What's new

LS Swap Headers for square body rigs?

GFAB

Member Number
I figured I would ask, since everyone is on ls build/tech bandwagon let’s bring up integration. What y’all running for headers in square body rigs with ls engines. The power gains from a long tube is real, is anyone here running them. Any clearance issues with drivetrain? I was planning on running a new take off set of ls3 manifolds from a packaging standpoint, I am too far into my current build to compromise now.

Tim

Have SpeedEngineering long tubes on mine. Fit great, clear transmission (4l60), shackles and front driveshaft. Nice thick flanges too.

Have SpeedEngineering long tubes on mine. Fit great, clear transmission (4l60), shackles and front driveshaft. Nice thick flanges too.

What application are they for?
what engine mounts or location is your engine at also?

im also about to start another k10 swap and was debating going headers.

I used some silverado headers for my dad's 6.0L LS Swap. They were too wide and hit the frame BUT a quick cutoff wheel of the pipes from the flange and reangle them towards the block a bit made them clear perfect.

Also if anyone has some stock LS Truck manifolds in California or who wouldn't mind shipping a set to me let me know. Thanks

toomany Thanks for the info, those seem to be a really nice set of headers at a reasonable price Speed engineering specifically sates not for 4x4 use, the chassis are so close the only thing I can think is front driveshaft clearance was an issue. I don't mind cutting and moving these a little, I generally run V bands in place of flanges on all the muscle car street and will most likely do that here as well. You can purchase that set of headers for cheaper than most build kits. I would like to build a set of true duel 3" out the rear if possible. The ears on my 4l80 will most likely need to be cut. I will be running a Lokar column shifter conversion as well, this wight also post an issue.

Combo for the rig is question:
6.2 L92/LS3 with ICT billet adjustable mounts
4l80
Dana 60
14 bolt

Ill start posting to my build thread later this week.

What application are they for?
what engine mounts or location is your engine at also?

im also about to start another k10 swap and was debating going headers.

They are their 73-87 swap headers. They say not for 4x4 trucks, but they clear just fine. Using Diy4x4 motor mounts.

I'm also using their x-pipe kit.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures from the build, if not I can get some.

Id love to see how they fit.

Here are some from when I put the truck together.

IMG_20190928_133412.jpg

IMG_20190928_133355.jpg

IMG_20190928_215922.jpg

IMG_20190928_215958.jpg

IMG_20191016_204853.jpg

toomany Those long tubes fit damn nice in there. Ill get a set on order and post pics when I get em installed.

Thanks for the pics.

I opted to get the better gaskets and hardware from them as well. I haven't had any leaks whatsoever. For the price, I'm really impressed.

How do these things play with your plug wires, starter wiring, and trans cooler lines. Any issues with things getting crispy?

How do these things play with your plug wires, starter wiring, and trans cooler lines. Any issues with things getting crispy?

I've got heat sleeves on my plug wires. IIRC, one was real close (#3 or 6) and melted the boot. Put the sleeves on and haven't had an issue.

For transmission lines. Originally I bought new ones from GM for my swap donor. They fit and worked out ok. Didn't have any problems routing them past the bellhousing between the block and header. I have since gone to -6 braided lines for the coolers.

Starter wiring wasn't an issue.

Plug access and header bolt access is great. No special tools needed.

I've got vintage air on mine, but I don't see any problems with the factory ac box if you've got one.

IMG_20191127_155713.jpg

Thinking about headers for a MK4 BBC for a 07 Chevy Silverado classic.

The older engine in the newer truck.

Retro..

Thinking about headers for a MK4 BBC for a 07 Chevy Silverado classic.

The older engine in the newer truck.

Retro..

so how dies that have anything to do with this thread?

I like block huggers, the downside they leave a fair amount of power and torque on the table at lower engine speeds (scavenging) that being said they package really well. I have a set pf 1 7/8 primary speed tech long tubes in bound in addition to their 92 mm throttle body. ETA, Saturday... Ill post pics as i get them bolted in. They claim a 3" collector, I should be able to eliminate all exhaust gaskets using V bands. Ill post pics as I start running the tig and getting the exhaust together. The primary size is way to large for a na application, this build has got out of control. I am thinking of using the ls9 supercharger on my pallet rack on this pile. My chevelle deserves that unit, for some reason i am really attached to this square.....

Looks like the headers from speed engineering are delayed. ETA Friday now. Did get tires mounted and installed today.

photo53917.jpg

photo53918.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the headers from speed engineering are delayed. ETA Friday now. Did get tires mounted and installed today.

Looks great! I am looking forward to seeing if the headers work. Post pictures.

These headers are pretty damn impressive for 300 bones. Sorry for the two posts, pics are uploaded from my cell.

In summary, the flange is nice and thick, the material and quality of construction is on par with kooks parts I have run in the past. The stainless is Chinese but still welds fairly well. For 4WD applications, The transfer case needs to be clocked below flat with the bottom of the vehicle to allow driveshaft clearance (I was attempting a flat belly). I am currently clocked near flat, I will need to rebuild my trans cross memeber to use these, I am ok with that. The cylinder #3 spark plug wire will be to close (I am running 1 7/8 units) Ill post pics as i move metal around # 3 plug wire. With everything taken into account, these speed engineering headers were a great deal with very fine quality. Much better than my disk brake conversion brackets I am currently trying to de fuck.

GFAB, any idea of the grade of stainless ?

321 or 316 IMHO are two of the best materials.

They are 304..... standard for a budget header.

They look great! I bought some really cheap ones that I am currently installing. I am having some clearance issues but I will elaborate on that once I figure out if they will work or I am just going to go with the ones you have.

When you guys do any headers on square body's, make sure on the pass side you can remove your shackle/hanger bolts from the outside of the frame rail. Been there done that and it sucked. I can't say anything on the LS swap, but should also check that on the drivers side.

I up as a dealer for speed engineering so if you guys need anything let me know.

Top Back Refresh