What's new

Low cog vs ground clearance

Cheapzuk

Member Number
Hi guys, first post here. I have a samurai on 36tsls w/ 15” beadlocks. Pretty much I want to get on a sticky tire for cheap. Looking at 35” maxxis roxxzilla side by side competition tires.
My samurai is allready tall- ish on 36s. Stepping down to 35s I would want to lower the suspension a couple inches.
My question is if I lower it, I’m going to lose some belly clearance and catch on more rocks. will I benefit from lowering the rig and putting it on a much better but slightly smaller tire?
17s and real stickies is outta the question unless a stupid good deal on used ones came up.

Attachments

• 32F107B1-DE21-467A-91BE-BED131395112.jpeg
    32F107B1-DE21-467A-91BE-BED131395112.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 137
I think some folks will chime in about a 37 sxs sticky for 15” wheels. I swear they exist. I just can’t seem to find em.

How low is your belly, is it smooth, do you drag a lot now? My rig was 16" to plastic belly with 113wb when it was first built. I raised it 1" for more up travel and my new tires lifted it 1" but even at 18" on 40's it's fairly low for a coil over rig. I drag my belly but it was smooth and rarely hangs me up. I would not give up my low COG for a better break over angle.

I think some folks will chime in about a 37 sxs sticky for 15” wheels. I swear they exist. I just can’t seem to find em.
The only ones I have seen are Tensor's. Very limited production going mostly to sponsored race teams. They are also a desert tire, not sure they would be any good in the rocks.

I'm almost positive those 35s will be taller than the 36s.
That’s good to hear. I can get them cheap through a dealer friend.

My frame rails about 21” off ground. Tcase hangs a hair below that. I drag over things as it is, but it usually doesn’t get hung up. Didn’t know if going a couple inches lower would make it more prone to get hung, or does the benefit of low center of gravity out weigh.

My frame rails about 21” off ground. Tcase hangs a hair below that. I drag over things as it is, but it usually doesn’t get hung up. Didn’t know if going a couple inches lower would make it more prone to get hung, or does the benefit of low center of gravity out weigh.

My first samurai was 104" with an 18" belly and 37s. Never felt it was too low, but every terrain is different.

Get that belly smooth and let it slide over stuff and don't worry about the lower height.

I would almost lower the car on purpose at this point.

Ge tthe 35s and like Tech Tim said, get the belly smooth. Easy to do with new tcase mounts on a Sami.

FYI, my buggy (not really the same, I know) has a 18" belly on 43s and I love it.

My tcase is
Let it drag!

Whats the plan to lower it?
Raise rear coil spring mounts, and for the front set the shackle mount into the frame (kind of like a lot of the yota guys do and the set front leaf hanger into the frame the same amount to keep pinion angle the same

French rear link mounts up a bit too? Do they hang down? Do you feel it needs to come down, or just because a 35 may be smaller?

My frame is at 24, skidplate is at 22 on 38 with a 126 wheelbase. It drags, I get caught on the rear spring hangers sometimes. But it works.

More sweet pics of your sammy.
0815201713_HDR.jpg
0815201653_HDR.jpg
0523211114_HDR.jpg

Top Back Refresh