What's new

M12 Compact Cut-off Tool - Anyone have one?

giles45shop

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Odessa, FL
Was in Home Depot today and they have the M12 Compact Cut-off tool on sale as a bundle w/a 4.0 battery, charger and a couple blades for $149, which is only $10 than normal price of the bare tool.

It looks like an interesting tool for light duty cutting, just wondering if anyone had one and how useful it was? I have all kinds of cutting tools already (Sawzall, Hackzall, torch, plasma, cut-off wheel/grinder, bandsaw, etc) so it's more just adding something to have in the toolbox for niche applications as opposed to a specific identified need.

Looks like a one-trick pony. Grinder will do that, plus a lot more.

Appreciate the responses! Sounds like a 50/50 at this point. I have a $50 Visa gift card burning a hole in my pocket and was thinking that adding to my collection of red tools is never a bad thing :)

Im curious how good or bad the m12 die grinder or right angle die grinder is....

I have one, along with the M12 die grinder. They are nice to have for light work, but they are not a replacement for air tools in my opinion. I use the cut off for thin material, and a lot of .080 aluminum. It works well for that, but .125" steel would probably be it's limit.

The die grinder is nice for deburring parts of the mill, lathe, saw, etc. I find myself using my air tools more freqently though.

Edit: I remembered the attachement for the cut off that turns it into something like a circular saw. That attachement is really nice for scoring material. I had some .25" lexan that I needed to form, and scoring it worked really well.

GCS0Yn_j-kov348j0zK5YWnGw=w1560-h878-no?authuser=0.jpg

friend has one, it's way too slow for abrasive use
just like the cordless die grinder is way too slow

abrasives need SPEED

I’ve got one, it’s handy for what it is, but if you ever really want to put something through the wringer just get a M18 fuel grinder and put a cutoff wheel on it.

friend has one, it's way too slow for abrasive use
just like the cordless die grinder is way too slow

abrasives need SPEED
Depends on the model. My right angle m12 claims 24k but spins 22,700 rpm on speed 4/4. That’s plenty fast for a 2” abrasive imo.

My straight m12 die grinder only has 3 speeds and is around 20k iirc. I keep burr bits on it.
498B714C-42FF-4CF8-B38C-3EFFC3F4184C.jpeg

Depends on the model. My right angle m12 claims 24k but spins 22,700 rpm on speed 4/4. That’s plenty fast for a 2” abrasive imo.

My straight m12 die grinder only has 3 speeds and is around 20k iirc. I keep burr bits on it.
498B714C-42FF-4CF8-B38C-3EFFC3F4184C.jpeg
huh neat
last time I looked at those they maxed out at like 8k or something dismal

Top Back Refresh