What's new

Looks like Pirate already crashed

Web traffic. They rake in a ton of cash from advertising, specifically Google AdSense. The site itself it's worth much, but the ads probably generate in the millions annually per site for very little effort or overhead.

But... if you kill a forum... don't you lose traffic? Or is the typical Google search traffic greater than member traffic, so membership doesn't really matter as they're making ad revenue off of archived content?

No shit? :confused:

So it does work.

Yeah, their whole business model is just buying up high traffic forums then mostly sitting on them. They're fairly active in changing shit on some of the other forums they own, but tbh I'm surprised they've mostly left Pirate alone. Especially considering how strict Google is about content on AdSense sites.

Who, Greg?

Which Greg?

That Greg???

:flipoff2:

EDIT: I'll take his bullshit over EvilTwat's any day -
- I think Twat is like that in real life, while "!!!11!!!" is just being a dick online :laughing:

Dear God what have you done...

🤣

But... if you kill a forum... don't you lose traffic? Or is the typical Google search traffic greater than member traffic, so membership doesn't really matter as they're making ad revenue off of archived content?

Random traffic probably far outweighs membership activity. Logout and look at how many ads show up on there now. The site probably paid for itself within a year and now the overhead is paying for the domain, server hosting, and software licensing which can be bought in bulk for next to nothing. They probably cover the overhead per forum in the first week of the year.

When they recently did the "upgrade" to JKO, no content was lost . . . just the formatting, smilies, look, feel, and character :homer:

That upgrade was abysmal. Now, let's see what happens.

Wonder who got the honor of being the last post of the ole mighty pbb?
gunna be interesting to see what spammer is post #1 on the new site.

I was wondering why I couldn't post anything over there! Tons of great knowledge there, hope it doesn't disappear. Guess we still have internet archives we can pull the awesome info from if needed.

They must be putting the screws to it. Wonder if it will end up like their phone app.

Top Back Refresh