What's new

Lumber prices WTF?

Some of the local mills are talking layoffs due to lack of demand. They have bunks of lumber stacked for days. Futures have been depressed for a ling time but the stores are still selling stock they bought at higher prices. They aren’t going to take a bath on that unless they absolutely have to. As soon as they are out of the old stock at the DCs they will probably begin to adjust their prices at the stores.

If you have any mills close to you and can justify a bunk it’s significantly cheaper currently vs buying in a store.

We are going to start buying for our build in the spring. Doing a bardominion type thing in 23. Or so I hope…. But the local mills will sell to the public at a much better price.

there is a place about 15 miles from here that does the CCA treated wood. they haul in bundles by rail, treat it then ship it out by truck. BIL worked there a few months ago in the shipping office. Said they supplied all the lumber for Lowe's in the 4 state area. They would not sell to the public even an entire bundle. there is no shortage of lumber though.

How are wood prices doing? Looks like it fell pretty hard. Good time to buy to wait a little?

Need to fix a deck.
Here the prices are still at least 30% up from what they were in September 2019. And the building has slowed enough to justify a drastic drop. The big box stores are trying to recoup losses from what they paid to stock up from over a year ago. If you can find a local mill I would try there first, pending on the size of your order.

How are wood prices doing? Looks like it fell pretty hard. Good time to buy to wait a little?

Need to fix a deck.
Sawmills up here have mostly shut down for a month or so in order to prop up the prices again. My gut says it'll come down some but level off and become the new normal.

BC93D71A-3260-456A-AF6B-7C78745ACFC3.png

Plywood is still stupid

Cabinet grade I mean. I don't ever buy sheathing type.

It's always been expensive but now it's dumb.

A mail in rebate on lumber? Is this Menards, or Best Buy? :laughing:

I haven't ever seen a mail in rebate on timber. EVER. :lmao:
Place will give you a rebate on anything they sell, then mail you a certificate that you can only spend there. It's fucking dumb

Place will give you a rebate on anything they sell, then mail you a certificate that you can only spend there. It's fucking dumb
in my grandpa's day they also used to shut down the asphalt shingle plant and run all of johnny's shingles for the year in a two week span
of course the pallets were about 2/3 the weight of the others...

Top Back Refresh