What's new

LS alternator disconnect

Bebop

Member Number
I have a buggy with a 5.3 Vortec Gen3 engine (LM7) and the stock alternator.
It says DR44 on it and has a 4 wire plug at the back.

I currently have it wired in the following way :

- charge wire 4AWG directly to the battery
- exciter wire directly to switched ignition power via this Holley part ( https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p.../parts/197-400)

It does everything I need it to, and since the charge wire is wired directly to the battery, even if I kill the vehicle with my kill switch, the alternator doesn't fry itself and everything is good and well.

BUT, I would like to find a way to kill the charge wire. Currently it stays live all the time, even when the kill switch is OFF.

I know I could add another switch on the charge wire, but I'm curious about the kill switches I see with an alternator field disconnect etc. I started looking online but it seems that these units only work with alternators that have an external regulator which isn't the case here.

Do you have any experience with something similar with a LS alternator ? How do the race teams wire their cars ?

Thank you

I run a 200 amp continuous duty solenoid in the charge wire from the battery to the alternator. It is deactivated by the same kill switch that kills the rest of the electrical system. (race car).

Top Back Refresh