What's new

m1a barrel length?

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
Ive had two standard m1a rifles but had to sell them when I needed to pay other peoples bills

I have a decent amount of .308 few mags and want to order another one

should I go for the standard 21" barrel or maybe a shorter scout? Not really looking to put a scope on one, unless you think i should? Any input?

Thanks

That depends completely on what you want to do with it.

You'll lose 150-250 fps going from a 21" to an 18" barrel. If you aren't going to put a scope on it and be mostly shooting inside 250 yards or so, the 18" Scout will be a lot handier and won't suffer that much on the ballistics.

That depends completely on what you want to do with it.

You'll lose 150-250 fps going from a 21" to an 18" barrel. If you aren't going to put a scope on it and be mostly shooting inside 250 yards or so, the 18" Scout will be a lot handier and won't suffer that much on the ballistics.

thanks, this is what my research pointed to also. But scouts seem to be in shorter supply and sell for more moneys, so I was hoping there would be a reason to stay with the longer barrel.

Is it a decent rifle to put a scope on for longer distances, or I would be better off with a bolt action or another rifle all together? talking strictly .308

The main problem with scoping the M1A is the side mounted scope mount. It's a workaround for a rifle that was never designed to have a scope. Having said that, the new Springfield mounts are supposed to be pretty good.

Depends upon if you want a shorter brush type rifle, or a bench rifle. I have had a "loaded" M1a since I purchased it in the mid-90's and love that rifle. Its fun to shoot iron sights at long range sometimes. If I want a brush type rifle, I will use my 7.62x39 AR. Ranch Hand is right about the scope mounts. I have a Springfield 2nd gen 4x14 scope for it that I rarely use. It doesn't always stay zeroed.
There are several newer mounts out. Links for reference, I have never purchased from venders

It is kind of fun to pull that big bad boy out when all your buddies are popping away with AR's. Pop, pop, pop, BOOM!!, pop, pop, BOOM!!

Depends upon if you want a shorter brush type rifle, or a bench rifle. I have had a "loaded" M1a since I purchased it in the mid-90's and love that rifle. Its fun to shoot iron sights at long range sometimes. If I want a brush type rifle, I will use my 7.62x39 AR. Ranch Hand is right about the scope mounts. I have a Springfield 2nd gen 4x14 scope for it that I rarely use. It doesn't always stay zeroed.
There are several newer mounts out. Links for reference, I have never purchased from venders

It is kind of fun to pull that big bad boy out when all your buddies are popping away with AR's. Pop, pop, pop, BOOM!!, pop, pop, BOOM!!
Throw a sage EBR stock on it. Whenever I go to the range with mine. Everyone just stops and stares at it.

I have a loaded NM and competently using the NM irons out to 300 yds and further is quite satisfying. Just sayin' is all.

I did toy with the prospect of installing an optic at one time. The mount for which I decided upon, itself, was over $700. Couple that with the price of a decent AND rugged scope and still have the possibility of ejection issues turned me off on the idea. If you want the Scout version, just get a fawking AK...:flipoff2:

Throw a sage EBR stock on it. Whenever I go to the range with mine. Everyone just stops and stares at it.
I configured this one 20 years ago. It's a lot of fun to shoot. It ain't no tack driver though.

Attachments

• PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 49
I like the military issue walnut stock with the cut out for select fire switch that's on it. Nowadays, a wood stocked rifle is a oddity in itself.

When I purchased mine, the shop had four or five of the Loaded M1a's (NM barrel, trigger, and sights, reamed flash hider). We had them all out on the counter and I was looking them over. The shop gunsmith was talking to a customer nearby and came over to where we were at. He started looking them over and told me "get this one". I asked why, he said every part on it is TRW and he could see the care that was taken when it was assembled. They are usually a mix of manufactures. He was pointing out stuff that I really didn't understand, mostly about how the bolt was fitted. That's the one I got and it shoots very well. Only thing I have done to it was have the front band screwed and glued to the gas cylinder to NM specs.

Edit: I also had to install a muzzle break in place of the evil flash hider with bayonet lug that was on it. It kept me from having to register it as a assault weapon in this shitty state. Had to get the break reamed to NM specs. Its actually a little more accurate with the break and follow up shots are quicker, but its much louder. Thank you Kalifornia for making my rifle a better shooter.

Last edited:
My current M1A is in the back. I sold the one in the front. I still have the 2 AR's.
14237646_1438341849515309_6306496965025775829_n.jpg
Come%20And%20Take%20It%20flag%20with%20M14%20small.gif

I would say just get an ar-10 but you are in cali.
The 18" bbl is a whole lot handier than 21" with the long flash hider. The socom 16 is too short in my opinion. They throw a lot of flame and have a brutal concussive bark.
I have a bula with a 21" bbl and wood stock. It doesn't get out to the range much, but it is a good shooter, just long.

You may consider a ruger scout rifle in 308, especially if you want to mount a scope and use detachable mags. That or one of the "precision rifles" though most are heavier.

I've got a loaded version with a 4x14 on it. Using the steel sadlak mount. I can't see very well with the irons and the issue inside my dominant eye so I had to put a scope on it, Heavy with the stainless and wood stock but shoots pretty damn well with quality ammo

20181019_120602.jpg

.308 is just best off with 20" or more

really the only 'rifle' round I can think of that doesn't benefit much from a long barrel is 7.62x39, I just chrono'd a 8" barrel with generic wolf garbage ammo, 2200 fps!
They must load the shit with pistol powder or something

Local shop had a m1a scout for 1695. Was pretty much the same price as the long barreled m1a. Seems to be decent availability on them right now.
20181223_121538.jpg

Last edited:
.308 is just best off with 20" or more

really the only 'rifle' round I can think of that doesn't benefit much from a long barrel is 7.62x39, I just chrono'd a 8" barrel with generic wolf garbage ammo, 2200 fps!
They must load the shit with pistol powder or something

From my Lyman reloading book: I reload my 7.62x39 with the same powder I use for my .357/.44 Mag reloads (IMR4227).

Local shop had a m1a scout for 1695. Was pretty much the same price as the long barreled m1a. Seems to be decent availability on them right now.
20181223_121538.jpg
That one has a nice stock. I really like the feel of the M1a/M-14's. Good shooting rifles. After I bought mine, I got long distance iron sight schooling from a co-worker who had a competition M-14 and she (yes she) could hit a 12" round plate consistently at 1,000 yards with iron sights. I couldn't even see the frigin target but I did hit it a few times with her spotting using her rifle. She could hit a 12" target with mine out to 800 yards. I could only get hits out to 600. Now, I don't think I could do that even with the 4-14 scope. Good thing the driveway on my Arizona property is only a little over 300 yards long.

Edit: Just reminded myself I need to take the M1a out there next time to shoot some holes through the NO TRESSPASSING signs on the gate from the back.

Thanks, I hand rubbed the linseed oil finish on the stock. It really brought out the grain in the wood without making it glossy. I really like the dull luster of a linseed oil finish.
If this was a rifle I planned on using for more than just target shooting, I would have gotten a synthetic stock, maybe a chassis system.
For the shooting I do with it, I will keep it set up as a classic.

Top Back Refresh