What's new

LS Air cleaner

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
Good am

so what air cleaner do you run. the simple cone 4 inch air filter hits this pulley. just trying to avoid buying the wrong one over and over.

thanks again.

1679921014975.png

Get a straight piece of 4" tube and move the filter 6" forward

Could you just run a smaller pulley? I'd assume that one is 90mm, you can go down to 60mm as far as I know.

Yeah, you would have to go to a shorter belt. Not saying it is the best option, but an option none the less.

Coming from a guy who’s currently stuck with a filter in line with belt…avoid it at all cost. I’ve had a couple cords come loose on a belt and before I heard the slapping it had cut the filter like a laser beam! Do what it takes to get the filter out in front of the belt with a section of alu. tube or 180° it back around over a valve cover.

Coming from a guy who’s currently stuck with a filter in line with belt…avoid it at all cost. I’ve had a couple cords come loose on a belt and before I heard the slapping it had cut the filter like a laser beam! Do what it takes to get the filter out in front of the belt with a section of alu. tube or 180° it back around over a valve cover.
Very good advice. Thanks

frozenboost.com for the Cobrahead.

Are you running Speed Density? IE, no MAF?

frozenboost.com for the Cobrahead.

Are you running Speed Density? IE, no MAF?
Looks like it could be the place for me to get some exhaust elbows? I need to get rid of some kinks in my system. Had an exhaust shop do it and they could not make sharp enough bends in a couple places. So, I need to cut them out and improve them.

What is speed denisty. ?
It’s a type of tuning to run an engine without the MAF. It’s a calculation to determine mass air flow by MAP & IAT data.

Not as ‘perfect’ as a MAF but negligible in your application, though. Not a dragster where 1 hp matters.

I suppose you can use MAF, if desired, in the pipe if you take up Bullitt1 advice via move the filter further forward.

and let me just say this. i maybe talking out my ass and getting sensors wrong or what not. my very first time dealing with LS. been a toyota propane 22r guy for ever.

It’s a type of tuning to run an engine without the MAF. It’s a calculation to determine mass air flow by MAP & IAT data.

Not as ‘perfect’ as a MAF but negligible in your application, though. Not a dragster where 1 hp matters.

I suppose you can use MAF, if desired, in the pipe if you take up Bullitt1 advice via move the filter further forward.
Find me a dragster that runs a MAF please.

chaplinfj60 : You're running speed density, and you have your sensors right, no worries. FiTech, like most aftermarket ECUs does not use a MAF sensor.

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor

maxresdefault.jpg

More info if you want to dig in:

Last edited:
Bebop I think you understand what I meant, though.

Maybe? Seems to me that you're a fan of MAF, which IMO only makes tuning easier on a standard intake setup / engine but is far from being needed in an aftermarket / performance application.

Yeah, speed density won't care where your air filter is. Pipe it to wherever's convenient to you.

Maybe? Seems to me that you're a fan of MAF, which IMO only makes tuning easier on a standard intake setup / engine but is far from being needed in an aftermarket / performance application.
It also updates tables and deals with environmental variables better providing better efficiency. As both of you are saying, not needed in this application.

Top Back Refresh