What's new

Lunchboxes?

Well that is new info to me. But I can still say it was certainly strong enough. The v6 third has a beefier case and bearings. And the 4 spider design makes the LB work smoother. The only problem I ever had with v6 carriers is the tendency to spin bears. Many ive opened up had a spun ring gear side bearing. I just punched a million dents into in and pressed em back on with green locktite bearing retainer. I guess a guy could slap a 4cyl carrier into a v6 housing. But that's just weird.
With a V6 3rd member you only see about a 10% increase in strength. its basically a wash between the two. The best thing you can do is torque the adjusters to 150 ft lbs.

With a V6 3rd member you only see about a 10% increase in strength. its basically a wash between the two. The best thing you can do is torque the adjusters to 150 ft lbs.
You're saying preload the shit out of the carrier bearings? I don't think I've ever "torqued" The adjusters. Just snug em up so it's firm but not excessive. I imagine if you go to ham that you could spread the casing. Anyways, the v6 housing is beefed up to prevent ring gear deflection, bearings bigger, plus the mains fit tightly into the axle housing to further prevent spreading. Toyota basically threw everything at it maxing out its potential. The only way they could beat it was the 8.4. They never imagined that people would be running 38s and 100:1.

You're saying preload the shit out of the carrier bearings? I don't think I've ever "torqued" The adjusters. Just snug em up so it's firm but not excessive. I imagine if you go to ham that you could spread the casing. Anyways, the v6 housing is beefed up to prevent ring gear deflection, bearings bigger, plus the mains fit tightly into the axle housing to further prevent spreading. Toyota basically threw everything at it maxing out its potential. The only way they could beat it was the 8.4. They never imagined that people would be running 38s and 100:1.
What I said was quoted from ZUK. I spoke at great lengths with him over this in 2007. If he said it’s a 10% increase in strength I would believe him. 150 ft lbs of torque on the adjusters will do way more to prevent ring gear deflection compared to a carrier bearing that is 5mm in diameter bigger.

Yes, it's the exact same side gear, that's actually the one I broke.

When I had my front V6 3rd built, the carrier bearings were spun, I grabbed another 3rd and they were spun also. Guess it's common :laughing:

Well... I guess I can live with that. If it breaks I'll come here to complain as is tradition :D
Maybe we should start another thread to argue the differences in toyota carriers. Here's another smooth brain question, if the elocker carrier uses the same side gears and spiders as an open v6 carrier, can a lunchbox locker be installed in an elocker carrier/third?:dustin:

Maybe we should start another thread to argue the differences in toyota carriers. Here's another smooth brain question, if the elocker carrier uses the same side gears and spiders as an open v6 carrier, can a lunchbox locker be installed in an elocker carrier/third?:dustin:
a3c204442f0a9f6d22fdfd32f9559a3a.jpg

No, only one side gear is the same, the other is oddball since it's part of the locker :flipoff2:

Oddball “just snug em up” is not the right way to do it. Carrier bearings need preload. And it’s well known that high carrier bearing preload as possible help with gear deflection.
Yes, like a wheel bearing. I'm not saying your sources are wrong. Nor am I saying I'm right. I havent tried running that kind of preload. To me, it could spread the case or gull the bearings. Again, just thinking objectively. It would certainly work, but will it run down the highway for a couple hours? Thing is, I've always set tapered bearings up by feel, except for a Nv4500 I just went through. It got zero end play. Going forward, I will certainly consider this now. On a side note, I wonder how much preload a dana 60/70 has.

Yes, like a wheel bearing. I'm not saying your sources are wrong. Nor am I saying I'm right. I havent tried running that kind of preload. To me, it could spread the case or gull the bearings. Again, just thinking objectively. It would certainly work, but will it run down the highway for a couple hours? Thing is, I've always set tapered bearings up by feel, except for a Nv4500 I just went through. It got zero end play. Going forward, I will certainly consider this now. On a side note, I wonder how much preload a dana 60/70 has.
I’m not smart enough to explain why but don’t put high bearing preload on wheel bearings or in a manual transmission.

See page 8, fwiw.

Specs are 2-6 thou. Why'd you go to zero? Curious as I just finished building mine and ended up 2-3 thou on both counter and main shaft.

Specs are 2-6 thou. Why'd you go to zero? Curious as I just finished building mine and ended up 2-3 thou on both counter and main shaft.
I did a ton of research looking for info on this matter. Surprisingly, there isn't a lot of tech out there. People complain about braking 3rd gear and also about gear chatter. Well no surprise when you're relying heavily on the pocket bearing and thrust bearing to keep the main and input shaft aligned. It goes against everything I know to have end play on tapered rollers. I originally did set it up with 2-3 thou end play and there was a lot of chatter just turning it by hand. I read that the manufacturer revised proceedures and spec'd it tighter. Think it was 1-2. I believe it was the same thread where the guy said he gets them as close to zero as possible without preloading and he hasnt had a single come back. That to me makes sense so I did that and immediately the chatter went away and it was smoother. Some say it will run a little hotter. I think it will loosen up over time anyway. Torque will spread the case under load also. So it remains untested as of now. One day when I finally finish the truck I will update with results on my thread. Man I love a good tangent. Also, i sure like a good ole lunch box, with the thermos.

Top Back Refresh