What's new

Lucas Oil synthetic gear oil.

Thrown_hammer

Doofus
Member Number
Just a FYI. Even though it isn't mentioned on the bottle Lucas Oil synthetic gear oil has friction modifier in it.

On the website it mentions it's great for LSD differentials. I emailed them about it and they confirmed it has friction modifiers in it.

So if you have a ARB it would be a no go.

I suggested they add that information to the bottle.

EDIT: there is mention of limited slip differentials on the back of the bottle, but no mention of friction modifier additive.

Last edited:
arb.png
lucas.png

Why would an ARB care whether there's a friction modifier or not?
I talked to ARB today on the phone. The friction modifier will degrade the o ring seals in the locker prematurely. They recommended not using LSD friction modifier in their lockers.
Screenshot_20210628-124854_Brave.jpg

Last edited:
So it does say "excellent for use in limited slip differentials" under "quiets whining gears" on the bottle. So my bad I didn't recall seeing that when I bought it. So I guess you could assume it has friction modifiers in it based on that statement.

I will edit the original post to reflect that.

If it's like Redline gear oil it's not enough. When I rebuilt the Trak Lok in the rear of my Dodge I used Redline and had to add a couple of bottles of the friction modifier to quiet it up.

Last edited:
If it's like Redline gear oil it's not enough. When I rebuilt the Trak Lok in the rear of my Dodge I used Redline and had to add a couple of bottles of the friction modifier to quit it up.
The guy from Lucas Oil said you could add more as needed, so it might be like Redline.

I figured it wasn't very clear on the Lucas Oil bottle and maybe some people didn't know that ARB says not to use any friction modifier additives with their lockers. I know I didn't. 🙂

Top Back Refresh