations and candy in it for tonight’s Trunk or Treat.
D3DF37E4-3ACD-4503-BF81-E2E32CC92328.jpeg

Well this is quite the treat. It’s amazing having a garage big enough to easily drive the Jeep into AND have plenty of room to move and work around it! Got it pretty well cleaned up, checked fluids, and loaded the decorations and candy in it for tonight’s Trunk or Treat.
D3DF37E4-3ACD-4503-BF81-E2E32CC92328.jpeg
I think the General Lee would have you covered for safety Orange, during hunting season :laughing:

Well trunk or treat was a lot of fun. Got to meet some more neighbors and of course the General was the star of the show. Kids had a great time and got a bunch of candy. This was honestly SOO much nicer than the huge trunk or treat I used to go to in El Cajon. Much smaller scale, everyone hung out and talked, man, small town life is just fantastic.
EFC45D0E-A884-4B79-B0D2-1F2865FF0600.jpeg
BFB64F60-366A-403C-AB5D-EC84638DD21E.jpeg
B74D67E5-0575-4591-A0E4-D59FFACF7486.jpeg
E593745D-FA45-4934-8953-74E0F89208D5.jpeg
EBB50F7A-4010-45C4-BE9B-D39F44BC9493.jpeg
CEEE73AE-A592-43A1-A000-8B07C6478A53.jpeg
5F242710-4226-4110-BB79-AF7135095F06.jpeg
DB26140D-B121-462D-8074-1521972F06AD.jpeg

edit: fun fact, those inflatable things are almost all 12v. Just cut off the power adapter plug and put a cigarette lighter 13v plug on the end instead and powered it right off the 12V port in the Jeep.

More pics of the party food. Decent turn out and a good time was had by all. Especially the kids.
I did:
Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread (fucking amazing)
Deviled eggs
witches brooms (pretzel sticks shoved in a half a cheese stick wrapped with a chive)
Caprese salad eyeballs with balsamic vinegar reduction
pico de gailo
shrimp and scallop ceviche shooters
mini bagel pizzas
stuffed mushrooms
gourmet worms in dirt on ice cream cones. top layer was a dark chocolate whip cream I made from scratch.
wife and daughter did cupcakes, cookies, Rice Krispie treats and brownies.

0BA1BCBA-1C59-4593-BF4C-893143C97EE0.jpeg
BA8C3073-0173-4D43-9647-B2DC427CB9B6.jpeg
6650BEDB-6E71-4F5A-A2EC-903FDCC0B284.jpeg
107695C3-5367-4070-AB9D-0AA31EF683B4.jpeg
38A60E44-0731-453C-8E18-89ECB131938A.jpeg
A1316A24-6EE9-4B06-82B2-1101A1190F41.jpeg

Damn we thought popcorn balls and bobbing for apples was the ultimate when we were kids at Halloween!
No popcorn balls, but I did get a steel basin and set up bobbing for apples in the garage. Kids were having too much fun doing other shit though. Nobody did it.

Went grocery shopping today and picked up ingredients for that pumpkin bread!! One of the many reasons I love fall!! I grew up eating that and that down east main recipe is almost dead on how my grandma and then mom made it!!

That spread of food is crazy!!

Went grocery shopping today and picked up ingredients for that pumpkin bread!! One of the many reasons I love fall!! I grew up eating that and that down east main recipe is almost dead on how my grandma and then mom made it!!

That spread of food is crazy!!
That pumpkin bread is downright delicious! Moist, sweet, it’s fantastic. Definitely added to my saved recipes for sure.

Just how much crack do you do throughout the day, at what intervals to be so productive? Asking for a friend....
None. I did some of the food yesterday. Been making the pumpkin bread for two days (2 loaves a day). yesterday I did the pico and ceviche so it sat overnight for the flavors to blend well and the shrimp and scallop to “cook”. Boiled the eggs in blueberry water yesterday and soaked them in it overnight after cracking them to get the spiderweb patterns in em. Also made the basil oil and balsamic vinegar reduction yesterday as well. The rest I knocked out in a couple of hours today.

None. I did some of the food yesterday. Been making the pumpkin bread for two days (2 loaves a day). yesterday I did the pico and ceviche so it sat overnight for the flavors to blend well and the shrimp and scallop to “cook”. Boiled the eggs in blueberry water yesterday and soaked them in it overnight after cracking them to get the spiderweb patterns in em. Also made the basil oil and balsamic vinegar reduction yesterday as well. The rest I knocked out in a couple of hours today.
I unloaded the dishwasher today, I need a nap.:homer:

Pretty productive day today. I have a line on a nice used 6’ brush hog from one of the neighbors with a set of brand new blades for $600. Hoping to go buy and pick it up tomorrow so I can finally get my fields hogged before winter.
with that knowledge I spent most of today doing some prep for that. Starting with greasing all the zerks on the tractor since this little beauty and my case of marine grade grease tubes showed up Saturday.
289E9742-8058-420D-B242-E0A11C8D8D9A.jpeg

right out of the box installed the long reach lock n lube tip on it. How the fuck did I ever live without this thing!? Holy fuck! Sooooo much better than the old mini manual pump guns I’ve always used and always hated with a passion. This thing is tits! And I love the lock n lube tip too.

after that the boy and I hopped on the quad with the little lawn trailer and went and did a thorough tour of the fields. We looped up some loose wire fencing in a few places where they have been on the ground for I don’t know how long. Don’t want them getting caught up and wrapped up in the brush hog. We also picked up and moved any large rocks that were moveable and anything else we found that could jack up the hog. Also used some driveway marking stakes to mark a few larger boulders hidden in the weeds that I can’t move so I know where to avoid. And we went ahead and marked a few things along the sides of the driveway I won’t be able to see when the snow hits so I don’t plow where I shouldn’t.

took a little break and did some more axe throwing. While not a bullseye, I’m pretty damn happy with how my grouping is getting.
F4B8880E-147A-46DF-91F7-7096D43E014A.jpeg

my case of marine grade grease tubes .
If its that Tealish colored stuff, I would recommend using something else. I used the TSC offroad/marine stuff to do a bunch of wheel bearings and what I've discovered is that stuff hardens and drys out. Red N' Tacky is what you want on Tractors. It's not like its actually being submerged like a boat trailer, and if it is, you are bush hogging wrong...

Grease wise I use shell gadus #2 for pins and bearings. It’s good but the best stuff I found is primrose armor plate 327 #2 grease. Shit refuses to pound out.

I got a case of the Lucas marine grade stuff. I’ve always used marine grade on the Jeep, so I figured the tractor would do well with the same. Pretty much hit all the pivots on the FEL, the front knuckles, and the pivots on the rear 3 point.

and yeah, I’ve got some full ditches, culverts, and low spots in the fields from the deluge of rain we got here yesterday. It may well get pretty wet.

Just think - if you figure out the right ratio you could have done that all in like 5 min!! JK- just amazed at how productive you are- or rather how unproductive I am :lmao: Maybe my :beer: ratio is off??

More productivity today. After I put the girl on the bus I loaded all 4 gas fuel jugs and all 4 diesel fuel jugs in the truck and headed into Ellsworth. Weekly trip to Home Depot for a few things, then the gas station to fill the truck and all my fuel jugs. Swung by the town office on my way home to vote on the three ballot measures. Voted yes on 1. Fuck CMP and their corridor that was already rejected by NY and NH from what I’ve gathered.

got home and stowed all the fuel jugs on the shelf in the carport. Rounded up all the Halloween decor and stowed it in the storage room in the basement. Topped up the mower tank and added stabil to it. It’s ready for it’s winter nap. Cleaned up and organized the garage a bit more in preparation to start parking in it at the end of the week. (Leaving the cars out until at least thursday when dead river comes to drop off another propane tank and plumb my garage heater in case we have to get to the heater.)

RV cover was delivered yesterday. Also Thursday I will be laying some wood across the roof and putting the cover on it for the winter. Split some more firewood for my back stock in the pole barn, threw some axes, then decided while I was up in the man cave I should go ahead and start stripping some stuff out of it to prep for paint. I started by knocking out the wood shelf/cabinet things. Thinking this will be a great spot for a couch and coffee table down the line a bit.

5C7841F6-76F7-4BDB-A3F2-E335EFEA21BE.jpeg
F049A6C3-6B65-4034-98E5-715376BD6358.jpeg

next I need to finish taking down the last few boards still attached to the wall. Then I want to remove the first two metal shelves and take that wall extension down level with the three I am leaving just to open the space up a bit more. Once I get all that moved out plan is to paint the ceiling and walls before I do the flooring. Also gotta take all this scrap wood down to the burn pit.

taking a break for a bite to eat while I decide what else to do today. Hoping I can go grab that brush hog this evening.

Top Back Refresh