What's new

Maine Bound!

Any recipes for "black bread" ? I grew up in a Polish/German household and that was very common, but very difficult to find outside the midwest.

Oh fuck. I hope not, but it could very well be. The sensor does go into a hole where the bearing would pretty much have to be what it’s reading.
You put the bearing in backwards. grab a paperclip...it'll stick to one of the seals...put that one towards the sensor. Good thing you've got a spare

Goddamn I love pumpkin bread! Still needs to get a bit colder here and my wife's going to make some, we use that same recipe you posted!

Well the boy and I went to Home Depot this morning to grab some more winterizing supplies.

first task was in the mud room. Noticed this morning that it’s way colder in there than the rest of the first floor. The room itself is well insulated all the way around with the exception of the dog door cut into the wall next to the man door to the front yard. It’s basically just a piece of plastic. Not much R value in that. We don’t currently have a dog and I’ve blocked it to keep the cats and kid from getting out thru it. So for now I picked up some rigid foam board insulation and completely filled the dog door void with it. Also filled the voids around it with great stuff. I’m hoping that solves the issue and keeps the cold out and the heat in in there.

went down to the basement for a while and walked the utility room and other areas with a couple more cans of great stuff filling cracks and voids that I saw. Also walked around outside the house and did the same.

I also snagged 6 tubes of clear silicone sealant and have spent some time sealing around the inside of all the windows wherever I saw gaps or cracks around the frames. All the god damn lady bugs that have been finding their way in the house the last two weeks told me we had some. I also know from my old man (who worked for Honeywell for decades doing home heating/energy audits and efficiency upgrades) that gaps like that are heat thieves. So I spent a fair bit of time sealing every gap I could find. I also bought a new IR temp gun I’ve been using to check for cold spots to see what else I may need to address.

tommorow I’m going to do my outside water spigot shut offs and drain and stow the hoses and put the insulating pouches I got on them all. And I am going to go down into the second basement under my daughters bedroom. I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to find little to no insulation in the floor of her room. Her bedroom too is a cold room compared to the rest of the house. Though because it is an addition, it was not tied into the existing heating system. Instead it has a mini split for just that room.

I am pleased to say, that even without the garage heater running just yet, it is a good ten degrees warmer in the garage than it is outside, so the insulation there appears to be quite good.

Well the boy and I went to Home Depot this morning to grab some more winterizing supplies.

first task was in the mud room. Noticed this morning that it’s way colder in there than the rest of the first floor. The room itself is well insulated all the way around with the exception of the dog door cut into the wall next to the man door to the front yard. It’s basically just a piece of plastic. Not much R value in that. We don’t currently have a dog and I’ve blocked it to keep the cats and kid from getting out thru it. So for now I picked up some rigid foam board insulation and completely filled the dog door void with it. Also filled the voids around it with great stuff. I’m hoping that solves the issue and keeps the cold out and the heat in in there.

went down to the basement for a while and walked the utility room and other areas with a couple more cans of great stuff filling cracks and voids that I saw. Also walked around outside the house and did the same.

I also snagged 6 tubes of clear silicone sealant and have spent some time sealing around the inside of all the windows wherever I saw gaps or cracks around the frames. All the god damn lady bugs that have been finding their way in the house the last two weeks told me we had some. I also know from my old man (who worked for Honeywell for decades doing home heating/energy audits and efficiency upgrades) that gaps like that are heat thieves. So I spent a fair bit of time sealing every gap I could find. I also bought a new IR temp gun I’ve been using to check for cold spots to see what else I may need to address.

tommorow I’m going to do my outside water spigot shut offs and drain and stow the hoses and put the insulating pouches I got on them all. And I am going to go down into the second basement under my daughters bedroom. I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to find little to no insulation in the floor of her room. Her bedroom too is a cold room compared to the rest of the house. Though because it is an addition, it was not tied into the existing heating system. Instead it has a mini split for just that room.

I am pleased to say, that even without the garage heater running just yet, it is a good ten degrees warmer in the garage than it is outside, so the insulation there appears to be quite good.
We got one of these for our dogs. Not perfect but the dual flaps do help.

I've done that too, you can drive yourself insane chasing cold spots!
Yeah. I’m not looking to nail down every single one in the whole house, but it’s helped me narrow down the trouble areas and exactly what is colder than the rest. The outlets in my daughters room for instance are a good 5 degrees colder Than the walls next to them. Now I thought I had put foam insulators under the cover plates of every outlet on an exterior wall, but I’m thinking now I may not have had them yet when I did her room, so I need to go back and add them to her outlets.

Yeah. I’m not looking to nail down every single one in the whole house, but it’s helped me narrow down the trouble areas and exactly what is colder than the rest. The outlets in my daughters room for instance are a good 5 degrees colder Than the walls next to them. Now I thought I had put foam insulators under the cover plates of every outlet on an exterior wall, but I’m thinking now I may not have had them yet when I did her room, so I need to go back and add them to her outlets.
Get a FLIR or SEEK IR camera for your phone....way better than those stupid laser thermometers

You put the bearing in backwards. grab a paperclip...it'll stick to one of the seals...put that one towards the sensor. Good thing you've got a spare

apparently I didn’t. I spent some more time fucking with this today. New bearing that was a spare doesn’t have a magnet in it either. And looking at the back of the knuckle, the ABS sensor appears to read the Cv shaft. The little hole there is for the ABS sensor.
C4F07ECC-15DB-42A5-98AE-6466B8FBF0AD.jpeg

that said, i also put a new sensor in on that wheel. Fucking thing is still showing the abs and traction co tool lights.

Well I finally went and got down in the secret second basement under my daughters bedroom. It is accessed thru a panel in the floor of the closet.
90FF2247-3C7E-4199-B695-87A9F7DB30D0.jpeg
3577A45E-C038-481D-B64B-2688339A9930.jpeg

yes I know the flooring on the panel is different than the rest. It’s a peel and stick vinyl that I got to put on the access cover which was just a plain ass piece of plywood when we got here. Usual
y can’t see the floor on her closet anyway with all her clothes on it.

at any rate, while my suspicion was correct that there is no insulation in the floor, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. It actually wasn’t super cold down here. I do think it would be worth adding some foam board insulation above the ICF blocks as those boards temped out a fair bit colder Than the rest of the basement. I’m also thinking it may still be worth adding insulation to the floor. If not to keep cold basement air from coming up, but to keep the heat in her bedroom from seeping down into the basement.
CA63D234-F45F-4645-A19C-D3A3C27A30F5.jpeg
A6287B3E-B55E-4704-B8A2-1AFFC00DB3B2.jpeg

I also spent a bit of time going back and adding insulator foam pieces to the power outlets on the exterior walls on the first floor. I realized I didn’t have these on hand when I originally did the first floor.
E7E798E8-0700-44A0-ABE2-13D14F71DE80.jpeg

while small, it does make a difference in cold air penetration from outside. You can see in these two pics the difference between the drywall next to the outlet and the outlet cover before adding the foam.
B79E127F-149C-4163-BBA3-50C64A563721.jpeg
5D1A7360-7B70-4B78-85F7-8A5BA69C3EC9.jpeg

and after the foam was added and the cover put back on.

BC890CBF-6629-48BE-80B0-E2F5FBD346B8.jpeg

I also called Dead River and have them coming out on November 4th to deliver and hook up a second propane tank and connect my garage heater to the propane.

Junction needs to be in a box and wire stapled up! :flipoff2::flipoff2:
I'll not say anything about how crooked the recep is!
oh I know. That wasn’t me. Didn’t even know about it until I went down in the basement. That was whoever installed the light down there.

92 Green YJ
What year was your house built?
2000. I’m not sure what year the addition was done.

gonna need more than that on the secret hidden basement! That is awesome. What are your plans for it?

I don’t really have any. This is another one of those things we didn’t even know about u til the inspection. Have to use a ladder to get down there and I basically had to lower the ladder down from the top so I could even get down in there. So access to it is kind of a bitch. I can’t see storing anything down there I would want even semi regular access to, and frankly, I don’t need more storage space anyway, I’ve already got more than I know what to do with. I guess if I really felt frisky I could run some power down there and set up a hydroponic vegetable garden or something. Haven’t really thought about it or what to do if anything down there.

Well last thing I did today after I cleaned out and finished organizing the garage shelves was to finally attach the steel plate and vice to the welding table. Also stained the frame to match the regular workbench and oiled the steel top to keep it from rusting.
80E22BFF-2E4B-4289-93F7-9D7957DA6397.jpeg

still have to wire up and install the light under the cabinets and decide what to do under the bench. Torn between open shelves or some drawer units. I don’t really need the storage under there, but it’s wasted space otherwise so I may as well put something under it.

apparently I didn’t. I spent some more time fucking with this today. New bearing that was a spare doesn’t have a magnet in it either. And looking at the back of the knuckle, the ABS sensor appears to read the Cv shaft. The little hole there is for the ABS sensor.
C4F07ECC-15DB-42A5-98AE-6466B8FBF0AD.jpeg

that said, i also put a new sensor in on that wheel. Fucking thing is still showing the abs and traction co tool lights.
other side of the bearing have a purplish black seal? Sorta like the back of a cheap refrigerator magnet it certainly should
that is the magnet side

other side of the bearing have a purplish black seal? Sorta like the back of a cheap refrigerator magnet it certainly should
that is the magnet side
They either gave him the wrong bearing (2011 is the first year of the magnetic encoder seal in the bearing) or the chinese factory didn't get the memo and simply consolidated based on dimensions and supplied the wrong part to Oreilly....happens more often than it should, especially when you have people who have never worked on a car and know nothing about parts as product managers.

They either gave him the wrong bearing (2011 is the first year of the magnetic encoder seal in the bearing) or the chinese factory didn't get the memo and simply consolidated based on dimensions and supplied the wrong part to Oreilly....happens more often than it should, especially when you have people who have never worked on a car and know nothing about parts as product managers.
Seems that may be the issue. Fuck I do not want to have to blow it apart again. Though it did go much faster this time around.

My first thought it could be a mushroom closet..?

Second thought is mebbe a vault or panic room-
Don’t think it’s damp enough for a mushroom closet. Also we have a metric crap ton of edible wild mushrooms cropping up all over the property here already.

a hydroponic vegetable garden would be pretty cool though. And yes, vegetables. Nothing illegal or that should still be illegal. Cool thing with that is I could grow and have fresh veggies and such year round. Problem is I know nothing about actually doing it. So that would be a research project for sure.

Boy and I went to Hannaford this morning to buy all the various ingredients, foods, and drinks for the Halloween party we are having this weekend. This isn’t something we usually do, but my daughter wanted to have a party and I thought it was a good idea. Will be a good way to meet some people and the neighbors. So far we have about 18 people that have RSVPd that they are coming. I’ll be making food for double that though just to be on the safe side. Doing lots of cool creepy Halloween themed stuff.

so when we got home we started getting the dining room decorated and getting the tables set up. Not enough table space for the food so those two inflatable drink coolers (one for adult drinks and one for kids drinks) are gonna get moved to the kitchen island day of the party. It’s a start.
03856DFD-DD17-4204-AE45-9EEFABCB46A4.jpeg

Also tonight I am heading over to the Mariaville fire department for their weekly meeting/training to officially sign up to be a volunteer firefighter here.

gonna be a busy next few days. Taking the General Lee up the road to participate in the town trunk or treat and hand out candy on Friday. Saturday is the party. Sunday daughter has a Girl Scout meeting and we will probably take the kids to Ellsworth to go trick or treating.

Well, I have officially signed up to be a volunteer firefighter here in Mariaville. The nice new station that they just moved into is a whole mile from my house (including my driveway). Took me 3 minutes to get there tonight.

they meet at the firehouse every Wednesday at 7 pm for training, maintenance, etc. tonight just so happened to be maintenance night. So the assistant chief (who it turns out is my neighbor right up the road on the other side of the POs shop) had me shadow the guy doing the maintenance checks on the 2500 gallon tanker truck. We got about halfway thru the list when we found the truck was only 1/4 full. So we hopped in and took it down the road to the dry hydrant that pulls from a stream and filled it up.
8C7EF88D-66F8-4B68-B3DA-19EBB1DDA5B4.jpeg
543F3D0D-364E-4434-A72A-E6FF0FE855FA.jpeg

fucker filled fast too. I’d say it took all of 5 minutes to fill it.

other rigs in the station are a heavy duty ambulance, a newer large engine, and a mid 90s smaller engine that they are working on replacing.
6E904919-B139-42E0-99B4-3B6042A52B79.jpeg
9C730DBC-FF8C-4BD7-B1AF-6F5F1EA9530B.jpeg

oh yeah, the guy with the paper in his hand by the ambulance is another new volunteer that just showed up tonight. First time ever they had two new volunteers sign up on the same night.

down in the cities by where I used to work they still run an old ford 9000 with a 2 stroke detroit in it
they got newer ones, but they keep that one around for whatever reason
I just think its neat, factory GM engine in a ford (and they sound like nothing else going by)

down in the cities by where I used to work they still run an old ford 9000 with a 2 stroke detroit in it
they got newer ones, but they keep that one around for whatever reason
I just think its neat, factory GM engine in a ford (and they sound like nothing else going by)
Yeah I guess the big thing apart from the age is it’s not 4WD like the rest of the rigs in the house. Also only has a 500 gallon onboard tank. Water is a big deal here. There are no hydrants. Apparently the tanker I was working on this evening is a recent acquisition due to a grant they received. They ordered it fully loaded. Apart from the vacuum pump onboard to suck water from a lake or stream (they have several screens depending on the water source) they also ordered it with an onboard pump so in a pinch they can fight a fire right out of the tanker directly. And there is a big hudraulicly deployed 2500 gallon soft sided water reservoir mounted to the side of the thing. So they pull up, push a button to deploy the holding tank, dump the truck tank into it which the engine can then feed from while the tanker truck goes and refills. Ideally they can keep the soft tank filled indefinitely that way.

Yeah I guess the big thing apart from the age is it’s not 4WD like the rest of the rigs in the house. Also only has a 500 gallon onboard tank. Water is a big deal here. There are no hydrants. Apparently the tanker I was working on this evening is a recent acquisition due to a grant they received. They ordered it fully loaded. Apart from the vacuum pump onboard to suck water from a lake or stream (they have several screens depending on the water source) they also ordered it with an onboard pump so in a pinch they can fight a fire right out of the tanker directly. And there is a big hudraulicly deployed 2500 gallon soft sided water reservoir mounted to the side of the thing. So they pull up, push a button to deploy the holding tank, dump the truck tank into it which the engine can then feed from while the tanker truck goes and refills. Ideally they can keep the soft tank filled indefinitely that way.
Around here they will have three or four departments bring in tanker trucks, leave one pumper at the scene to pump water onto the fire with four to six trucks shuttling water and dumping it into either the collapsible pond or the pumper truck itself.
Depending on how it is set up they may feed a pumper truck with a tanker truck that gets parked at the scene, then the tanker either gets refilled by the tanker brigade or drafts out of the collapsible pond.
That way two tanker trucks at a time can be unloading their tanks and heading back for more water.

Aaron Z

Yeah, Hydrant districts up here are the exception. Normal Structure fires draw 4-10 departments just for tankers (because that's what they are called on the east coast, nobody calls them tenders you butthurt NFPA weenies). Second or third due Engine Normally doesn't even goes to scene but goes to establish water supply which can be anything from a dry hydrant to a frozen pond that gets a hole chainsawed into it. A lot of times they end up setting up water supply on both sides of a fire if they can. Most Engines around here have 1000 gallon +/- tanks themselves, and gets hooked to the first tanker (1500-4000 Gal) until they can get the dump ponds set up. They practice Tanker Shuttles a few times a year because its just how things have to be done up here. Sometimes my hometown would send their 4x4 F350 forestry truck that has a 500GPM gas powered pump on the bed down to the side of ponds to use for water supply.

My hometown's big bitch 4000 Gal, 500GPM
_nc_ohc=xgMIH_jj8J0AX8RvSTF&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg

Yeah, Hydrant districts up here are the exception. Normal Structure fires draw 4-10 departments just for tankers (because that's what they are called on the east coast, nobody calls them tenders you butthurt NFPA weenies). Second or third due Engine Normally doesn't even goes to scene but goes to establish water supply which can be anything from a dry hydrant to a frozen pond that gets a hole chainsawed into it. A lot of times they end up setting up water supply on both sides of a fire if they can. Most Engines around here have 1000 gallon +/- tanks themselves, and gets hooked to the first tanker (1500-4000 Gal) until they can get the dump ponds set up. They practice Tanker Shuttles a few times a year because its just how things have to be done up here. Sometimes my hometown would send their 4x4 F350 forestry truck that has a 500GPM gas powered pump on the bed down to the side of ponds to use for water supply.

My hometown's big bitch 4000 Gal, 500GPM
_nc_ohc=xgMIH_jj8J0AX8RvSTF&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg
That things a monster! Our station also has a small forestry pump stowed in the gear locker of the tanker. Pretty sweet little machine. It’s on a frame that you can sling on your back to haul into the woods if necessary.

Been bouncing around a bit so far this morning. Started my day doing a batch of Downeast Maine pumpkin bread in the bread machine. While that was doing its thing I went and strung up 150’ of cafe lights in the outside play area so the kids can play out there at night.

then I got on the tractor and went and filled a couple of potholes that have developed in my driveway. When I got it back up to the garage I went ahead and did some winter prep on it. Checked the fluids, converted the headlights and work lights to LEDs, swapped to winter washer fluid, etc. still need to order a winter wiper blade for it and I’m waiting for my Dewalt 20V grease gun to arrive so I can grease it all up.

took a hawk throwing break. Then I decided I want to be able to do this inside somewhere over the winter. So I took another skinny round and mounted it to the back wall in the man cave.
5F52103A-6A19-4BFA-A606-1170903EE3D2.jpeg
BEC46878-DF97-4F79-96D5-0D001F75EA5B.jpeg

went and set up some more outside decorations for the party, then got all my decor loaded in the Jeep for trunk or treat tomorrow.

then I came inside to check on my loaf of pumpkin bread. Fucking delicious! Gonna let the machine cool a bit then clean it and start a second loaf. Do two more tomorrow and one more Saturday morning and I’ll have 5 loaves worth for the party.
F573D233-12BB-428B-B6D8-52D28567BD6D.jpeg

Nice end to the day. Finally spotted a pair of does out in our fields. Wife was making dinner and I was talking to her when I noticed one way over by the burn pit. Grabbed the binoculars and spotted a second one off the road to the sand pit too.

Top Back Refresh