What's new

Maine Bound!

are you going to cover the OSB with something? I've never seen a finish on OSB that I'd find acceptable for a living area, it always looks choppy and chunky. I guess maybe some thick deck paint or something might cover it better than normal paint

are you going to cover the OSB with something? I've never seen a finish on OSB that I'd find acceptable for a living area, it always looks choppy and chunky. I guess maybe some thick deck paint or something might cover it better than normal paint
Yeah I was thinking about that. The stuff I used to paint it in the garage is ok. Still doesn’t look super great but it’s alright I guess. I don’t know if I want to deal with trying to drywall this whole space though. It’s a lot of area to cover and then I have to tape, mud, etc. I know the stuff downstairs in the garage also sucked up a bunch of paint too. I’m open to suggestions for a quick and easy way to smooth it out before paint if anyone has anything.

I suppose I could go cabin style and just cover it all with tongue and groove pine….

Candian
Moose
Party?

Tried the bread machine last night other than getting flour all over trying to measure out grams. turned out pretty good. Not sure what happened with mom's one and only batch. Oh I have a new job now

Yeah I was thinking about that. The stuff I used to paint it in the garage is ok. Still doesn’t look super great but it’s alright I guess. I don’t know if I want to deal with trying to drywall this whole space though. It’s a lot of area to cover and then I have to tape, mud, etc. I know the stuff downstairs in the garage also sucked up a bunch of paint too. I’m open to suggestions for a quick and easy way to smooth it out before paint if anyone has anything.

I suppose I could go cabin style and just cover it all with tongue and groove pine….
Thin coat of spackle maybe?

So for my next project today I decided to go clean up and organize the boiler room. I’ve just kind of been chucking boxes in there for a while and a bunch were right up against the boiler. So I went and broke them all down and stacked them neatly. Ready to be used to start fires in the boiler when I go to fire it up. Gonna have to see if I can get one of the POs kids to come over and give me a run down on how to use this thing. I know there’s a switch at the oil burner in the basement I have to throw when running the wood boiler, but I’m not sure what all has to be done in the boiler room itself. There’s a couple of switches and a thermostat in here too.

1C861A6C-58F2-4F4E-A1C5-CA0CE92587A3.jpeg
A4A2C7C5-AB0C-483D-B917-C7F3A2F37DBE.jpeg
2E2153BD-43B7-4CFC-A71D-E280E1A2B52E.jpeg

He's Referring to Central Maine Power, which isn't even his utility. Basically they put a bid in with Hydro Quebec to supply Mass with renewable energy that involves running a HVDC like from Quebec to Lewiston in Western/Central Maine and then rides existing lines from there. Its "destroying" some of Maine's "precious untouched forest" by cutting a 60-150' right of way through 50 something miles of heavily logged commercial forest. For anybody who lives up here, notice in all of the ads that show the cut portions of the corridor don't have a tree in them more than 4 or 5 inches around? Seems kind of weird for the "untouched pristine forest" they make it out to be. The real thing happening is that people hate CMP right now because they had a bad surprise storm years ago that had lackluster restoration and on the same weekend switched to a new billing system that got royally fucked up by the storm data and sent out months worth of very incorrect bills, and then they handled it very very badly from there. And the only thing most Mainers hate more than CMP right now is Massachusetts, so that doesn't help either. But go ahead and pretend that CMP is the only company lying and that NextEra and Calpine (who own most of the FF powered generation in New England) dumping millions of dollars into this fight because they don't want to compete with a Canadian government subsidized Hydro Company is irrelevant. Not looking to debate this on the internet but I work in that industry and at one point I worked on that project, and while I don't care about the actual outcome, because I can't see it from my house, I am bothered by the misinformation that the Yes on 1 campaign has been spamming for 4 years totally unchecked just because people hate CMP (for mostly valid reasons). </rant off>

Don't let your insurance company see the cardboard pile 18" from the wood boiler...

I've never seen painted OSB and thought, "wow that looks great, I want that in my man space" but hey, different strokes for different folks. I know a few people who have used it in garages and it does seem to suck up a ton of paint. It always seems to look dirty to me because of all the choppyness. If it were me and I didn't feel like sheetrocking (which I fully get) I would look at some paneling maybe? Think T1-11 type of thing but thinner? I guess 1978 mobile home asthenic is better than painted OSB to me? T+G works but it will be kind of pricy and unless you seal it, it darkens a lot over time. Lot of ski houses over my way built in the early 2000s with way too much pine that are very dark and dingy now. I have T+G on my cathedral ceiling but we did a mix of white poly stain with straight satin poly to get an every so lightened look that should resist darkening (I hope).

There's my unsolicited feedback for the day.

Man, definitely not into the 70s wood paneling look. Thankfully that was way before my time. I do agree I don’t know about just painting over the OSB as is. It’s fine downstairs in the garage. I mean it’s a garage, it doesn’t have to be perfect. I do want it to look good up here for when we are hanging out shooting pool and such. Just not sure what direction to go right now. Sheet rock is a bitch to get right and smooth and just more work than I really feel like doing by myself up here.

hmmm, I wonder. Maybe some galvanized roofing would look cool as wall paneling. Maybe do that for like the bottom half of the wall or so then tongue and groove the rest to the ceiling. Still have to do something with the OSB on the ceiling though.

and the cardboard was actually sitting right against the boiler before I tidied up.

That’s actually kind of what I was thinking. Bet that stuff is easy to find cheap in these parts.
Run the metal up to 4 feet from the ceiling then (being a restaurant guy you should have experience with the stuff) run FRP paneling horizontally from the top of the metal to the roof. It’s already white and will be zero maintenance for as long as you live.
E5751A7F-EC18-47D0-B242-7EFD360301E1.jpeg

Like this except with the frp up top instead of the plaster finish. The paneling comes in 4x8 sheets so if you scale the sheet metal right you shouldn’t need to cut it down at all except for the end panel of your run.

Attachments

• 33585DC3-8250-4F17-8E6B-D7DB12012A0C.jpeg
    33585DC3-8250-4F17-8E6B-D7DB12012A0C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
man I gotta get to listing the garbage ass wood I pulled off the barn of mine that fell down
sick of looking at that trash and thinking of the sort of idiot that'd buy it
Don’t sell it too cheap lol.

Thin coat of spackle maybe?
i was going to mention this initially, but figured it was stupid and I'd be called an idiot :laughing:

another thought is the cheap click-lock flooring in place of T&G boards. I had one wall in the downstairs that had been fawked by wallpaper and ZERO desire to re-rock it. Picked up a couple boxes of the $1/ft click lock and made it into an "accent wall". it actually looks pretty good for what it is. Caveat is it's only 10' wide, maybe it wouldn't look so good on a 30' wall like you've got.

Still thinking the thick deck restore paint would work to smooth it all out fairly easy versus regular wall paint

maybe the non-wood looking wall panels? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Decorative...stal-Grey-Oak-Hardboard-Wall-Panel/5001730451

OR paint it half-assed to seal it, and "finish" it when you come across a deal on materials. There's a wholesale hardware store I enjoy wandering down near Portland, can't remember the name right now, but it's the ovestock kinda store. Mardens maybe? Wish they were down my way

Last edited:
hit it with a thousand coats of whatever garbage paint that you and anyone you know has laying around "it's no good it was in the garage for half a winter"
most everything revives plenty fine after getting hit with the drill paddle mixer

Young lady local works at a big paint store they have paint that the customer either didn't pick up or the color was wrong for sale cheap. Guy that repainted the house had bought a bunch of paint at an auction mixed it all together came out with an exceptibale color (and it was cheap) and painted our place

Hardwood flooring sander mounted on an adjustable height cart---- I turned some OSB board into to shelving instead of the metal grates the unit came with- a few hours drinking beers in the garage running the orbital sander on it worked great to get it 'smooth enough' 60grit was as course as I had and it worked decent

Hardwood flooring sander mounted on an adjustable height cart---- I turned some OSB board into to shelving instead of the metal grates the unit came with- a few hours drinking beers in the garage running the orbital sander on it worked great to get it 'smooth enough' 60grit was as course as I had and it worked decent
Good idea, thanks

Well today was a bit disappointing. Had Dead River out to place another propane tank and hook up my shop heater. They got the tank placed, but wouldn’t connect the heater. I guess it’s my own fault for not looking into it a bit more, but apparently the gas line I ran isn’t rated for outdoor use. It also has to be bonded to my electrical panel. So I’ve got to rework my set up a bit.

after that disappointment I went ahead and finished winterizing the RV and spent an hour putting the cover on it. What a pain in the ass this was to install. I also did was advised and added some wood framing across the roof and basically built a wood cover to go over the big skylight in the bathroom before I put the cover on. All tucked up for the winter nap.
2D51D5F4-D9AB-469B-8EA3-140AD9FD1BD2.jpeg
CCA1A755-20D6-4BA2-BB06-49D885172C43.jpeg

waiting for the neighbor to get off work so I can hopefully go pick up that brush hog this evening. It was 27* when I woke up this morning and we had a good frost. I’d like to get the fields hogged by the middle of next week if I can.

oh, also had my second fire department meeting last night. Did some training looking for a lost hiker (a big ass dummy made from old fire hose) in the woods behind the firehouse.

Is that a metal or shingled roof next to the rv? If metal I would be worried about ice hitting the side.

Being that close it’s prolly gonna fill with snow. Is that room it’s next too heated?

Is that a metal or shingled roof next to the rv? If metal I would be worried about ice hitting the side.

Being that close it’s prolly gonna fill with snow. Is that room it’s next too heated?
It’s a shingled roof. And I actually parked the RV further away from it than it was. Before I moved it out this morning to make it easier for them to place the propane tank it was only maybe 3 feet from the carport. Now it’s a good 6 to 7 feet from it. Wanted it further away mostly because I’ve mounted my ladders to that outside wall and it was a pain to slide thru there to get them out. And no, the carport is not heated.

I can’t really put it any further out due to a large drop off into the woods much further over and to the back. If I get a snow drift between the carport and the RV it’s not that big of a deal. I’m not planning to go into the RV again until spring. And there is a zipper by the drivers side door to the cab I could go thru if I really had or wanted to.

Can you park it within inches and use the leveling jacks to put a good slope on it? It should have enough some decent momentum when it's coming off the steel roof. Might still have enough inertia to slide over the motor-home :laughing:

Well I just dragged home a well used Bush Hog brand brush hog model 105. It’s definitely a bit rough but works and is serviceable. Going to grease it up, check the gear oil, put the new blades on it and just run it as is for now. Next year I’ll go ahead and fix a couple of dents, weld up the tear in the front corner, replace the bent three point brackets, and maybe toss some fresh paint on it. For now it should get the job done in the fields anyway.

88D115F5-12A9-491B-9D0D-14EC381CBAE0.jpeg
872D76E5-91F9-40F0-8FA5-3A03D9AAA9AF.jpeg

and yes, I know. I need to get some chains and binders. I’m used to hauling Jeep’s not equipment.

get some mice protection for the RV... not sure what works up there, but here, that thing would have tenants w/in a week in the cold.

get some mice protection for the RV... not sure what works up there, but here, that thing would have tenants w/in a week in the cold.
Its been a constant fight with rodents this year.
I'm about 1-1/2 hrs. south of the OP and legit I've seen a 5 fold increase over previous years.

We use some stuff called Fresh Cab in our RV, available at Tractor supply. Its pricey , it works , it smells good.
dryer sheets work but the wife hates the smell left behind so those are out.

Started my dozer yesterday and 4 mice came running out of the clutch housing... luckily not up my pant leg:shaking:

Its been a constant fight with rodents this year.
I'm about 1-1/2 hrs. south of the OP and legit I've seen a 5 fold increase over previous years.

We use some stuff called Fresh Cab in our RV, available at Tractor supply. Its pricey , it works , it smells good.
dryer sheets work but the wife hates the smell left behind so those are out.

Started my dozer yesterday and 4 mice came running out of the clutch housing... luckily not up my pant leg:shaking:

Is the predator population down?

I’ve had mice make a home in the mini-ex sprocket access/maintenance area.

Was talking to a neighbor down the road one day when a mouse ran out the engine compartment of the Jeep.

I wish I could keep our bee population as healthy as the mice. We lost 3 hives this year for no discernible reason

I bought my place up here in the woods a few years ago, and I'm still trying to figure this out. Last year, I had a mouse in every trap every night. It was a nightly battle. I had three mice in the same sticky trap at one point.

This year we have these freaking things:
a6a93fa2-5154-4370-934b-08cdc419d91d.jpg

I've got snares up. The last one I shot with the 22 with a bullseye right up the asshole. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh