What's new

Looking for stock spring measurement

SNWMBL

Member Number
Posted on another Zuk forum but this place seems like it gets more traffic. I’m looking for some help with a measurement from a Samurai.

I am building a small off road trailer. I am using OME rear Samurai springs part CSO38R and factory Suzuki shackles and bushings.

Could someone please measure the center to center distance from the leaf spring mount bolt (at spring hanger) to the upper shackle bolt at the frame? Trying to save myself some time and just copy the distance Suzuki used.

Thanks.

Measure along the spring eye to eye, subtract the shackle length eye to eye, then add about 1"

That will give you your spring hanger to shackle hanger distance.

I read the Wilson leaf spring tech thread prior to posting. Should be free length along arch - shackle length + 1/2”. I was hoping to compare to a stock Samurai frame to see how close it was to that measurement.

I’ll keep that in mind and tack the hangers to see how it looks before I weld it up.

Using a string and following the longest main leaf the springs are 41.25” c to c of the eyes. Shackle is 2.75” c to c.

So front hanger to shackle hanger should be 39.5”?

That doesn’t seem right. Because the spring eyes are 37.625” in a straight line so that puts the shackle mount nearly 2” behind the spring eye. What am I missing?

Do you know what a stock Samurai is?

IMG_6955.jpeg

Last edited:
Whipped up this setup. I want it soft since it’s for a trailer. At 37” c to c I could jump on it and get the shackle to hit my shop floor, way too soft. 37.5” was better but still seemed a bit soft. 38” c to c seems like the sweet spot which is where it’s at now.

It’s not even close to what the formula says so I’m glad I tested it.

I would still be curious to know what a samurai is.

IMG_6962.jpeg

That will lock back if you actually use all that travel.

Those are very short shackles for that much arch on a leaf.

"glad I tested it" :laughing: :flipoff2:

They are OME springs designed for the rear of a Samurai with stock shackle. As far as I am aware OME does not sell a longer shackle. Hindsight is 20/20, originally was thinking I’d just slap it together to Samurai specs. Probably should have just built shackles. Shackle length formula of arched length (41.25) - straight eye to eye (38) says I need a 3.25” shackle.

Seeing as how a trailer won’t articulate, the travel I’m getting out of the shorter shackles should be adequate. The springs still compress quite a bit.

Got a response from someone with a Samurai that was able to measure, 38-5/8”.

If you get some weight on that trailer and get on a rough road, locking the shackles back would be pretty likely.

The good thing is that you could easily just bolt on longer shackles to fix it.

Or just build it right the first time.

Top Back Refresh