What's new

LS SWAP CLASS C RV

If you really want one of those vans, get a long one without the camper crap, and just put beds in it. they made that body all the way to 96 in a 1ton, and they're decent. I have a 96 I picked up awhile back with a 350/4l80 in it, with only 76K on it. its the real long one, longer than the standard lenth.
do you got a pic

He's looking at putting a $500 engine in a near free rv, you think he wants to spend near $20k on a nice one? :laughing:
He's doing it wrong. You're supposed to take the free engine from the RV and put it in a $500 vehicle. :laughing:

Good plan, or E series. Imo, the 6.0 gm is overrated in stock form.
Stock vs stock E-series is the better van by a long shot. Cookie cutter SBC shit is easier to work with if you plan on swapping stuff around though.
The other option would be a box van or truck with some amenities built in.
A good option but way less turnkey.

If you really want one of those vans, get a long one without the camper crap, and just put beds in it. they made that body all the way to 96 in a 1ton, and they're decent. I have a 96 I picked up awhile back with a 350/4l80 in it, with only 76K on it. its the real long one, longer than the standard lenth.

Those 15 passenger vans are kinda sweet. I did some training where they used those. It had the 2 bucket seats in the front, 3 bench seats and still had a good 6' or more behind the seats for shovels and misc tools. Could have easily been a mattress. Or pull them all but one bench and probably have room for 2 mattresses.

Only issue with a savana is the hitch sits low. I loved my 02 2500 passenger van with the 6.0 but never towed the buggy only used the trailer to move stuff. I want to 8.1/4x4 swap one someday.

He's looking at putting a $500 engine in a near free rv, you think he wants to spend near $20k on a nice one? :laughing:

Good plan, or E series. Imo, the 6.0 gm is overrated in stock form.

The other option would be a box van or truck with some amenities built in.
He is going to spend $5-10k swapping the LS/Trans/Fuel management/etc. $500 :laughing:

He is going to spend $5-10k swapping the LS/Trans/Fuel management/etc. $500 :laughing:

It was obviously an exaggeration, but I can guarantee he's not spending $10k. I'm picturing more like a $500 Tahoe, use every possible component from it, then maybe add a few upgrades for more power.

Perhaps look into moving trucks. This way you can make your own "RV" upgrades without having to repair all the little things.

Another vote for full size van with twin bed mattress. Ways ahead from tent camping

Last edited:
Reactions: DMG
^was just getting ready to suggest a slightly newer box van and build rv inside.

here is an update to the story,

went wheeling this weekend and after day 2. the tent life sucks, i had ac and got a shower each night so i was clean on comfortable, my issue is the got dam noise, from simple shit like cars going by on the highway to the crazy ass birds who make a shit ton noise in the am, and then the light coming in at 515 am.

so then we were all bullshitting and one of the buddies i tossing around the idea to sell his 2004 (maybe 2002) 23 foot ford e350 v10 rv with 42000 miles, but there is a catch, when he got it he noticed the sides had some delamination going on and knew he needed to fix that. however on the ride home a chunk few off on the other side . it has been inside storage ever since that so no water damage there, but he just dont want to do it now, going down the pick up camper route.

so this is the route i will most likely do. the inside is nice still, needs good cleaning and a few things.

1656438280353.png

1656438237595.png

i think i am truly excited about it for sure. we are gonna add a big old piece of steel to the back to mount a hitch too, my trailer is small, 16 foot and the rig is 4k so no biggie for the v10.
thinking about air bags too to handle the extra weight that far out back, and maybe dont need it either.

Reactions: DMG
i think i am truly excited about it for sure. we are gonna add a big old piece of steel to the back to mount a hitch too, my trailer is small, 16 foot and the rig is 4k so no biggie for the v10.
thinking about air bags too to handle the extra weight that far out back, and maybe dont need it either.
if at all possible, use the smaller and lighterest piece of mounting tube that you are comfortable with for the hitch

no need to add any more weight back there than absolutely required. Heck, use a smaller tube and brace it /\ several feet forward to add some strength and help tie things together rather than using some 1/4" chunk

agreed , thinking 3/16 and adding a triangle brace would be legit and possible crossmember further back , again just spitballing ideas till i actually get it going

Hate those stupid thin fiberglass paneled motor homes. They all delaminate and it is 95% of the time from water damage.

Parents had a 94 bago Brave with the 454 whopping 6-7 mpg and all the sides delaminate terribly.

so i started a new thread, i found a RV

Top Back Refresh